Did you mean: 

Place 3D object in 2D drawing

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
rfayner
4802 Views, 28 Replies

Place 3D object in 2D drawing

I have  "Workplace mechanical" created 2D drawing and I want to place the 3D object created in another drawing in 3D modeling workplace.

When I turn the 2d drawing into 3D drawing to rotate my 3d object it messes up the 2d drawing.

Please, advise the process to have the 3d object in 2D drawing

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
nikm42Q9N
in reply to: rfayner

you need to use viewports in paper space. one viewport for the 2d work and one for the 3d object. separate viewports can be orientated differently. Also if you just have the 3d object there is the command view base that will layout the object in paper space in top, side, front , iso views  

Message 3 of 29
dany_rochefort

You can insert 3d elements into 2d autocad. You just can't create 3d elements and or modifiy them. But you do have access to X,Y,Z coordinates, albeit with certain limitations. 

Message 4 of 29
rfayner
in reply to: dany_rochefort

The way I see it, the Viewbase command world for Inventor application and
requires Autodesk Inventor Files (.iam, .ipt, .ipn). In my case there are
two .dwg file one 2D drawing and another one 3D drawing.

The viewports command would not either because it splits existing the file
in different viewports but what I need is to bring the object from another
file.

Please, advise and provide me with more details...

Message 5 of 29
Valentin-WSP

Hello @rfayner,

Please post your 2D and 3D drawing for all to troubleshoot, or explain your issue thru a Screencast.

However, I agree with @nikm42Q9N suggestion (message 2).  

Note that VIEWBASE will create "a base view from model space or Autodesk Inventor models".   Check this VIDEO on how it works.

Also consider this link:  Introduction to Layouts and Viewports - Video

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 6 of 29
rfayner
in reply to: Valentin-WSP

The Viewbase command does not work in this case because system is looking for "Autodesk Inventor Files (.iam, ipt,. ipn).

I have attached Platform 2D and  Platform3D drawings for your reference and I wonder if you can assist me with it.

Message 7 of 29

@dany_rochefort wrote:

You can insert 3d elements into 2d autocad. You just can't create 3d elements and or modifiy them. .... 

There is no such thing as "2D AutoCAD."  Regular AutoCAD has full 3D capability, whether or not you make use of it in a given drawing.  It may have limitations in 3D compared to some other software such as Inventor, but it can do very complex things in 3D.  There's no reason you can't put a 3D object into a drawing that is otherwise all 2D, but I agree that a more detailed description or screencast illustrating the issue would be helpful.  That is, @rfayner , since you can't "turn the 2d drawing into 3D drawing" [it already is one, even if everything in it lies flat in the XY plane], what does it mean that "it messes up the 2d drawing"?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 8 of 29
rfayner
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

So is it way to place the 3D image in to 2D drawing.

If there is please provide with steps.

Message 9 of 29
Valentin-WSP

@rfayner ,

You want something like this?

ValentinWSP_0-1645553828065.png

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 10 of 29
nikm42Q9N

what are you trying to do? its not very clear what your saying.

Are you looking for something like the attached? where it just shows all views in one sheet?

Message 11 of 29
Kent1Cooper

@rfayner wrote:

So is it way to place the 3D image in to 2D drawing. ....

That is a very different thing from putting a 3D object into a drawing as it was worded in Messages 1 & 4.  What are you really trying to do?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 12 of 29
rfayner
in reply to: nikm42Q9N

Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to do.

Can you provide me with steps to combine these two drawings.

Message 13 of 29
nikm42Q9N

1. drop 3d drawing into model space of 2d file

2. create a new sheet in paper space ( this is were your template/sheet border should be stored)

3. enter MV for viewport command draw box and put 2d drawing to whatever scale you want

4 create a second VP put in corner of page and double click in viewport and change to an ISO view

5. Put viewport boxes on a non print layer.

All AutoCAD 101 stuff my dude you should go to YouTube and study some things 

Message 14 of 29
nikm42Q9N

also you should really look into VIEWBASE command though depending on what Autocad you have it can be hit or miss ( does not work well in 2018 or 2019 I believe) 

Message 15 of 29
Valentin-WSP

@rfayner ,

Copy and Paste your 3D in your 2D drawing. Use viewports and layers to costumize your view. See attached drawing in message 9.

Emilio Valentin
Message 16 of 29
rfayner

Here is my steps:

1. Copy the 3D image and paste it in to 2D. When I do it the 3d image disappears and it turns objects to flat.

rfayner_0-1645559393651.png

2. In a model space bring Viewports command and select two vertical viewports.

3. Open Layout 1 and navigate to two different viewports to select different areas. (See file attached).

Problems - 3D object is shown as a flat objects. Two viewports do not cover the entire drawing and does not look nice.

Please advise.

Message 17 of 29
rfayner

Copy and paste works and that's what I used before. But it bring as
attached image and it turns to black when you pan thru the drawing.

So I need another solution.
Message 18 of 29
nikm42Q9N

double click in viewport and hover mouse at top right corner there are 2 drop down list one for views and one for visual styles. Selected SW isometric for view and conceptual for visual style.

Also you are going to need to use 3drotate in model space to flip your model to the correct side 

Message 19 of 29
rfayner

When I hover the mouse to the upper right corner there are only two options:
The cube with N,S,W,E directions and the WCS icon.
None of them allows me to switch to the SE Isometric view. Plus even I can
turn this object it still shown as a frame line and not as a shaded object.
{Please, advise
Message 20 of 29
nikm42Q9N

My bad upper left

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report