Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PICKFIRST variable changing from 1 to 0 'on its own'

35 REPLIES 35
Message 1 of 36
ziolek.ola
3638 Views, 35 Replies

PICKFIRST variable changing from 1 to 0 'on its own'

I browsed thrugh the forums and I already know that the PICKFIRST does not change itself randomly, but it's caused by one of my actions. So I tried to look for that action that causes PICKFIRST to switch in the command line log. I scrolled up and this is what i found:

Command: w MATCHPROP
Select source object:
Current active settings: Color Layer Ltype Ltscale Lineweight Transparency Thickness PlotStyle Dim Text Hatch Polyline Viewport Table Material Multileader Center object
Select destination object(s) or [Settings]:
Select destination object(s) or [Settings]:
Command: _u _CVPORT
**** System Variable Changed ****
2 of the monitored system variables have changed from the preferred value. Use SYSVARMONITOR command to view changes.

SYSVARMONITOR says that PICKFIRST AND SELECTIONPREVIEW were changed to 0.

I usually work with three viewports in my model tab. But i've never used the CVPORT command. If I understand it correctly, with CVPORT I can switch between my viewports by typing 2, 3 or 4. But i always do it normally, by clicking inside the viewport.

The 'system variable changed' occurs only when I do the MATCHPROP between two viewports (which I do very often), but then undo the process. Tried it with different commands like COPY or MOVE and nothing like that happens.

Now, I found the action that I do that triggers the PICKFIRST switch - I just don't understand WHY it happens!
What is autocad's reasoning for this switch????

Why is it connecting PICKFIRST with MATCHPROP of all things????

And more importantly: HOW TO STOP IT????????

please help

I hope I sound desperate enough

35 REPLIES 35
Message 21 of 36

yes it does. no matter how i enter the matchprop command it changes the variable when i ctrl-z. same if i type UNDO or click the undo icon [the back arrow].

then, if i do these steps which result in PICKFIRST changed to 0 and do it again i do not get the pop up about the changed variable. PICKFIRST just stays in 0. so my process doesn't switch the PICKFIRST variable back and forth but just forces the change to 0.

Message 22 of 36
ziolek.ola
in reply to: pendean

as i stated before, during those two years i changed offices. in this new office i got a new computer and freshly bought autocad LT 2020 [now upgraded to 2021]. the only thing connecting the computer in my old office and this new one is that list of shortcut aliases that i copied from my txt file. i did not open any files from the old office on this computer.

Message 23 of 36
ziolek.ola

i did it again using only icons, not my shortcuts.
it also does not depend on the number of viewports i divide the screen into.

Message 24 of 36
pendean
in reply to: ziolek.ola

Like I wrote earlier, you have something else going on with modelspace multi-viewports, LT2021 here does not behave like your videos at all. Zip. Nada.

Try an uninstall/reinstall of LT2021 right now, then test again. here is the correct procedure (bottom half of the page) https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Recommen...
Message 25 of 36
ziolek.ola

okay, i'll do it tomorrow as today i'm too busy with drawing. thanks for help and see you soon

Message 26 of 36
cadffm

I followed your Screencast an it is understandable in 2021, also in 2020 and 2019

There are more known BUGs with Undo..

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 27 of 36
ziolek.ola

as promised i uninstalled and reinstalled the autocad.

from autodesk programs i also have the autodesk desktop app and the screencast. should i have uninstalled them too? cause i didn't.

on the clean and fresh autocad LT 2021 i recreated the process.

i struggled with all the additional clicking of the ribbon [that's why i prefer the oldstyle clutter where i can see everything at once without switching the tabs back and forth][i operate mainly on my shortcuts anyway...]

the end result was just the same.

moreover, i used my coworker's computer with autocad LT 2018. he was working on a more complicated file. the process did not work on his file. the last command i got was _u match properties GROUP. i don't know what that means and i can't find info on this. then, still on his computer, i created a new file. and in this file the process worked just as in my case.

i also opened that more complicated file on my own computer and, weirdly enough, sometimes i got the PICKFIRST change and sometimes the match properties GROUP command. and i did the process on both the existing lines and the lines i drew myself. it was random [or at least i didn't see anything that would spark it].

then i went to my boss's computer with full autocad 2013 and i didn't get the PICKFIRST change in the complicated file nor in a new file.

Message 28 of 36
m.jadczak

as promised i uninstalled/reinstalled the autocad.

apart from the autocad i also have the autodesk desktop app and the screencast. should i have uninstalled them too? cause i didn't.

the video shows the process on a clean, freshly installed autocad LT 2021.

i struggled with all the additinal clicking the ribbon expects me to do to get anywhere [that's why i prefer my oldstyle clutter. i can access everything at a glance without clicking back and forth][i mainly use my shortcuts anyway...]

well, the result was identical.

moreover, i went to my coworker's computer with autocad LT 2018. he was working on a more complicated drawing. i did the process there and the variable did not change. instead i got a command _u match properties GROUP. i don't know what it means and i can't find any info on that. after that i created a new file and tried the process and the PICKFIRST was switched like in my case.

i went back to my own computer and opened the complicated file. weirdly enough, first i got the match properties GROUP command, and the second time i got the variable changed. i did it by both matching properties of existing lines and lines i drew myself. the result was random [or at least i did not see what could spark it].

then i tried it on boss' computer with full autocad 2013. the PICKFIRST did not change in the complicated file nor in a new file.

Message 29 of 36
ziolek.ola

as promised i uninstalled/reinstalled the autocad.

apart from the autocad i also have the autodesk desktop app and the screencast. should i have uninstalled them too? cause i didn't.

the video shows the process on a clean, freshly installed autocad LT 2021.

i struggled with all the additinal clicking the ribbon expects me to do to get anywhere [that's why i prefer my oldstyle clutter. i can access everything at a glance without clicking back and forth][i mainly use my shortcuts anyway...]

well, the result was identical.

moreover, i went to my coworker's computer with autocad LT 2018. he was working on a more complicated drawing. i did the process there and the variable did not change. instead i got a command _u match properties GROUP. i don't know what it means and i can't find any info on that. after that i created a new file and tried the process and the PICKFIRST was switched like in my case.

i went back to my own computer and opened the complicated file. weirdly enough, first i got the match properties GROUP command, and the second time i got the variable changed. i did it by both matching properties of existing lines and lines i drew myself. the result was random [or at least i did not see what could spark it].

then i tried it on boss' computer with full autocad 2013. the PICKFIRST did not change in the complicated file nor in a new file.

Message 30 of 36
ziolek.ola

as i promised i uninstalled/reinstalled my autocad.
i also have the autodesk desktop app and screencast on my computer. should i have uninstalled them too? cause i didn't.

the video shows how i recreated the process in the fresh new autocad LT 2021 with no modifications.
i struggled through all the additional clicking the ribbon worces me to do to get anywhere [that's why i prefer the oldschool clutter where i can access everything at a glance without clicking back and forth][i mainly work on my shortcuts anyway...]
the result was just the same.

moreover, i went to my coworker's computer with autocad LT 2018 to check this behaviour. he was working on a more complicated file. i did the process and it did not change the variable. instead i got a command _u match properties GROUP. i don't know what it means and i can't find any info on it. but then i created a new empty file and it indeed changed the PICKFIRST to 0.
then i went back to my own computer and opened the complicated file. at first i got the match properties GROUP result but the second time i got the variable changed. i tried it a few times with the existing lines and lines that i drew myself and it was random [at least i don't know what sparked it].
after that i also checked my boss' computer with full autocad 2013. the variable didn't change in the complicated drawing nor in the new empty file.

Message 31 of 36
cadffm

As i tried to say:

I can reproduce this in 2019,2020,2021 (not in 2013)

I guess everyone (you included) who can not replicate this, did a mistake what means - gone another way or using older products.

UNDOCTL 53 = Default value

The problem is the Viewport switch between command start and source AND between target object selection.

Then in all three versions on my side, the undo command (or whatever) struggles with an internal Pickfirst handling.

Start matchprop by the way you like

switch the viewport by clicking into or use CTRL+R

select source object

switch the viewport by clicking into or use CTRL+R

select the target object.

=> Pickfirst will switch to 0

You should start an AutoDESK Support case and report the bug.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 32 of 36
ziolek.ola
in reply to: cadffm

thank you for your help, i will do that

Message 33 of 36
DavidDillonJr

For me the happens every single time I use the UCS command. What are the chances you changed the UCS?

Like you change the UCS in one drawing and that PICKFIRST command variable keeps onto the next drawing until I change it back. That was a thorn in my side until i figured that out.

David Dillon
Message 34 of 36
sbutler502

Maddening behavior.

Thank you for posting.

Civil3D 2024

Message 35 of 36
Ed.Jobe
in reply to: sbutler502

@sbutler502 wrote:

Maddening behavior.

Thank you for posting.

Civil3D 2024

You can always use SYSVARMONITOR to notify you if it changes and easily reset it.

Ed

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 36 of 36
pendean
in reply to: sbutler502

@sbutler502 wrote:

Maddening behavior.

As noted by others, stay informed this way

https://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2024/ENG/?guid=GUID-82BACF96-AC90-446A-8E60-3CC3072F8060#:~:tex...

or dive into creating reactors to address it

https://help.autodesk.com/view/OARX/2024/ENU/?guid=OARX-RefGuide-AcEditorReactor__pickfirstModified#...

If you only wish to wait on Autodesk: start a support ticket from your accounts page and seriously complain to them. And often. Then ask everyone in your office to do the same. Often. All year long. For years.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report