Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Path Array Increasing Distance

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
3480 Views, 22 Replies

Path Array Increasing Distance

I need to array blocks along a path with the distance increasing by a factor of 1.03 for each spacing.

Is there a way to do that?

Tags (1)
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
imadHabash
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Array command usually creates objects by fix and specified distances NOT as you asked,and as i know by autocad there is no way to do that.

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 23
TheCADnoob

im not aware of a way to do this out of the box. You might be able to get it done with a lisp but i don't think it will be an array once you are finished. i have seen a block do something like this though im not exactly sure if it was not just triggering visibility states. 

If the array isn't that long i might just array at 1.03 then explode and then start deleting the items on the intervals you don't need. 

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 4 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

At present, this is not a capability in the Array Command.

As @TheCADnoob suggested, If I were going to do this I would simply do an array at the regular interval and then erase the entities that I did not want. I am sorry there isn't anything more elegant as a solution. Perhaps if you check the LISP forum you might find something there.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADnoob

@TheCADnoob wrote:

im not aware of a way to do this out of the box. You might be able to get it done with a lisp but i don't think it will be an array once you are finished. i have seen a block do something like this though im not exactly sure if it was not just triggering visibility states. 

If the array isn't that long i might just array at 1.03 then explode and then start deleting the items on the intervals you don't need. 

You can use formulas in the distance fields on the ribbon when setting distances Between, etc.  What would the formula look like for this application? (my brain is too tired for math right now).  

Message 6 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous, I took a look at this and I think you would need to have an increment loop (such as one you could create in LISP). I am not sure how you could do this differently.

(Distance * x) where x increments by a value of 1 for y number of times.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

@john.vellek wrote:

Hi @Anonymous, I took a look at this and I think you would need to have an increment loop (such as one you could create in LISP). I am not sure how you could do this differently.

(Distance * x) where x increments by a value of 1 for y number of times.

That is indeed the consensus around the office too!  I was hoping that it could be done simply.

Message 8 of 23
TheCADnoob

EDIT: ack... if i would have read a little further i could have saved my self a post hehe sorry

That forumla (as i gather) is executed once to obtain a value and not per unit placemnt

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 9 of 23
wispoxy

Hello @Anonymous,

- Select an item in the array.
- Click Items panel > Item Spacing on the contextual ribbon tab.
- Enter a distance.

Message 10 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: wispoxy

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello @Anonymous,

- Select an item in the array.
- Click Items panel > Item Spacing on the contextual ribbon tab.
- Enter a distance.

How will this accomplish what the OP needs?  

Message 11 of 23
wispoxy

If he's talking actual points / objects within a path, then Inventor would be a better program. AutoCAD is not good for tasks like that. I've read something in the past where someone referenced spacing off of an excel file, but never read further into it.
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: wispoxy

Thanks for the replies.  Unfortunate that there is no easy way to do this.  

I should get to work.  I've got a few hundred blocks to space out.  Ha.

Message 13 of 23
elshawadfy

Hi @Anonymous,

- As said before, there is no simple way of doing this in AutoCAD..

- 3Ds max can do this with ease in rectangular arrays, not on a path though..

All I can offer you is a couple of work arrounds that can ease your suffering a bit 🙂 - provided that:

1- The path is streight,

2- Assuming the distances are A,B,C,D ... And A/B/C/D is a constants - but A,B,C,D... are not nessesarely equal)..

3- A/B/C/D.... is a constant that you use frequently..

Here is what you can do, Method 1:

1- You can create a custom MLine, where the distances between lines are A,B,C,D... (you can scale it as you like afterwards as you like.. The distances A,B,C,D will cahnge but A/B/C/D... will remain constant).. in your case, offsets from 0 will be: 1; (1+1.03^1=2.03); (2.03+1.03^2=3.0909....)

2- You can draw the MLine perpendecular to the path to define the insertion points, Set the scale to Distance A, and the justification to bottom (to start with the first distance)..

3- Then using the copy command you can place our blocks..

Obviously tis too much work to be used once, but if that factor (1.03) is used frequently, this will actually save you a lot of time and calculations..

----------------

A similar approach, woul be

1- To create a block "B" contaning smaller blocks "A" with the offsets between them set as mentioned (1, 2.03...) ,

2- When ever you need edit the block "B" and replace the block "A" inside with the distributed block - or redefine "A" to contain it,

3- Insert and scale "B" with factor of actual distance A,

4- Explode "B" , then rescale the distributed blocks from the properties palette.. (If you redefined block "A" instead of replacing it, a second explode is requred to not have it changed when repeating the steps with another block)

Finally, good luck my friend -- (You most certainly need it !! 🙂 )

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: elshawadfy

Thanks elshawadfy.

Unfortunatley the path is curved.  

I've questioned how precise the measurements have to be.  ie. along the arc or a straight line.   Might be able to simplify the task.  

Still going to be tedious.

Message 15 of 23
elshawadfy

If it's an arc of a circle, you can still use the ML method, you will just need some adjustments:

1- New distance (offset from 0 in ML) Dn = R* sin ( Do/) in radians], where Do is the Old Dist (from the distances we calculated previously); R is the radius of the arc..

2- Draw the ML from the Arc Center to the first pont of insertion on the arc..

------- .But sadly that would mean you need a specific ML for each radius 😞 .. 

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous

Its a polyline with lots of segments.   The curves vary amongst all the paths.  Think I'm out of luck.  Its nearly the weekend!!

Message 17 of 23
elshawadfy

The only remaning solution now would be programming.. If a moderator moved the toppic to a programming & customization section in the forum, you may find a solution there..

Message 18 of 23
elshawadfy

This drawing contains a dynamic block, with 2 custom properties: Initial Distance & Multiplier.. you can change any of them, and the distribution lines will change accordingly (This also works for straight lines only)

-------------

(The file also contains a ML as described before)..

Message 19 of 23
john.vellek

Hi SLE33,

I am checking back to see if my post or others helped you with your problem. Please add a post with your results so other Forum users can benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts fully solved your issue or answered your question.

If you like I can move this to the customization forum too.

John Vellek

Message 20 of 23
Anonymous

That's very good. Wish it could track a path as well. Appreciate the effort.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report