Paper space Scale problem

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
3080 Views, 4 Replies

Paper space Scale problem

Hello

I can not figure it out on my own. No matter what I do, it doesn't work.
Anybody, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
When I create a PDF file out of paper space and print itscale is not 1'=20'. It's slightly smaller.....

Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
nrz13
in reply to: Anonymous

Make sure "Fit to paper" is not checked when creating the PDF from AutoCAD in the PLOT settings, and also make sure that the PDF is being printed from your PDF program without scaling.  It'll probably say something like "Fit", or "Scale to fit", or "Fit to printer margins".  You want to print to "Actual size", or "No scaling", or similar from your PDF program.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 3 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

just want to add to the valid suggestions from @nrz13  ...

>> When I create a PDF file out of paper space and print it

>> scale is not 1'=20'. It's slightly smaller.....

Please first verify if the PDF is incorrect or later then the plot.

Then you know if you need to correct the plot settings inside AutoCAD or you need to correct the settings of your PDF-viewer when printing the file.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 5
ChicagoLooper

You are trying to plot paperspace and that's good. Your titleblock is in modelspace and that's bad. You can do this to MOVE your titleblock to paperspace, where it belongs and should be, and correctly plot to an 11x17 sheet at 1"= 20'.

NOTE:

Your current sheet size on your layout tab is not 11'x17." It's actually 339" tall and 220" wide. Your plot configuration is not your issue, it's your sheet size, it's too big!

CREATE A NEW LAYOUT TAB

1. Right click on your current 11x17 layout tab=>New Layout
  2. Right click on the newly created tab and rename it to 11x17(NEW). The new sheet will default to 8.5" X 11". (Image-1) You will modify the new sheet to 11 x 17 next.

Image-1.Image-1.

PLOT SETTINGS FOR 11X17 PORTRAIT & REMOVE 'NON-PRINTABLE' AREAS RUNNING ALONG THE SHEET'S BORDER

1. Make your plot settings as shown. Change your plotter's driver to AutoCAD PDF (General Documentation).pc3  to make your PDF. This PDF driver accommodates many 11x17 sheets. Use the e-x-a-c-t sheet that's shown. Be careful, some of 11x17 sheet descriptons look alike. (Image-2)
  2. In steps 6 thru 11, you'll go to the Properties section of the plot window. This is where you will modify the 'Printable Area' or the area that's demarcated by the light gray dashed line running along, and parallel, to the paper's edge you see on the new layout tab. You want that dotted line to go all the way to the edge so you can maximize your printable area and prevent your objects from getting cut-off. (Objects extending beyond the dashed line will be displayed on your monitor but due to being in the non-printable area, they won't print).   
  3. You can rename your plot configuration by adding '_rev2' to the end of AutoCAD PDF (General Documentation), i.e., AutoCAD General Documentation)_rev2. Save and exit the plot settings.

Note: If you also want plot to 11x17 landscape, you'll need to do two things: (a) change the paper size from  ANSI full bleed B 11.00x17.00 Inches to ANSI full bleed B 17.00x11.00 Inches and (b) modify the printable area for this new sheet. It's considered a 'new sheet' because it has a slightly different description. You may save these additional settings to the same  pc3 file you saved for the portrait orientated sheet, the one with _rev2 added to the end, because both 'sheet descriptions' can live side-by-side in the same pc3 file. Whenever you plot to 11x17 or 17x11 AutoCAD will remember all the pc3 settings for you.

Image-2Image-2

MOVE YOUR TITLEBLOCK FROM MODELSPACE TO PAPERSPACE

1. From modelspace select your titleblock and notes=>copy to clipboard
  2. Past contents of clipboard to paperspace.

You'll immediately notice your titleblock is too big. You'll need to resize it so it will fit on your 17" high X 11" wide sheet. Use the SCALE command to resize you titleblock using the outer rectangle as your guide by making the vertical edge of the outer rectangle exactly 17 inches tall, no more and no less. All objects 'inside the outer rectangle will scale accordingly.

FINAL LAYOUT

1. With the titleblock properly moved from model to paperspace, it will look like this. (Image-3) Notice the viewport has been resized to fit inside the titleblock and not around it.
  2. Activate the titleblock to center your survey. Adjust the viewport scale to your liking. 

Image-3 (monochrome.ctb)Image-3 (monochrome.ctb)

ADITIONAL NOTES:

When you're done plotting, you may save this drawing with .dwt extension, the proper extension for an AutoCAD template. Before saving the template to dwt, delete all objects in modelspace so it's completely blank. Save only the 11x17(NEW) layout tab objects. Becuase you have moved your titleblock from model to paperspace, you can now reuse this titleblock for future drawings. You'll still need to revise and update all the text notes but your plot setup will remain intact because your plot settings, e.g. plotter driver, sheet size and sheet orientation, live inside titleblock dwt file.

Chicagolooper
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

ChicagoLooper can't thank you enough for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta