Did you mean: 

Page Setup Import not showing files

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
robcomrie
1107 Views, 7 Replies

Page Setup Import not showing files

I believe this is a bug but I've been wrong before. So my understanding of how this should works is when you import page setup it should pull in Device name, Plotter, Plot Size, etc from a dwg or dwt file to overwrite (or add-to) the existing layout page(s). The problem I've encountered is the Import Page Setups are coming up blank (dwg or dwt) even though they show values in the source files....see pics below.

Import Page Setup is not populating layout info.

Annotation 2020-04-15 145606.jpg

This is the source file that clearly shows it exist.

Annotation 2020-04-15 152325.jpg

I've found a workaround by right clicking Layout Tab and selecting From Template. This allows me to add the source file as a new tab then I can use that layout setting to override the existing by the Set Current option...then I delete the source file tab. I really don't want to go through all these extra steps when there is a standard feature so I'm grateful for your help

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: robcomrie

PSETUPIN command does not import a layout/tab, it imports a "named pagesetup".
A "named pagesetup" is not created automatically, it is created with an extra step in PAGESETUP command as explained here https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/AutoC...

Yeah, too many things are called "pagesetup". Just one of those things you need to memorize in AutoCAD.

HTH

Message 3 of 8
robcomrie

Thanks a bunch for clearing up that confusion....hopefully that's something Autodesk will fix because it shouldn't matter if it's a new file or a modified one. 🤕

Message 4 of 8
pendean

There is nothing to fix, you just didn't know: but if you'd like to suggest an actual alternate name/idea/concept, please do so here https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback
Message 5 of 8
robcomrie
in reply to: pendean

Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for your knowledge but I beg to
disagree that nothing needs fixing because something as confusing as that
should not be the norm for the average user just to know. Prior to posting
I wasted a lot of time searching AutoCAD help and the forum without
success. Below is what I'm working with...nowhere it mentioned that you
have to create a new page setup in order for import to work.

[image: Annotation 2020-04-15 171753.jpg]
Message 6 of 8
pendean

Like I wrote earlier, please suggest an actual alternate name/idea/concept to Autodesk at the spot they look to for feedback, here is the link https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

EDIT: I forgot to answer your question "..nowhere it mentioned that youhave to create a new page setup in order for import to work...", when in PAGESETUP hover over the buttons that you see to find out what they do

Annotation 2020-04-15 163947.png

Message 7 of 8
alexbryan25

hello, none of this helps me and i dont understand how this worked for you. I created a layout in which i saved in a previous drawing. When i go to page set up in new drawing i can see the DWT file and select it but nothing appears, same imagine as the one on the right from the original thread. 

is there no way to create a title block and page set up as a default so everytime you open a drawing that is what is loaded ?

Message 8 of 8
cadffm
in reply to: alexbryan25

Hi Alex,

"but nothing appears, same imagine as the one on the right from the original thread"

Same answer as you can read above: It seems your source file don't contain NAMED pagesetups. You can't import unnamed page setups.

Open your source file, jump to the layout, run PLOT and save the current page setup by a name. Pagesetup is the option top of the dialog [add..]

"is there no way to create a title block and page set up as a default so everytime you open a drawing that is what is loaded"

That's a different thing and 

No, and this is quite good.

But you can create a command or button 

, which import a whole layout, or just title block and other stuff by one hit.

It sounds you are trying to import a layout.

Right click on layout tab, from template, select your source and your layout.

Or use Designcenter, ADC

One hit solution sample

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/layout-from-an-existing-drawing/td-p/11713525

Sebastian

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report