Objects from toll palette coming in on no plot setting

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
jim.murphy
1180 Views, 15 Replies

Objects from toll palette coming in on no plot setting

Hello Community,

We are using custom tool palettes for our cad objects block inserts. When we bring in blocks from the tool palette, the block is assigned a specific layer to be placed on.  In 2016 this worked just fine.  Upon upgrading to 2017, we are now dealing with these blocks coming in on the specified layer, but the "no-plot" setting is being turn on.   Any ideas as to how that can be changed?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: jim.murphy

Is the layer that the block is being placed on set to 'No Plot'?

Message 3 of 16
jggerth
in reply to: Anonymous

Does the layer already exist in the drawing, or is it being created when you add the block from the tool palette?

Message 4 of 16
jim.murphy

The layer is created when the block is inserted into the drawing.  The "No-Plot" setting is turned on for that layer when the block is inserted.   

Message 5 of 16
jim.murphy
in reply to: jggerth

No, the layer is not existing before the block is inserted.

Message 6 of 16
pendean

right-click on one of the items in your TP that do this, select properties from the menu, expand the pop-up fully, post a screenshot of it here.
Send along a sample DWG file showing the problem: make sure it's an all new blank DWG file and confirm the problem still happens first.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

Be sure that the layer is not yet created, or its not set to 'No Plot' in the block DWG file that the tool palette is pointing to.

Message 8 of 16
jggerth

Then the obvious solution is to have the layer already existing in your drawing template.

Alternatively, this has been discusses, and a solution found.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017/2017-blocks-inserted-using-tool-palet...

Message 9 of 16
jim.murphy
in reply to: pendean

Below is a screen shoot as requested, on one of the blocks exhibiting the behavior I described.   Attached is the black .DWG file replicating this behavior too. 

TROUBLESHOOTING-1.png

Message 10 of 16
jim.murphy

This is verified. The layer does not exist when first brought into a new DWG.  The block is on the "0" layer within the source file, and no other layers exist with the source file, other than "0".

Message 11 of 16
jim.murphy

Thanks, that post about the Note++ coding seems to have addressed the issue.  

As for having the layer existing in our template DWGs. That was explored a while ago, and dismissed because we don't want to clutter up our drawings with layers not being used; despite being able to purge them out upon completing a drawing.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

This issue is recurring again in 2018.

Autodesk please fix!

Message 13 of 16
jim.murphy

So as of two days ago, I've started having this same issue of when inserting blocks from the tool palette, if the layer isn't already existing and setup, the created layer is placed on the noplot setting.  In the previous posting of this problem this was resolved with the inNotPlotted="FALSE" correction to the ATC file of the tool palettes.  HOWEVER, this time seems to be different.  This time only my PC has been affected with this issue, as the other users are not experiencing this bug. I've ran a search thru the ATC file for the "isNotPlotted" and no results for that appear at all.  I've checked backups and old toll palette ATC files and this wording doesn't appear in any of them.

I'm out of ideas on fixing this, any help would be appreciated. 

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

I too am still experiencing this issue.  Running the most up to date software release.  I track it every time I update, still no fix.  My firm has given up on the idea of using tool palettes and is simply going to the source file and copy/paste what blocks we need.

BTW, the aforementioned solution of having all the layers in the template drawing is absolutely terrible.  A simple purge and audit throws that solution out the window.  Autodesk needs to get on this bug and fix it quick.  People will be jumping ship to Vectorworks soon.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

How is this a solution?  Does the template file come with a disclaimer stating not to purge the drawing at all?

And for what this piece of software costs workarounds are not acceptable.

Message 16 of 16
msuracer10

I was having this same issue with 2019 and stumbled onto a simple solution:

Open the drawing/drawings that contain the affected tool palette blocks and right click on the tool in the palette.  Click Redefine, and viola, when inserted in a new drawing, the newly generated layers come in correctly.

Not ideal if you have a ton of blocks to deal with, but it worked for me and I wanted to pass it along.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report