Did you mean: 

No Selection showing in Properties tab

58 REPLIES 58
SOLVED
Message 1 of 59
jason.bowman
32983 Views, 58 Replies

No Selection showing in Properties tab

When I do a selection in AutoCAD 2017 it is showing up in the properties as "No Selection" so I cannot change properties of multiple objects at once therefore increasing the operation of changing just the transparency of something by a hour at least?

58 REPLIES 58
Message 41 of 59
pendean
in reply to: fkellogg

@fkellogg wrote:

Why is this topic listed as Solved?

You'll need to ask whomever did that back in the year 2017.

@fkellogg wrote:

...I have done ALL of  the fixes in the targetted article, even a brand new computer, newest version and updates, re-setting, everything.

Issue still happens at least once a week.
Only good thing is that I can save and exit, without a crash.

Why don't you start your post post instead?

AND... Here is how to open a support case with Autodesk if you are on subscription to seek out Autodesk Support's help:
https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-find-my-sup...

Message 42 of 59
fkellogg
in reply to: pendean

I had a session with Volker Cocco a couple of years back.

He was very helpful, and even the reason I got a new PC.
All came to nothing, as with this issue there is no crash, and no crash report to consult.
He wanted to be granted access to poke around in my PC, but our stringent I.T. firm would not allow it.

Maybe someone else out there could get him into their system.

CFK

Message 43 of 59
pendean
in reply to: fkellogg

@fkellogg wrote:

I had a session with Volker Cocco a couple of years back.

He was very helpful, and even the reason I got a new PC.
All came to nothing, as with this issue there is no crash, and no crash report to consult.
He wanted to be granted access to poke around in my PC, but our stringent I.T. firm would not allow it.

Maybe someone else out there could get him into their system.

CFK

Tough and never easy things to try will all involve your IT folks when all things fail:

• New OS login
  • Remove and reinstall all Autodesk software on your PC.
  • Reimage your PC to match everyone else' at your office.
Message 44 of 59
DavidTosh
in reply to: DavidTosh

Update on this issue. I have been on AutoCAD 2024 since shortly after it became available and I haven't experienced this persistent state (where the Property tab refused to show the currently selected objects.)
---
Tosh
Message 45 of 59
fkellogg

I have recently decided to update to 2024 from 2022.
I am full of hope that Your Are Correct, Sir!

fkellogg_0-1701798943835.png

CFK

Message 46 of 59
fkellogg

As I seem to recall, I was also full of hope that upgrading to 2022 would fix the issue.

🤔

Message 47 of 59
kcameronJVGPV

I came across this looking for an answer to another problem, but I can repeat the "No Selection" problem easily. I know this is an old thread, but there is recent activity, so for the benefit of anyone else that comes across it, I'll give my 2 cents' worth. The problem has been corrected in AutoCAD 2023 & 2024, at least the Properties Palette issue has  been. (See further down for the underlying cause still being present.)

It stems from an internal limit AutoCAD has of  allowing only a maximum of 128 open selection sets. Programs that don't release selection sets properly (Plant 3D is an example, even still in 2024) will also experience the problem.

To illustrate the bug, in AutoCAD 2022 or earlier (at least since 2017),

1. In a new or open drawing, select any object.
  2. Open the Properties palette if not open already (the Quick Properties DOES NOT have this problem).
  3. Make 128 changes to any property, the same one 128 times, or any combination.
  4. After the 128th change (or less if this is an open drawing), a selection will no longer be possible. Even though grips are shown, you can't edit it, or ESC from it. (I've never seen the Copy bug. I'll have to try that.)
  5. According to the tech that helped me, there's no way to release these improperly handled selection sets other than closing the drawing. Each drawing has its own "stack" of open selection sets, but 128 is the combined limit for ALL drawings open in any given instance of AutoCAD. So if one drawing has used 100, and another has usesd 28, closing the first drawing will release its 100. Closing the second drawing releases the other 28.

So....

AutoCAD 2023 and 2024 have fixed this bug with the Properties Palette, at least in my experience, but Plant 3D 2024 still has an issue that stems from the underlying cause. AutoCAD Plant 3D support confirmed that they could repeat this behavior. I'm still waiting for a fix.

In Plant 3D (any version as far as I'm aware):

1. Select any object.
  2. Right click the mouse to bring up the context menu.
  3. Right click 127 more times, and voila! Can't make any more selections! When you right-click, make sure at least one object is selected. It doesn't have to be a Plant 3D object.

I use the "Add to Selection" feature All the time. I've learned to use keyboard commands to do as many things as I can that would otherwise require a right-click. But "Add to Selection" doesn't have a command that can be entered at the command line, according to the support I received.

At least Plant 3D 2023 and 2024 don't have the Property Change bug any more, so I can go several hours sometimes now without having to close and re-open a drawing. 

Message 48 of 59
cadffm
in reply to: kcameronJVGPV

Yes, for (lisp)programming it is a known and documented limitation.

Thank you for pointing to the same by using usual "command" use.

Thank you for sharing!

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 49 of 59

The newest update for Plant 3D 2024 (2024.1.1) HAS FIXED THIS BUG!

I am impressed. Thank you Autodesk!

Message 50 of 59
netaoren
in reply to: jason.bowman

It's a known AutoCAD bug that they just won't solve.
If I'm recalling correctly it started around the 2015-2018 versions +-
I couldn't find any solutions over the years (spare yourself from re-installing it won't help)
If i can describe it - it's like a notice that the Autocad is "tired", and you should restart the software.
Soon enough after - it will crash.
I guess it has something to do with the software code being patched for over 25 years.

So - I treat it as a laid-back cry for help and refresh my session - it will go away.

Message 51 of 59

But they DID fix it! AutoCAD 2023 fixed the Properties Palette bug, and Plant 3D 2024 fixed the right-click bug. Still working in 2025.

Message 52 of 59
netaoren

I use 2025 and just had the same issue as always.  After sevral hours of working selected element shown as ''no selection'' in properties and no phisical command works (mouse+vertex related)…  i got here because i had my half-annual follow-up if they fixed it and how. 

Restarted the software (as always)  and it's gone untill next time.  

Message 53 of 59
pendean
in reply to: netaoren

@netaoren wrote:

...After sevral hours of working selected element shown as ''no selection'' in properties and no phisical command works...

You might have more going on locally that the rest of us can test and confirm. Sorry.

Here are ways to open a support case with Autodesk if you are on subscription to seek out Autodesk Support's help, they can get into your computer and try to help diagnose it better for you:
https://www.autodesk.com/support/account/manage/use/support#:~:text=com/plans.-,Contact%20support,-S...

Message 54 of 59
netaoren
in reply to: pendean

Nothing local about it..

It happens on 3 different computers, old or new. .  On Windowns 11 and also 10, one is 25km away from the others.  On autocad 2022, 2024 and 2025.

It's the same bug as ever, they just didn't fix it.  

Message 55 of 59

@netaoren 
Have you been able to reproduce your error with a specific step-by-step procedure? If you follow the steps in my post 47 of this thread, do you get the same error?

The "exceeded maximum number of selection sets" error is caused by code that doesn't release assigned selection sets properly. Therefore, ANY code could potentially cause this error, including add-ins, Express Tools, commands specific to verticals like Plant 3D, and, of course, custom code written by any third party or end-user. It's not necessarily an Autodesk bug that you're experiencing.

In my case, it was code that I'd written that prompted me to dig deeper. It immediately produced the error that I only saw occasionally while using Plant 3D. From pieces of code I'd come across, I assembled a routine that was instrumental in pin-pointing the exact causes of this error for my specific installation. The routine reports the number of selection sets that can currently be assigned. I'd open a drawing, run the routine to make sure I had 128 sets available, and then after some time I'd run it again. If it reported fewer available sets, then I'd know something I'd done had caused the drop. By narrowing down the time between checks I was able to determine the exact actions that would produce the error. One was any change made to an entity's properties in the Properties Palette (fixed in AutoCAD 2023), and the other was a right mouse button click when any entity was selected in Plant 3D (fixed in Plant 3D 2024.1.1).

If you're interested in pursuing the cause of the error in your systems, I'd be happy to post the routine I used. At the very least it should determine whether your issue is related to the 128 selection set limit or not.

Message 56 of 59
netaoren

I'm familiar with the selection limit issue, it's set to the maximum parmeter.  So that's not it.  

My issue (from what i can diagnose)  is not related to an action or a chain of actions.  The factor is time and also not in a measured repetative amont of time. 

It just start once in a while after at least 2 hours of working on it/autocad being open.  The solution for now is just restart the software and i'm good for the next couple of hours (or more). 

I can't even upload a specific ''infected'' file because it's not specipic..  Any file that is open while this happens get the same issue and same solution (any file - even if there is only 1 line drawn in it)  If i'll send you a random file it will be a ''fresh'' session and you won't see it.

Message 57 of 59
RSomppi

This definitely sounds like a local issue.

Are all the temp folders emptied on a regular basis?

Is the temporary cache limit set to something low? Can it be raised?

Message 58 of 59
pendean

@netaoren wrote:

...It's the same bug as ever, they just didn't fix it.  

Here are ways to open a support case with Autodesk if you are on subscription to seek out Autodesk Support's help:
https://www.autodesk.com/support/account/manage/use/support#:~:text=com/plans.-,Contact%20support,-S... 

Message 59 of 59
kcameronJVGPV

I'm not aware of a parameter that can be set. My understanding is that there is a hard-coded limit of 128 selection sets that can be open simultaneously. Please let me know what parameter it is that you are setting to maximum.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta