Did you mean: 

No Selection showing in Properties tab

58 REPLIES 58
SOLVED
Message 1 of 59
jason.bowman
32990 Views, 58 Replies

No Selection showing in Properties tab

When I do a selection in AutoCAD 2017 it is showing up in the properties as "No Selection" so I cannot change properties of multiple objects at once therefore increasing the operation of changing just the transparency of something by a hour at least?

58 REPLIES 58
Message 21 of 59
DavidTosh
in reply to: fkellogg

Nay be useful to note that I work on two 34" monitors driven by a DELL USB doc and also keep the laptop screen up but off to the side. Can't say that I have noticed a correlation but may be useful to note.
---
Tosh
Message 22 of 59
pendean

@fkellogg Thank you for the detailed responses: sadly there is no fix for random events that you and the majority of other AutoCAD users can replicate on demand or frequently. Sorry. Volker is an ace bug finder/solver, so if he is throwing guesses at you too then I suggest at some point you folks hire someone to come in to review your entire system and setup.

If it matters, I have not run across anyone using OneDrive/SharePoint having these exact issues, but there are many issues that can come up with that setup that I am sure you all have figured out how to work around (and you state the files are local anyway).

And good afternoon BTW 😉

Message 23 of 59
pendean
in reply to: DavidTosh

@DavidTosh We have identical setups, as do most users in our offices. And like you, the laptop screen likes to steal and miniaturize some of the popups too. I've never figured out a fix for that annoying feature.
Message 24 of 59
fkellogg
in reply to: pendean

Pendean;

I followed the link in the Solution, and have done all of the suggestions, except the A360 thing.

Due to ongoing AutoCAD issues, I have a new PC which does not have A360 on it.

Since A360 is obsolete, can I skip that suggestion? (Solution is from 2017)

I am here in 2022, using Acad 2022 with all updates, and still having the "No selection" issue, as well as the "copy" command HARD crash. Both since updating, resetting to defaults, etc.

I just updated again today to version S.162.0.0 AutoCAD 2022.1.2.

Since it does not crash the program, the No selection thing is "just" an annoyance, but it is costing me (& my company) time trying to figure out how to fix it.

Message 25 of 59
pendean

@fkellogg we have yet to experience this issue in our office over the years, ever, except as noted under special circumstances by earlier posts.

if this is something you can replicate on demand at your office, start a support ticket through your subscription portal as explained here https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/users-software/support-options#:~....

Message 26 of 59
fkellogg
in reply to: jason.bowman

Cannot replicate on demand. No discernable sequence of actions or events.

Company I.T. would not let Volker (or anyone else) poke around in my machine, even if I could make it happen.

Message 27 of 59
tweber

THIRUMOORTHI.C,

You are the MAN!  I set the system variable, PROPOBJLLIMIT to 0, and it worked like a charm.

In my case, I was using an aerial image that is 390,000MB in size.  

Thank you

tew

Message 28 of 59
bstolz

I have essentially the same issue as fkellogg. I'll be working in a drawing and then it stops being able to select objects. I also have had this issue across multiple versions of ACAD and across multiple PCs. The thing is that I can replicate it.

It happens when I'm editing objects and making changes in the properties pane. Most often, I am editing locations. If I select objects and edit their X and/or Y coordinates, after a while of doing this, objects become unselectable. I tried doing some statistics on this and, after 3 tests, I came in around 110-130 X/Y coordinate changes, in the properties window specifically, cause objects to become unselectable. Using the move command doesn't seem to trigger it. Changing colors also doesn't seem to trigger it.

The steps will be something along the lines of:

1. Select block.

2. Edit X coordinate in properties window and hit enter

3. Edit Y coordinate in properties window and hit enter

3a. Often I'll edit other things such as the layer or a color or a dynamic property value, but I haven't specifically been able to correlate any of these actions to the problem since they happen far less frequently, X/Y/Z coordinate changes seem to be the primary culprit, though perhaps it is any change in the properties window.

4. Hit Escape to deselect block

5. Select next object, such as a line

6. Edit Start X coordinate and hit enter

7. Edit Start Y coordinate and hit enter

8. Hit enter because Start Z coordinate is selected but I don't wish to edit it

9. Edit End X coordinate and hit enter

10. Edit End Y coordinate and hit enter

11. Hit Esc to deselect object

12. Continue similar process with other objects until suddenly I cannot edit something or deselect the current object

I can no longer hit Esc to deselect, make changes to the object, or select new objects. I can save the file, which automatically deselects the object, but afterwards I cannot select any new objects. To fix it, I have to close and reopen ACAD.

Its obnoxious because I like to occasionally tweek various layouts of my drawings. Sometimes I'll be editing the positions of a few thousand objects and, every half hour or so, I have to save and restart ACAD because it locks up like this. I've been searching for solutions for years and they always say things like reinstall AutoCAD because it is corrupt. But it has been an issue across multiple versions of ACAD and multiple computers, always exactly the same. I cannot for a minute imagine that it is anything but some sort of memory leak style bug in the interface. It isn't an object count issue because I'm selecting one object at a time and changing a total of 50-70 objects before it finally stops functioning.

The total number of objects selected and edited is eerily close to 64 (50-70). The total number of X/Y/Z coordinate changes is eerily close to 128(110-130). The total number of changes of any type is kind of close to 256 (200-230). But it is never exact from what I can tell so I haven't been able to draw any specific conclusions. I only know to expect this to happen when I'm doing this type of work.

Message 29 of 59
DavidTosh
in reply to: bstolz

This is a really great, detailed report. I’ll see if I can replicate in AC2023. I can’t recall experiencing this situation since I changed to 2023- but I’m doing slightly different tasks on this project. 
—-

Tosh

---
Tosh
Message 30 of 59
fkellogg

@Anonymous

WOW.

Just WOW.

No way could I keep record of all the moves I do so diligently.

I almost never edit single points of objects using Properties.

I do use vertex editing to clean up pdf-converted items, since I am **** about clean units.

I will trace the converted items and move the new polyline to 0,0,0. clean up to whole .00000000 X / Y verticies, then move it where I want it to be.

I don't think "No Selection" has happened while doing that. 

It is still an annoying distraction.

Message 31 of 59
bstolz

@fkellogg

That is part of why my report mentions a bunch of unknowns. Trying to track every mouse click and value typed is difficult. It took an hour or so of specific focus on this task to record the three tests I did. Even then, they were inconsistent, but similar. It was hard to tell if there was correlations between types of actions or not. But I'm fairly certain that 100% of the time, the failure was finally triggered on an edit of an X or Y coordinate. It typically triggered as I was trying to click on something outside of the properties window and less often if I was making edits within the properties window unless I used my mouse to click on a different property (hitting enter seemed to work just fine without triggering it).

But the process of doing the testing involved clicking into AutoCAD and then clicking out as I wrote down the action I took and then clicking in and clicking out. I have no idea if it effected the result. I do know that it occasionally caused me to select an additional object as I was clicking back in or to trigger the selection box to appear. I had to get good at clicking the top of the window so that I wouldn't accidentally trigger additional actions.

Regardless, the results were very inconsistent. While the three tests were all similar, no action was ever performed exactly the same number of times in any test. This made it hard to shake out the culprit. I was also doing these tests as I was editing my drawings instead of making a specific test that would only perform specific actions. This also added a bunch of inconsistency because I never performed the exact same set of actions in the exact same order ever. Its one of those things that is very difficult and slow to test and so I feel like, even if others have run into the same issue, nobody really says anything about it because it probably doesn't come up very often for most people and all you have to do is save and reopen ACAD to get it to reset.

@DavidTosh 

Thanks! I hope you are able to replicate it because that means it isn't just me that has this issue.

Message 32 of 59
jbrooksD9JNY

I found this thread because I have the same problem. After one of you asked about the Properties tab being docked (mine is), I just closed it and opened it. Fixed it. It's showing details again, Esc is working again. I was in the process of saving and closing all my files to restart ACAD. Now I don't have to. Wanted to share what worked for me.

Message 33 of 59
bstolz
in reply to: jbrooksD9JNY

Thanks for the heads up. I've moved on to other things but I'm sure I'll end up doing something like this again at some point in the near future. When I do, I'll give your fix a try and see what happens.

Message 34 of 59
fkellogg
in reply to: jbrooksD9JNY

I'm verklempt!

I hate it when this happens, almost every day.

On the one hand, I find myself hoping it happens soon, so I can test your success.

On the other hand, I wish it would NEVER happen again!

When it does happen, I will let you know if your fix works for me, and tag it as the REAL solution.

CFKellogg

Message 35 of 59
patkenne

Until this day, not any solutions for this issue. For Crash which occurs when copy, I remarked that the issue arrived when you try to copy an object selected that "no selection" appear on properties palette. It's very difficult because you need when you want to copy object, you must check your properties palette to see if display the correct properties (if not , CRASH).

Message 36 of 59
fkellogg
in reply to: patkenne

For me, the Hard Crash on plain Copy command comes out of the blue, and has nothing to do with the No Selection issue. MUCH worse of an issue, but happens only rarely.
Seeing the suggestion from @jbrooksD9JNY about closing the Properties Palette - I feel certain that I tried this and it must not have been a definitive solution because I did not remember about it - I will make a note, and try that next time.
Message 37 of 59
patkenne

Thank you. I did not see this proposition. I will try it. My issue is for in Plant3d. 

Message 38 of 59
patkenne

I had this issue today with plant 3d and tried this solution (close properties palette), but it definitely doesn't fix the bug.

Message 39 of 59
pendean

@patkenne wrote:

I had this issue today with plant 3d and tried this solution (close properties palette), but it definitely doesn't fix the bug.

Here is how to open a support case with Autodesk if you are on subscription to seek out Autodesk Support's help:
https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-find-my-sup...

Message 40 of 59
fkellogg
in reply to: pendean

Why is this topic listed as Solved?
I have done ALL of  the fixes in the targetted article, even a brand new computer, newest version and updates, re-setting, everything.

Issue still happens at least once a week.
Only good thing is that I can save and exit, without a crash.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta