Named drawing template always inserts as "Layout 1, Layout 2, etc."

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
Anonymous
1517 Views, 29 Replies

Named drawing template always inserts as "Layout 1, Layout 2, etc."

All,

I have a named drawing drawing template that I'm having trouble inserting into Paper Space. When I try and insert the drawing template it always inserts with the name "LayoutX" with X being the next highest Layout number. I've tried deleting the template and re-creating it from the original .DWG file, but I continue to have the same problem. I've attached a copy of the .DWT file I'm having the trouble with. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Monty

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
ed57gmc2
in reply to: Anonymous

dwt's are designed to be opened with the NEW or QNEW commands. Are you using the INSERT command?

Ed

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 3 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: ed57gmc2

Ed,

Thanks for your reply. I'm right clicking the "Layout 1" tab and then selecting "From Template". This opens the "Template" folder where I select this .DWT file. As soon as I select it and click on "Open" another window opens and shows the template name as "Layout 1". As soon as I click "OK" it adds a new Paper Space tab that is named "Layout 2-Layout 1" and is exactly like the standard "Layout 1" template. Any ideas?

Monty

Message 4 of 30
cadffm

All works fine. You import the "Layout1" from your selected file.
The Layout1 have only one viewport, nothing more.
You get exactly what you selected to import.

In the modelspace of your dwt is a frame and title, i am thinking you made one or two mistakes:
1. If you want to insert the frame/title:
Save your block as dwg (command wblock, option block) and then you can import that new dwg 'as block'whereever you want. Command INSERT

Or

2. You want to insert a whole layout tab, ready setup for using after importing in other files.
Then you have to create a well set upd layout (title and frame incl. Viewport in a well named layout tab, incl. Pagesetup.)
Now you can import this layout by your way.

Sebastian

Message 5 of 30
ed57gmc2

Maybe you should let us know what it is you are trying to accomplish. You just need a new layout?

Ed

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 6 of 30
ChicagoLooper

What you are inserting is the layout tab and everything that is on the layout, e.g titleblock, north arrow, viewport, legend, scale bar, mmtest, etc, etc. Since the layout tab was name "layout 1" or "layout 2" that is what the inserted layout will be named. It does not use the name of the drawing. For example, you have 3 layout tabs: Plan View, East Elevation and West Elevation. If you insert the tab named Plan View, the newly inserted tab will be named Plan View. All objects in the original layout called Plan View, will also be in the newly inserted layout, e.g. mtext notes, tilteblock, north arrow block, viewport, etc. everything. Even the 'junk' on the side gray area (or off the page) of the layout will be there. So if you 'store' stuff that you don't want printed that's sitting outside of the printing area, then that stuff will piggy-back w/everything else and be inserted too.  

If you go to the original drawing, right-click the tab named 'Layout 1" and rename it, then save it as a dwt, you'll get a better idea of how it works.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 7 of 30
Anonymous

Ed,

I'm just wanting this .DWT to be able to be used as a Paper Space layout template to place a viewport of Model Space into and add the specifics into the title block. I have a number of other similar .DWT files that insert into Paper Space just fine with the name that I gave them when created but for some reason this particular file just won't insert with the name that I gave it when the .DWT was created. It always reverts to the name "Layout 1". Thoughts? Thanks!

Monty

Message 8 of 30
ed57gmc2

If the dwt layout has the same name as a layout in the dwg you are trying to insert it into, then you will get "Layout1". You can't have two layouts with the same name.

Ed

How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

ChicagoLooper,

Thanks for your reply. I think that maybe I'm not explaining this right. If you open a new drawing and use this .DWT file it will open the new drawing with the .DWT drawing dosplayed in Model Space and the only Paper Space tab is Layout 1. If you click on the layout 1 tab it's the default AutoCad Layout 1 with the Model Space drawing in the viewport.

I've attached another one of my .DWT files for an example. With this one if you open a new drawing and select this file it will open the drawing template as a Layout with the correct name and Model Space is blank and ready for a drawing to be created.

Let me know if this helps to illustrate the issue I'm having with the original .DWT file I attached. Thanks for you help and advice!

Monty

Message 10 of 30
Anonymous

Ed,

That's what's causing the issue. When I created this .DWT I gave it a layout name of RBE - ARCH D 24 x 36, not Layout 1. For some reason the layout name that I gave it isn't being recognized when I try and insert the template file. It always comes up as Layout 1. Does that help to explain the problem better? Thanks!

Monty

Message 11 of 30
ed57gmc2

What version of AutoCAD are you using? I have 2018 and a dialog pops up asking me which layout to insert and it uses the name in the template. Are you sure you don't already have a layout using the same name?

Ed

How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 12 of 30
Anonymous

Ed,

I'm using AutoCad 2012. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by using a layout with the same name. This is the only .DWT file I have with that name as far as I know. Could there somehow be a .DWT file named RBE - ARCH D 24 x 36 that has a Layout name of Layout 1? If so how would I find that? Thanks!

Monty

Message 13 of 30
ed57gmc2

Not the dwg name, the name of the layout. In the dwg you are inserting into, there are existing layouts. If one of them has the same name as the layout you're trying to import, then it will get renamed to "Layout 1" when imported.

Ed

How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 14 of 30
Anonymous

Ed,

When I try and insert this .DWT the only Paper Space tab is Layout 1. When I insert this template it opens as Layout 2-Layout 1, not RBE - ARCH D 24 x 36 as it was named when I created it. Is there some way to check or change the Layout name of a .DWT file?

Monty

Message 15 of 30
ed57gmc2

OK, then I don't know what to tell you. It could be that you're using 2012, or there is something wrong with the dwg you're importing to. As I said, I have 2018 and your dwt worked for me. Sorry. If you uploaded your parent dwg, I could try it using your file.

Ed

How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 16 of 30
ChicagoLooper

OK, I get it. I have looked at your dwt that was attached to your original post and I understand what you're trying to do. Your workflow, however, is not consistent with what you want to achieve. This is because the template named RBE-ARCH D 24x36.dwt is in modelspace when it should be in paperspace.

Your RBE D 24x36 template should be on a layout tab and the tab's NMAE should be changed from 'Layout 1' to something more descriptive, such as 'ArchD-24x36' or something like that. 

Create a brand new template. You must first set up an appropriate layout tab that uses an Arch D 24x36 inch sheet size with a landscape orientation. Then you need to insert your titleblock into that new layout. Your workflow has the titleblock inserted in modelspace  when it should be on a layout tab in paperspace. (Note: If you don't take the appropriate steps to set up a new layout tab as described, then you'll have new issues completely unrelated to the issue you originally posted.) 

For any new drawing, you may now insert the tab named 'ArchD24x36' and the new tab will appear alongside any existing tabs in the new drawing.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 17 of 30
ed57gmc2

@ChicagoLooperMaybe he is getting confused with multiple dwgs because the file he uploaded in post 9 is correct. It has a title block in a paperspace layout called RBE WWD-COE ANSI D - IHD.

@AnonymousAe you sure you are browsing to the right template file?

Ed

How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 18 of 30
Anonymous

Ed,

I've attached the original .DWG file that the .DWT was created from. They both have the same name, just different file extensions. I wonder if a .DWG and .DWT have the exact same name could that somehow cause a problem when trying to insert the .DWT and AutoCad gets confused somehow as far as the Layout name of the .DWT? Any Thoughts?

Monty

Message 19 of 30
ChicagoLooper

No no. That's not how it works. The titleblock itself MUST be placed on a layout tab in paperspace. It should not be in moldelspace. (Just to be clear, modelspace is a black drawing environment. Paperspace is a white sheet sitting on a gray background.)

Sorry, but I must ask, do you plot from modelspace (black background) or from paperspace (white background)?

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 20 of 30
Anonymous

ChicagoLooper,

I plot from Paper Space as you should. Correct me if I'm wrong but any .DWT template whether you use it to start a new drawing or insert it into an open drawing should always by default be located in Paper Space. That's what I don't understand about the original file I attached which is a .DWT template. This was created from a .DWG file that was created in Model Space and then SaveAs a .DWT template file in the default Templates folder. When it was SaveAs I named the Layout RBE - ARCH D 24 x 36 and it created the .DWT no problem. It just refuses to insert this particular .DWT with the layout name that I gave it. It always comes up as Layout 1.

Monty

Monty

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report