Did you mean: 

Invisble (non-plot) layer still showing up

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
zeulrick
4609 Views, 19 Replies

Invisble (non-plot) layer still showing up

I have X-Ref'd pdf. docs to model space. Then I have cropped each pdf. by using a viewport in paper space on an invisible layer. This is a standard practice for me, but for some reason, it is not completely working normally. Once I plot to pdf. there are slight lines where the viewports are. Please find attached screenshot. Note that not all four corners of viewports are showing up.

What Gives??

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Zach

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
WarrenGeissler
in reply to: zeulrick

Non-plot layers will typically not show under any circumstances. Question: Is your viewport near or at the edge of the PDF image? Can you share a sample of the file(s) in question)?

Warren Geissler
Drafting Manager Denver Water

Please ACCEPT AS SOLUTON if this works
(...and doesn't melt your computer or cause Armageddon)

Message 3 of 20
zeulrick
in reply to: WarrenGeissler

Hey Warren, Thanks for the reply.

No, the viewport is not at the edge or near. The viewports also are not overlapping each other or on top of each other.

Were you able to view the screenshot I attached before? 

Message 4 of 20
WarrenGeissler

I saw the screenshot but I've never seen that kind of ghosting. Are you able to share the drawing and PDF? You can erase everything else. Also - what version and SP are you on?

Warren Geissler
Drafting Manager Denver Water

Please ACCEPT AS SOLUTON if this works
(...and doesn't melt your computer or cause Armageddon)

Message 5 of 20
imadHabash

Hi,

as i understand your issue ... does PDFFRAME system variable ( 2 ) fix your issue ?

Regards,

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 6 of 20
cadffm

We can not check cad objects and properties from a picture, upload a sample file and your pdf-result. Make sure you saved the used pagesetup.

If you have cutted viewports, perhaps an issue with the cutting-object (layer and linetype).
I dont have the engl. Version yet, with cutted viewport i mean a non rectangle viewport.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 7 of 20
ChicagoLooper

When pdf's are attached to dwg's they are not as 'friendly' as other types of image formats, e.g. jpeg, tiff, png, etc. etc. Go into your pdf maker (not a pdf 'reader') and open the pdf, then File=>Export To=>Image=>jpeg or (tiff or png) and save the new jpeg image. Finally, insert the jpeg instead of the pdf. Yes, resolution may, or may not, degrade when switching to jpeg, but if it doesn't, or if the degradation is negligible, then make the switch. If anything, replacing the pdf with jpeg format will improve panning in modelspace (like 'herky-jerky' cursor performance) and might get rid of the ghost line.

Chicagolooper
Message 8 of 20
nrz13

@zeulrick

If you look closely, your PDF background is not white, and that makes me think that is the probable cause of the artifacts.  I would first edit the original document before bringing it into AutoCAD to give it a true white background.  See enhanced version of the image you attached below.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 9 of 20
zeulrick
in reply to: WarrenGeissler

I'm running AutoCad2018 on Windows 10.

I'm going to attach an example file of the problem, both dwg and pdf.

Thank you to everyone for great responses, no solution yet.

Message 10 of 20
zeulrick
in reply to: imadHabash

pdfframe system variable (2) not a solution. Thanks for the idea!

Message 11 of 20
zeulrick
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Thank you, I understand their are certain limitations to ex-ref pdf.s but I will not solve the problem by working around the problem. Not because I'm stubborn but because there are also great advantages to using pdf. in construction documents. 

Message 12 of 20
zeulrick
in reply to: nrz13

@nrz13

I like your insight into the original doc artifacts but I'm afraid that this isn't practical. I'm dealing with three E size sheets with 35 separate pdf docs referenced on each sheet. I can't spend the time editing each pdf original. I have dealt with pdf docs that were much worse than these in the past and no ghosting occurred.  😕

Message 13 of 20
cadffm

"No, the viewport is not at the edge or near. "

IT IS! The hole content of your viewport display a pdf underlay!

Note: Thats a display issue in your Viewer,

Test with Adobe Acrobat DC - I can see some more unsightly representations (Text and part of the human and chair).

Your line is depend of zoomfactor sometime displayed, sometimes not.

Test with another Viewer: No Problem.

For simple examples like this i would ever re-draw it in AutoCAD with cad objects.

Or import PDF via PDFIMPORT, if there are vector datas.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 14 of 20
cadffm
in reply to: cadffm

See attachment

PDF-Xchange viewer vs. adobe

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 15 of 20
nrz13

@zeulrick
Then it looks like you'll have to reduce the size of your viewports to crop out these artifacts in the original PDF.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 16 of 20
zeulrick

@cadffm Yeah, that's why I'm using a viewport to crop the pdf with an invisible layer.  the import PDF via PDFIMPORT option worked to get rid of the ghosting of the viewport layer but created another set of hard lines around the pdf "image". I agree, if I really wanted a clean version I would draw it because it is a simple shape, but like I said in the comment above, there are three E size sheets with 35 pdf docs on each sheet. I can't draw all those. Waste of time/money! 

Why is the ghosting occurring on my viewport layer even though it is non-plot?

Message 17 of 20
zeulrick

@cadffm so maybe once this plots out the ghosted lines won't be there? If they don't show up on a different viewer than maybe they won't plot right? Am I obsessing over something I shouldn't?

Message 18 of 20
zeulrick
in reply to: nrz13

@nrz13 no the "ghost" lines that show up are not artifacts in the original pdf. They are being created by the viewport layer even the layer is no-plot. Reducing the size of the viewport only changed the location of the ghosted lines.

Message 19 of 20
cadffm

"o maybe once this plots out the ghosted lines won't be there? If they don't show up on a different viewer than maybe they won't plot right?"

Try it..

I am sure that line(s) are NOT really the viewport object(because then i could it grab it inside a PDF as vector-data),

it is the border of the three image areas which presentes the hole layout content.

With an PDF-Editor you can delete all three seperate (incl. the part of the line).

SCNR: AutoCAD is a vector CAD-software, don't punished them with raster-datas

Sorry, i am out.

Without you PDF we can not testing (and i have no time for that).

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 20 of 20
ChicagoLooper

You may tinker, alter, dress up, dress down, write-a-lisp, or perform voodoo all you want on the questionable PDF, but PDF's don not play well in AutoCAD. Convert, by performing a File>Export to>Image>jpeg from your PDF maker.

Attached (see attached PDF) are side-by-side results. On left is the raw pdf that was attached to the dwg. On right is the same pdf that was Exported to a jpeg using the pdf maker which was then attached by placing it right next to the questionable pdf. 

In addition to attaching the jpeg to the dwg (as opposed to attaching a PDF) you get to control the brightness, contrast and fade of the jpeg. This is not the case when attaching PDF's where you only get contrast and fade.

Frim your pdf maker, Export to......Frim your pdf maker, Export to......Adjust panel in contextual ribbon when clicking the jpeg. On left the the raw pdf.Adjust panel in contextual ribbon when clicking the jpeg. On left the the raw pdf.

Chicagolooper

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta