Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intersection Snap is not snapping to true intersection

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Anonymous
3628 Views, 20 Replies

Intersection Snap is not snapping to true intersection

My intersection snap in Autocad 2013 is not working properly.  It shows the intersection snap but when I click on it, it doesn't make the line at the intersection.  It snaps to intersection fine but it doesn't actually hit the true intersection point.  It is always up to 0.0075 away from the true intersection point.  I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the Autocad, as well as reset to default settings.  Do you know how to fix this?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
murray-clack
in reply to: Anonymous

I wonder if the lines have diffrent 'Z' values, and the intersection it is finding is its APPARENT intersection?

Even if the Properties Manager "says" the endpoints have an elevation of zero, override them anyway with a value of 0 because while the Properties Manager says the endpoints are 0.000, they may actually be 0.00001

Message 3 of 21
jaboone
in reply to: murray-clack

The z would have been my first choice too.  Try using the smash command if you have the bonus tools, or try and find it on internet.

Learning as I go
Message 4 of 21
GrantsPirate

Use the ID command and select the intersection of the two lines.  Report back here on the coordinates.  I am betting you are a long way from 0,0.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 5 of 21
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the Autocad,...

I am fairly sure the behavior you are seeing has nothing to do with the install.

Attach the *.dwg file here that exhibits this behavior and end all doubt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous

I am not sure that I understand some of your guys suggested solution/commands.  I apologize, I am a student with only 5 months of AutoCAD experience so I am not very familiar with commands and menus.

I was going to attach my video but its not working (its .avi)

Here are two screen captures:

- Shows the intersection snap at the point with a green x located to the upper left.

- Shows when I click the intersection snap and where it takes the line to

Message 7 of 21
JDMather

attach *.dwg file here and end all doubt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous

posted

Message 9 of 21
sthompson1021

Hi, far as I can tell there's noting wrong with your snaps. I think its just a display issue. Try typing RE for regen and watch the line move to the intersection. Circles and Arcs will give the impression that the intersection is different than it really is, especially when zoomed in close.

Message 10 of 21
jaboone
in reply to: sthompson1021

regen was dropped in 2014.  You will have to close and open drawing if you want to regen.

Learning as I go
Message 11 of 21
jaboone
in reply to: jaboone

There is no problems with intersections.  It is most likely viewres is set to low.  Boost it up to 20000 and see if that helps.  The reason you can't see intersections is the arcs are not to full resolution.  This does not happen with lines.

Learning as I go
Message 12 of 21
dmfrazier

I believe (based on the first post) the OP is running 2013, which still has the command.

In any case, I find it hard to believe that regen has simply been dropped, and that there are no other ways to get (the equivalent of) a regen.

What about redraw?  Is that gone, too?

Message 13 of 21
sthompson1021

Regen was droppedSmiley Surprised That's news to me. I must have a special version cause I still got it.

Message 14 of 21
dgorsman
in reply to: dmfrazier

I believe that its REDRAW that was dropped - most of its applications have been rendered irrelevant (ie. blips).  Regen is still applicable for 2014.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 15 of 21
jaboone

You are right, the regen is still there but in this case would not help.

Learning as I go
Message 16 of 21
sthompson1021

I'm not sure why you think a regen won't work. When I opened the dwg and zoomed in tight, as soon as I did a regen the intersection of the circles snapped to the end of the line. This is just a display problem.

Message 17 of 21
jaboone

Sorry I helped.

Learning as I go
Message 18 of 21
sthompson1021

There was no offence intended in my reply. I was simply pointing out that generally a regen will fix a display issue.

Message 19 of 21
dmfrazier
in reply to: dgorsman

"...rendered irrelevant (ie. blips)."

Awww.  I like my blips.  Why can't I keep my blips?  Of all the (seemingly) ridiculous things to waste (un)development time and effort on!  I wonder what fabulous feature I'll be getting in return...Smiley Frustrated

Maybe I should start a Bring Back the Blips campaign.

Message 20 of 21
dgorsman
in reply to: dmfrazier

Removing it probably saved a bunch of time migrating the feature in later releases.  Take the easy win.  🙂

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report