Did you mean: 

Instances or prefabs?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
469 Views, 4 Replies

Instances or prefabs?

Hello everyone.

I'm sort of new to AutoCAD, with a background in game development.

One thing I'm missing in AutoCAD, which is commonplace in game engines, is the ability to create instances of objects or prefabs.

What specifically I'd like to do is to create groups and copies of said groups, and have changes made in one instance of the group automatically apply to the other.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
user181
in reply to: Anonymous

Draw the item you want to duplicate and use the BLOCK command to create block of the items. Then copy that block wherever you need or want it. Then if you use the BEDIT command to modify the block all instances of the block will be updated. 

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
gotphish001

You can also do the same as user181 says but use the command wblock. The block command saves the block in the drawing. If you use wblock it asks you were to save it. Then you can use it in other drawings too. I'd read about both types on the autodesk knowledge base to get the specifics of what they can do.

Blocks

Wblock

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: user181

Awesome!

Is there a way to create mirrored blocks?

Message 5 of 5
Vinayv4v

Hello,

There a lot of options available for blocks.

You can specify the angle for block to place or use the MIRROR command for the same block.

Other types of blocks which includes parameters and actions are DYNAMIC BLOCKS. Which as you mentioned Mirrored Blocks (in which miirror is a parameter).

I have attached a simple example of how to create these.

For more details about Dynamic blocks refer this link and its sub links:

Cheers,

Vinay Vijayakumaran

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report