Did you mean: 

Individual Linetype Scaling

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
3969 Views, 8 Replies

Individual Linetype Scaling

I've got a linetype issue that's been bugging me for a little while: is it possible to set linetype scales per viewport, or to turn off paper space scaling just for one line/linetype/layer?

I know that you can change linetype scales with various commands, or switch off scaling entirely, but I need to be able to turn off scaling for just one object.

The particular example is for road linemarking. We show a 1:1000 overall plan, then a 1:200 plan for intersection details. I need the linemarking to retain the real world scale/dimensions (eg. 600mm line and 600mm spacing for a Give Way line) at both of those scales, rather than having the spacing scale up to meet the viewport setting.

However, I need the rest of the linetypes in the view to scale up, to keep the plan tidy.

So is there a way to stop just the linemarking lines/layers/linetypes from scaling across different viewport scales? Or a way to control object/layer linetype scale per viewport, like other aspects in the Layer Properties panel.

Thanks,

Darcy

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
imadHabash
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>>  is it possible to set linetype scales per viewport

LTSCALE command and PSLTSCALE (System Variable)  are a global drawing commands in both Model and Paper space layouts . you asked for a certain line/layer linemarking , i suggest to overlap this line in model space . i mean that to put two linemarking lines overlaped with different ltscale . now from paper space layout pick inside your VP and turn OFF or freeze unwanted case from layer command ( VP freeze tab ) . 

in this way you've got your need in a certain line , and don't forget to do the same in the other VP's if there's any . 

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
ennujozlagam

refer to this article and see if helps. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 4 of 9
dan908

You could customize a linetype for the specific viewport if the line is not used in other viewports. But if it is a 1:1000 viewport and a 1:10 viewport that both show the same line, I am not sure this would work without having 2 lines. Just follow these steps: In AutoCAD type Linetype > pick Load > pick file. In Windows Explorer navigate to that file path and open the linetype file you use. The path is probably something like C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2021\R24.0\enu\Support Open the .lin file you normally use from Windows Explorer (it will open as text). Find the name of the line type you are wanting scaled. I will use Hidden as an example. In hidden you have: *HIDDEN,Hidden __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ A,.25,-.125 *HIDDEN2,Hidden (.5x) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ A,.125,-.0625 *HIDDENX2,Hidden (2x) ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ A,.5,-.25 Copy one of the Hiddens and change the name to suit your need and change the second and third value (the scales) to meet your need. - I am going to use 1000 *HIDDENX1000,Hidden (1000x) ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ A,250,-125 Save the file, Open AutoCAD, see that HiddenX1000 now exists and has a much larger scale.

Dan

AutoCAD Quality Assurance Manager
Message 5 of 9
RobDraw

I don't think a linetype is appropriate for this. You need separate line segments.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 6 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: RobDraw

@RobDraw wrote:

I don't think a linetype is appropriate for this. You need separate line segments.

Agreed.  Line types are for schematic purposes only, they are horrible/not intended for representing real-world lengths such as fence posts or lane markings.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 9
tboehler

Using the measure command with a block of the markings would work.  The block would be a 600mm line and the measure distance would be 1200mm.  Now if you have curves - this wont work in those areaa.  The measure command could still place a simple block where you could break (or trim) the center line to and from to create markings.

Use a no plot layer for the construction lines (and blocks to trim from on curves) and a plot layer for the final markings.

Or a lisp routine to divide the line into individual objects.  I can't help with that.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: dan908

Thanks for all the options everyone, all pretty good solutions, depending on the case.
As they're often on curves, best solution (at least for my case) is probably to set up a different linetype for different scales, and set that in the viewport.
That, or do it as segments, which is a pain for repeat editing, but it sounds like there's no fix-all answer anyway.

Cheers!

Message 9 of 9
jggerth

For what you are wanting to accomplish, I would also consider looking for a third party pavement marking program.  Linetypes as they exist in autoCAD  are very limited, and in many ways less capable that the 1980 methods of applying zip tape to mylar.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report