Importing a PDF as editable objects ???

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
patrick.lambert
2277 Views, 8 Replies

Importing a PDF as editable objects ???

Hi, 

I don't know if someone can help me with this but here's my problem: I need to import many pages from a PDF file to make a base plan out of it. But when I use the PDF import, it only import it as an image and not vectorial object as it would do with other PDFs. My question is : Is it possible to import it as a modifiable block/objects or it depends on the PDF itself, like AutoCAD don't recognize it as a plan drawing so it import it as an image only.

Thanks for the help  

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ronjonp
in reply to: patrick.lambert

It completely depends on the source PDF contents as to what AutoCAD will bring in.

Message 3 of 9
patrick.lambert
in reply to: ronjonp

So, i can't do nothing about it and have to trace over it basically. That will take a little longer than expected.

Message 4 of 9
ronjonp

Correct, unless you can find a vector format PDF. Is this something you found online?

Message 5 of 9
pendean

Raster PDFs (from scans) are not converted in AutoCAD to objects: its a picture and remains and picture.

If you have this as a dire business need, whip out a credit card and purchase a 3rd party solution that can do that: use RASTER TO VECTOR for your websearch term, remember to try before you buy.

HTH
Message 6 of 9
patrick.lambert
in reply to: ronjonp

Its an As-Built plan set from our client, that was scanned presumably. So not directly printed in PDF from AutoCAD. Do you know if there are some scanner that could scan the original plan set in a vertor format, like those who can recognize writings ?

Message 7 of 9
JBerns

Could you use the AutoCAD Raster Design toolset (RasterCAD) to convert any of the PDF?

https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad/included-toolsets/autocad-raster-design 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Autodesk Certified Instructor
Autodesk Inventor 2020 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2017 Certified Professional
Message 8 of 9
pendean
in reply to: JBerns

Message 9 of 9

Some great comments below as usual.  I have experienced the same thing.  someone in production printed out a legit PDF.  afterwards they SCANNED it to a PDF and sent it to me.  that would not work out as far as providing graphics to be worked with.   If production generated a PDF, say from AutoCAD and sent it to me and I performed a ......

INSERT>PDF UNDERLAY>IMPORT AS OBJECTS, this certainly would provide real graphics that i can work with.  Although the fidelity of the graphics can be a tad skewed, its close enough for getting the bulk of what i need down.  I can always firm up the areas dimensionally as I have a need for it.

Based on the info provided in the other comments, it will be interesting to discover options for images.

Good Luck.

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report