Did you mean: 

Image "High Quality" retention

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
Anonymous
5911 Views, 27 Replies

Image "High Quality" retention

Using AutoCad 2016.  (previous editions as well)

Images pasted into drawings using the "High Graphics" setting do not permanently retain the "High Graphics" setting.  Image automatically reverts to "Low Graphics" setting when drawing is closed then re-opened.

This results in the images not appearing when printing to a printer.   ( Interestingly, the image does appear when using Adobe Editor to produce PDFs, in spite of Editor apparently using the Print layout saved in the drawing to produce the PDF.)

In order to have the image appear in the printout, the image property has to be manually reset to "High Graphics" before printing.  This obviously creates numerous problems in the real world, including batch plotting, and other CAD users not being aware that this effort is necessary in order to print complete information.

Methods/settings tried that would presumably be approprate:

Inserting using:   Paste Special /  Picture (Enhanced Metafile)

Setting:  OLEQUALITY to 2

Is anyone out there aware of a method to make images inserted as "High Graphics" stay in the "High Graphics" setting?

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
m_kingdon
in reply to: Anonymous

I am not too familiar with using OLE to bring in images. I have always brought in images through the xref window (attach>image). With those images AutoCAD always plots to high quality.

Mike Kingdon
Civil 3D Zealot

EESignature

Message 3 of 28
john.vellek

Hi Charles.lucianojr and welcome to the forums!

I agree with @m_kingdon on how to import images. This method lets you have control of your images in an external application  and then place the file inside of AutoCAD.

To control the Plot Quality of OLE Files check out this AKN Article.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 28
Anonymous

Thanks Gents for your replys,

I'm not looking for different method of "Embedding" (as opposed to linking) images into in drawings.  This is a copy / paste method which is fast and convenient for high volume work.   The PASTESPEC command works great initally.  The problem is that it does not continue to work as advertised. 

Referencing the AKN "To set the Plot Quality for OLE Objects" article, You see there is a "High Graphics" option.  Some images need to be set to High Graphics in order to be printed.

As I said, when I set an image to High Graphics so it will plot, it stays set until I close the drawing and re-open it.  When the drawing is re-opened, that image is now set to "Low Graphics" and will not appear on the printed page.  Interestingly, It does show in the "Print Preview", but will not print onto the paper in Low Graphic setting.  

So, the only problem is: why does the image not stay the way I set it ?

Message 5 of 28
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am not suggesting that you change your workflow but merely providing an alternative that might produce more consistent results for you.

Can you please attach some files to thread to let me see if I can duplicate the issue on my side?

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Thanks John for your interest in this. 

Here is a sample drawing.

Message 7 of 28
sthompson1021

I opened your .dwg and after changing the image to high quality thru the properties pallet, I opened and closed it several times without it reverting to low quality. This was with both 2016 and 2017.

Message 8 of 28
john.vellek

HI Charles.lucianojr

I opened your drawing as @sthompson1021 did and had no problem setting it to high quality. Closed and then reopened and it retained this setting. I also noticed that this drawing, when first opened, displayed a message indicating that it was not created with AutoCAD. Perhaps this is part of your issue? Do you know where the drawing was created?

John Vellek

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: sthompson1021

Yes, I opened the your saved version and see the same thing.   Works as advertised!   I wonder what setting(s) might be different to make yours work, and mine not.   We are using 2015 & 2016 here.  Have the same results I described on all PCs here.  Any thoughts?

Message 10 of 28
Anonymous

The original drawing was created in Italy.  I don't know what program they use.  I don't get why our Autocad packages are not acting the same as yours.  What settings might affect this?

Message 11 of 28
sthompson1021

I've got my OLEQUALITY set to 3.

Message 12 of 28
john.vellek

HI Charles.lucianojr

This might take a little diging to find which setting is different. But first, might I suggest htat you use the -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command to make sure the drawing is 100%. after you run this command I suggest you also purge and audit the file.

I am attaching a list of my system variables (created from the Express Tools>System Variables tool) for your use. If this is beyond your capability you can send me your list and I can compare for you.

John Vellek

Message 13 of 28
Anonymous

I downloaded  @sthompson1021's drawing, saved it to a new file name, closed it, and reopened it.  The graphic setting is on low.  What the heck?

Message 14 of 28
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I don't see an update on your post so I thought I would check to see if you wanted to compare our system variables per my last post.

Also, if you logon onto your workstation as a new and different user with full administrator permissions does the problem still occur? 

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

John Vellek

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous

John

I compared my system variable list to yours.  I did not recognize any differences that might cause this problem, but maybe you will, so I attached the text of both yours and mine.

A little background info:  I'm a contractor, and have my own 2016 license.  The site version being used is 2015 now.  These drawings were received from an OEM in Italy,  and the local company's title blocks were added using versions 2012 & 2013.    However this problem does not exist only with these drawings.  We experimented with inserting raster files in fresh drawings and the same issue exists in all instances.  The Operating system we are all using is Windows 7 Pro 64.

I did follow your advice regarding purge, audit, & exporttoautocad.

One thing I noticed, the file size is double in the drawing that will not retain the High Graphic setting.  (sThompson's file is 861KB, mine is 1715KB)

Don't know if this indicates anything of significance to this problem.

Once again I appreciate any assistance I (we) get in resolving this issue.  In our business using raster images in CAD files is quickly becoming a very common practice.  We recieve drawings from many sources and locations for the equipment we use and it's important that we are able to manage these files easily and reliably.

Message 16 of 28
sthompson1021

Do you have any startup routines that load when you open a dwg, or are you using any add on programs with autocad. I compared you sys vars with mine and didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary.

Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: sthompson1021

List of customization files that load on startup:

acad

custom

bim360

appmanager

featuredapps

sketchupimportskp

express

autoscript

Message 18 of 28
john.vellek

HI Charles.lucianojr

Did you have the chance to try logging in as a new user on the workstation to see if it makes any difference?

Please add a post with your results so other Forum users can benefit.

John Vellek

Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

John,

I'm not sure if I understand your jist, but if you are refering to having full admin rights, here are the circumstances.

I am a contractor.  I use my own version of 2016 purchased circa 8/2015 on my laptop. Previously I was using 2012.  Of course I have full rights with this machine.

Also, while on site at my clients location,  I use their 2015 package, previously they were using 2013.  We are/were having the High Graphics retention problem with all of these packages. 

Is it possible all of these would be missing some Service Pack / Update revisions?  

Why would all of these packages not retain the High Graphics setting and yours and sthompson's do?

Message 20 of 28
john.vellek

Hi Charles.lucianojr,

I ask that you log on as a new user because you should see no customization of AutoCAD that way. This user account should have full administrator permissions to make sure that everything gets copied into the new profile properly.

If you could indulge me, could you do an image attachment rather than a copy/paste to see if the image quality is altered?

Obviously, the normal behavior is for the setting to be retained so there is something in your environment that is altering it. I would advise that all workstations be updated for both the operating systems as well as the AutoCAD applications. If we can get this verified we will at least know that every machine is set up the same.

Lets try this also, can you make sure that the page setup for a sample drawing has been set to Default Windows System Printer (not a PDF printer)?

Please post your results here.

I appreciate your patience on this and I  will continue to work on this issue with you.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report