Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to draw angled projected lines?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
JoshBretscher
289 Views, 2 Replies

How to draw angled projected lines?

I apologize if the following is hard to visualize, but I'll do my best to explain the problem.  I use AutoCAD in combination with pointclouds to make accurate drawings of building elevations (about 1/8th inch of tolerance across for the length of wall, window, etc.).  I usually draw by placing a UCS on the face I'm drawing and turning on OSNAPZ and 3DOSNAP.  This allows me to click the points on adjacent faces and have them projected onto my UCS making it easy to draw lots of elevations quickly.  I can only do this however when an adjacent wall or face is 90 degrees relative to the face I'm trying to draw.  If it is not 90 degrees, than the lines I draw cannot be accurately projected and I have to strain my eyes trying to make sure I click points exactly on the corner.  I would like to project lines at angles other than 90 degrees if possible.  For instance, imagine a pointcloud containing three walls in the shape of a triangle (not a right triangle).  Is there a way I could accurately draw the outline of a wall by projecting lines created by clicking points from the other two walls?  I feel like there should be someway to do this if I place a UCS on each walls' face and use the intersections of the XY planes, but don't know how...

-----------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2018 Professional
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

If you select the point cloud, the ribbon changes to the Point Cloud tools with AutoCAD and you can snap to faces and centrelines of pipes. They have to be .rcp files though.

Not sure if that will help, but it might help you find faces of walls.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Tomislav.Golubovic

thank you for your reply

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta