Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help transitioning from Vectorworks to AutoCAD

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
charlie7QQ7Y
197 Views, 3 Replies

Help transitioning from Vectorworks to AutoCAD

I've been working on Vectorworks for the past 7 years and have a pretty solid understanding of the software.

Anyway, I've got an upcoming job interview for a position that would be perfect for me.. the only worry is it's autoCAD based. I've been playing around with the trial today and whilst it mostly seems straightforward, it can be quite frustrating learning over again. I'm usually a fairly speedy learner when it comes to this sort of thing, so I'm sure it's just a matter of perseverance.

What I'm wondering is if anybody has made the same transition as me? And if so, any tips or resources you could share?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

@charlie7QQ7Y 

Welcome to the community!

You can check at https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-39B76D69-225D-45EE-A9AC-59CCBF48AF64 

https://www.youtube.com/@sourcecad 

www.bim-3d-4d-5d.blogspot.com
www.bim-navisworks.blogspot.com
Twitter @SureshChotrani
Give KUDOs if happy & accept solution if post provides solution
Message 3 of 4
pendean
in reply to: charlie7QQ7Y

@charlie7QQ7Y wrote:

I've been working on Vectorworks for the past 7 years and have a pretty solid understanding of the software.

....the only worry is it's autoCAD based....

There is always going to be a learning curve, and nope, you're not going to get it in a day or week or month. Sorry. That's just the reality of it all. Your ability to forget VW is going to help a lot though, you'll eventually get there.

If they only use plain AutoCAD (but not the ARCHITECTURE version which is closer to VW in at least many of the ideas) your struggle is going to be even tougher. Unless they purchased or created a lot of customizations. Plain AutoCAD only draws "dumb" lines, literally. VW is not that.

Message 4 of 4
AVCPlugins
in reply to: charlie7QQ7Y

If you are modeling in pure AutoCAD (not Architectural), then I would highly advise you to read my short tips

It's much faster and much more useful than reading all the official documentation.

Plugins for AutoCAD
A>V>C>
AppStore | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta