Did you mean: 

Globally change invisible attributes

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Hendrik_Heidemann
280 Views, 4 Replies

Globally change invisible attributes

Hey everyone, 

in my company we use blocks and the data-extraction to generate bills of quantity. We use invisible attributes for some internal stuff in the tool that creates the bills of quantity from the exported .xls files. 

We now want to include another product line which uses basically the same blocks as an existing one but we need to change one of the invisible attributes for all the blocks we have in a library file which is so far just a copy of the old one. 

I tried using -ATTEDIT, GATTE and SEARCH but no luck so far. Maybe user error but I don't know what I am doing wrong. 

Does anyone of you have an idea for this? 

Cheers

Hendrik

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tramber
in reply to: Hendrik_Heidemann

Did you synchronize ?

ATTSYNC in your target drawing.

Old attributes are not really removed from block insertions (I am not talking about their definitions)... they need to be synchronized so that they include the newly defined attributes and remove the newly removed !

My advice if i understood well.

Because i am not sur i got the issue...

Message 3 of 5
Hendrik_Heidemann
in reply to: tramber

Hey Tramber, 

thank you for your reply. My issue is of another kind than what you described, so sorry if my original post is misleading in that regard. 

Let me try to clarify my issue.

I have around 100 blocks which belong to a certain product family. These blocks all contain an attribute that is set to invisible. When you define an attribute within the block you can set it to invisible. It can neither be seen in the model space nor the quick properties of the block, which is the desired status. 

for the existing product line the blocks work as intended. 

Now I copied most of the blocks into a new dwg which we will use as our library file for a new product line. 

for the new product line I need to change the value of an invisible attribute for all of the blocks in the drawing from one value which is the same for all of them to a new value. 

While I could go into every block in the file and change it manually I would appreciate an automated process as it is very much possible and probable that I will need it another time in the future. 

I hope this clears up the issue a little more.

Message 4 of 5
tramber

Got it !

What about -ATTEDIT (with the -)

With the Global choice (and not one by one)

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-B1B9504C-A75A-4CF4-8D12-C193C1D9CDD0

Message 5 of 5
cadffm

Hi

not a direct answer, but

>>" When you define an attribute within the block you can set it to invisible."

Right

>>"It can neither be seen in the model space"

If Attmode is set to normal(1) or off(0), not on(2)

>>"nor the quick properties of the block"

They appears in quickproperties and also in normal properties palette.

I don't know what's going on, but what you talking about is not what one would initially suspect

under the description “invisible attributes” (Attdefs and attributes with property invisible=yes).

It sounds more like you removed the attributes via a visibility parameter.

If so, the most (often old) Tools like  GATTE or -ATTEDIT can not handle dynamic block variants, just the original Version (before dynamic changes done).

Sebastian

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta