Ghost or Phantom snap points

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
2218 Views, 11 Replies

Ghost or Phantom snap points

Hi

I have spent the last 2 days trying to draw a polyline but cant get it to snap to the correct location, the line keeps snapping to what I call phantom snap points in my drawing.

I have tried turning on/of various snaps in osnap along with the 3d snap, turned on/of "Magnet" in settings and resized the snap aperture box and selected various viewpoints.

I have reset Autocad to default settings on several occasions, copied my drawing into a new one with the same result.

Un fortunately this is not the only instance that I have had this problem.

I am using Autocad 2018 Educational Version on a Windows 10 machine.

Any and all help will greatly appreciated.

The fossil

Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
imadHabash
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

would you please attache here your 3d blue line , for testing ?

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
andkal

If there are any phontom objects in the drawing you can get rid of them by running AUDIT

• www.autolisps.blogspot.com - Productivity plugins for Autocad and Autocad MEP
• Autodesk AppStore
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: imadHabash

Hi Imad

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have attached the drawing, with the red circles, top one is the point I want to snap to and the other is the where the line actually snaps to.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: andkal

Hi Andkal

Will give it a try.

Message 6 of 12
fatal.error

The polyline's elevation value (origin and end point) is set to -3646.95, while the circle's centerpoint where you're trying to snap to have a Position Z value of -3748.98.

Since there are different non-coplanar Z-Values, you need to draw a 3D Polyline instead.

Try the attached file where I drew a magenta 3D Polyline on top of the original red Polyline.

Furthermore, after clicking a polyline vertex, you can press SHIFT + RIGHT-CLICK to show a menu where you can temporary enable/disable snaps:

Annotation 2020-08-09 201836.png

Lastly, you're not working on the default WORLD UCS. To restore it, try typing UCS and then W.

Sometimes the Dynamic UCS get things messy. Press the F6 key to enable/disable it.

Message 7 of 12
imadHabash

Hi,

Thanks for your CAD dwg . i open it and try snapping here and there and nothing weird found !! for that i suggest to select just one osnap mode for use no more , any changes ?

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: fatal.error

Thanks for that, I can now draw my line where I want.

The new problem, When I extrude the 3D poly line It doesn't extrude as a solid but as a mesh.

Same thing in other parts of the drawing where I have 2 entities on different planes, one a poly line, the other a 3D poly line. When I loft these two together they are not solid but hollow.

Cheers

Message 9 of 12
imadHabash

>> When I extrude the 3D poly line It doesn't extrude as a solid but as a mesh.

check MOde option in Extrude command . 

Command: EXTRUDE
Current wire frame density: ISOLINES=4, Closed profiles creation mode = Solid
Select objects to extrude or [MOde]:

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

The new problem, When I extrude the 3D poly line It doesn't extrude as a solid but as a mesh.

If you need to use a 3D Polyline instead of a 2D one because the points are not in the same plane, then presumably you will get a result that itself does not lie in a plane.  If that's the case, you cannot Extrude it into a Solid, regardless of the MOde option you choose in the Extrude command.  A 3D Polyline must be flat  to be able to Extrude into a Solid.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 11 of 12
fatal.error

As @Kent1Cooper stands, all of the 3D Polyline vertices must be in the same plane (coplanar). You can check it by converting that 3D Polyline into a Region. If you get "0 Regions created" as result, the vertices are non-coplanar or the loop is not closed.

Message 12 of 12
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: fatal.error

@fatal.error wrote:

... all of the 3D Polyline vertices must be in the same plane (coplanar). You can check it by converting that 3D Polyline into a Region. ....

Another way to check:

(vlax-curve-isPlanar (car (entsel)))

and pick on the 3D Polyline [or anything else that qualifies under the (vlax-curve...) functions].  It returns T if the object is planar, nil if not.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report