Did you mean: 

Georeferenced images AutoCAD to ArcGIS

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jbrown3HW9ZG
550 Views, 5 Replies

Georeferenced images AutoCAD to ArcGIS

Using AutoCAD 2015, ArcGIS Pro

I have a large number of images that I've georeferenced in a DWG. I'm trying to move them to ArcGIS Pro, without having to manually georeference everything again in ArcGIS. The images keep being placed on my ArcGIS map in the wrong locations, and the problem doesn't seem to be either units or projection.

I have been using the WORLDOUT command from https://www.cadstudio.cz/georefimg to create World Files, then adding the image to ArcGIS. 

I have checked that the projections I use are the same in both. I have experimented with changing the map units and drawing units. I have moved the Geographic Marker and the UCS to the projection origin (with false northing-easting and real northing-easting). I've manually converted the units and edited the World File.

Has anyone been successful at this before? How did you do it?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Pointdump
in reply to: jbrown3HW9ZG

Jameson,
I didn't know you could geo-reference an image with Vanilla AutoCAD. What steps are you using to accomplish this?
What images are you using? Can you post some examples, or maybe a link to where you got them?
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 6
pendean
in reply to: Pointdump

@Pointdump read their sentence again "...I have been using the WORLDOUT command from https://www.cadstudio.cz/georefimg to create World Files ..." notice the link is to an app called Geo Ref Img (geo-reference an image)

HTH

Message 4 of 6
pendean
in reply to: jbrown3HW9ZG

You are using 3rd party tools: there is nothing in AutoCAD to make the transition you seek.
Perhaps the author of your favorite 3rd party tool (CadStudio) has another for your desired task.

Message 5 of 6
Pointdump
in reply to: pendean

@pendean,
Nothing wrong with my reading comprehension. Geo-referencing involves Scale, Rotation, and pinning a map to a location on the earth with Lats and Longs. I was just asking OP what steps he was using. Without Coordinates in a particular Coordinate System, a World file isn't much use, and ArcGIS will be unable to place the image correctly.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 6 of 6

Hi Jameson,

we will probably need an example of the project (DWG+image), the complaining world file from GeoRefImg and and an example of a proper world file from ArcGIS. Are the images just shifted or also wrong scaled/rotated in ArcGIS? Is your cordinate system properly transformed from AutoCAD DWG to ArcGIS?

Vladimir Michl, www.cadstudio.cz - www.cadforum.cz

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report