Export .prj file from AutoCAD

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
9977 Views, 3 Replies

Export .prj file from AutoCAD

Hi All!

I’m trying to convert a .dwg into a geo-located .shp file, so as a preliminary step I am geo-locating the file in AutoCAD using the GEOGRAPHICLOCATION command and then converting the file through ArcGIS.

Now I save the file with a geographic position 'embedded', but a .prj file is not generated which means the geolocation is not recognised in ArcGIS. The only reason I know it should be is because when this in testing this out yesterday, a .prj file was saved when the .dwg was saved. Then when I imported the .dwg into ArcGIS, it recognised a location. Otherwise it errors out.

Are these .prj files interchangeable based on the mapping grid system, or are they specific to the geographic marker?

Thanks all for your help.

Nicholas McLeod

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Export of .prj files just possible in AutoCAD Map. So I think you have th change the forum.

Message 3 of 4
jggerth
in reply to: Anonymous

If you want to export entities (lines, polygons, text or points) from a DWG to an SHP, then you need to be using Map3D.  Set you draing up on a coordinate system instead of the 'geolocation'.

There is no 'convert a drawing to shape' ability in any of the Acad applications. 

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: jggerth

You can use the mapexport command to export DWGs as shapefiles.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report