Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error When Inserting Saved Blocks

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1818 Views, 6 Replies

Error When Inserting Saved Blocks

Hello all, I am having an issue with inserting saved blocks in AutoCAD Architecture 2017 - Windows 10.  All blocks that are being inserted are saved within C:\WBLOCKS and this location is listed as a trusted location in file options.  

Here is the sequence of events to obtain the error/bug.  

I, enter, type name of block, enter, ERROR message "The specified block name is invalid.", Continue, Browse, find exact same block within WBLOCK folder, Open, OK, block inserts just fine.  

If you try another block after receiving the error message once, you can bypass the Browse step above and simply click OK and the block will insert after throwing the ERROR Message.  

I often run routines via Excel VB.  This issue prevents me from being able to automate the changes that I currently am responsible for, thus slowing things down a bit.  Any knowledge is greatly appreciated!  

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cadffm
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't know what the problem is.

Only in one file or in all, and in new ones based on acad.dwt?

a) create a new standard profile and test this one

(for example create a new desktop link a set a new unknown profilename /p "totalnew" )

b) One thing i can not understand and i feel...

"I often run routines via Excel VB.  This issue prevents me from being able to automate the changes"

What the hack have you VB to do with the insert-Dialog?

I'm already looking forward to the answer as you have implemented the external control,
maybe it happens that there is another program for this purpose?

Or is there the same problem when you are using the commandlineversion of insert command?

Sebastian

Message 3 of 7
gotphish001

If you try another block after receiving the error message once, you can bypass the Browse step above and simply click OK and the block will insert after throwing the ERROR Message.  

When you say "try another block" do you mean try the same block again or a completely different block?

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: cadffm

Betreff, thanks for the response.  This issue occurs in all files for some unknown reason.  I have deleted the WBLOCKS folder from the computer as well as from trusted locations with no fix upon re-loading.  This is day 2 with a new PC with the 2017 version.  Previously, I have ran the 2016 version with no such issue.  

The issue exists when using the command line version as well as any other input for the insert dialog.  

As far as Excel VBA to assist in automation, I have multiple layouts that require routine updates/changes.  Using the excel file, I accomplish automated PDF generation from my 444 different layouts after making specific block changes/inserts utilizing the data within the excel file to pull the correct block(s) for each layout.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: gotphish001

gotphish001, 

A completely different block.  See the attached video in the original thread for the example.  Thanks for your assistance!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Hello All, after some trial and error, I found a solution.  It may be something that is normally done, but I simply added the WBLOCK location to the Support File Search Path and it corrected the issue (Trusted Locations alone did not work) .  

Thank you all for the assistance and for your willingness to help!

Message 7 of 7
cadffm

?
You can only insert blockreferences of existing block (internal stored blockdefinitions),
if there isn't existing a block with that name acad search for a file with that name.
Current folder, support pathes..

In commandlineversion (sendcommand from excel) you can send the blockname incl. Path.
If intern a block with this name existing, acad insert a blockreference of this block,
if not acad import the given file as block(definition) and create a blockreferenc of this block.
You can force the import (and re-define the existing block).
Read the Help topic for -INSERT.
(Start INSERT command, F1, scroll down to the Link of -INSERT)

And trusted* is only for executable files (programs).

Thumbs up

Sebastian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report