Did you mean: 

Erratic Unpredictable Trimming

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
541 Views, 5 Replies

Erratic Unpredictable Trimming

I often use the TRIM command to remove extraneous portions of one entity in order to join that entity to a second entity (the second acting as the trim boundary), in order to form a continuous polyline (using PEDIT and JOIN). But, unless the entity is trimmed completely up to the boundary, the join function will not be successful (i.e. the end points of the two entities must be coincident for JOIN to work).

I recently switched from AutoCAD LT 2010 to LT 2015. Unless I’m mistaken, with LT 2010 when I selected an entity to TRIM and a boundary to trim to, ALL portions of the entity beyond the trim boundary would be removed with a single mouse selection. But with LT 2015, depending on where I click on the trimmed entity, sometimes only a portion will be removed, and an additional portion (between the removed portion and the boundary) will still remain.

Sometimes it would take several successive trims to completely remove the to-be-trimmed portion up to the trim boundary. Further complicating things, if a very small, not-visually-obvious portion still remains to be trimmed, the attempt to JOIN the entities fails. When this occurs, it requires ZOOMing in multiple times to the junction between the ‘trimmee’ and the ‘trimmer’ to TRIM off every last segment. Also, there are sometimes orphaned segments remaining past and/or between the successive trim points, requiring additional ERASEing.

Q1. Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

Q2. If so, do you have any tips to deal with it?

Q3. Is this considered a bug or a feature of LT 2015?

Q4. If there a setting or a workaround to make TRIM remove the entire portion of the entity extending past the boundary with one mouse-click selection?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated . . .

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Johneng
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you tried to use the multiple option of the PEDIT command? Start the PEDIT command start the multiple option. Select your objects. After selecting your objects answer yes if you are ask to convert lines, arcs, and splines to polylines. When prompted to enter an option select the join option. When prompted to enter a fuzz distance set the fuzz distance to a value large enough to capture the endpoint of the line you are trying to join. Autocad will then tell you how many segments were added to the polyline. if you have successfully joined your segments you can then exit the command.

Capture F2.PNG

You should read the multiple section of this link.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACDLT/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-0C422AA9-23DD-4650-AD66-68E9D7989E3F

You should read the join, jointype, extend, add, and both sections of this link.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACDLT/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-648BDC21-E835-478F-A318-9D201479998D

Message 3 of 6
vinodkl

Please check if system variable EDGEMODE is set to 0. This is the one which would be causing the problem I guess.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ವಿನೋದ್ ಕೆ ಎಲ್( System Design Engineer)

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if my reply resolves the issue or answers your question, to help others in the community.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Johneng

My (LT2015) help file is a little different from your referenced 2019 version, but it's given me some areas to explore. I learned AutoCAD back in version 9? and never bothered to relearn commands that I thought I already understood. Thanks for reminding me to keep my knowledge current . . .

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: vinodkl

I think your suggestion is the answer I was looking for. I tried setting it to 0 (was at 1) and it seems to behave more like what I was used to. Thanks again . . .

Message 6 of 6
vinodkl

you're welcome @Anonymous 

ವಿನೋದ್ ಕೆ ಎಲ್( System Design Engineer)

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if my reply resolves the issue or answers your question, to help others in the community.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report