Did you mean: 

DWG Preview Will Not Display in Windows Preview Pane

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
Anonymous
33972 Views, 32 Replies

DWG Preview Will Not Display in Windows Preview Pane

Hi, has anyone had the issue where a dwg will not display in the Windows 7 preview pane?  I have already checked my Thumbnail Preview Settings in Autocad and preview will not show regardless of which version I save the file as. Folder view setting in Windows is also set to display thumbnails.  This is unfortunately the easiest way for me to find certain types of files and the preview in AutoCAD's "Open Drawing" dialogue is actually too small for me to distiguish between files. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

*Running AutoCAD Architecture 2014 on Windows 7

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
wispoxy
in reply to: Anonymous

Sounds like it's on DEF point.

Message 3 of 33
wispoxy

The user having the problem is out today, so I'll have to wait 'til Monday to have her try it.  But...

I looked at my registry and I'm finding ACAD-B005:409, not ACAD-B001:409.  Would that be the same thing?  Will this affect the ability to see previews in Windows Explorer?  Because while I can see the previews even in explorer, she can't see them anywhere.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a tip from a customer with the same problem:

- Check that next key in the registry is setup = 1:
KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R19.0\ACAD-B001:409\Profiles\your profile\Dialogs\Select File   - PreviewVisible =1

If it's already = 1, turn it to "0" (zero), launch AutoCAD, run the open command (the preview area should not be visible). Close AutoCAD, and change the value of the key back to "1". Is now the preview available?

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Message 4 of 33
Patchy
Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: wispoxy

As in, the cad objects are on the Defpoints layer?  I wish it was that simple.  I'm saying, all files, no matter what they contain, will not display in the Windows 7 Preview Pane.

Message 6 of 33
wispoxy

I understand now, read my post after that.

Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

Yeah, I've actually already exhausted everything from that post Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 33
Anonymous

How does one check their registry?

For the record, my files do show a preview when I'm using the AutoCAD "open new file" dialogue to open them.  It's just when I'm opening files through Windows Explorer that there is not thumbnail or anything in the preview pane.

Message 9 of 33
wispoxy

There's no way you could've done mine that fast and responded back, think you missed a step.

Message 10 of 33
Patchy
Message 11 of 33
Anonymous

Huh? I asked you how to check the registry.  I don't know how to perform the actions you described.  The other post was in reply to Patchy.

Message 12 of 33
wispoxy

Windows 7 , 32 bit or 64? it matters.

Message 13 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

Yes, I saw that one too upon Googling before this post and do not want to install Drawing TrueView as it has caused problems with my system before.

Message 14 of 33
Anonymous

Message 15 of 33
wispoxy

Note: You can open Registry Editor this way in any version of Windows that utilizes the registry, including Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.

Difficulty: Easy

Time Required: It'll take less than a minute to open Registry Editor in any version of Windows.

How To Open Registry Editor

1. In Windows 10 or Windows 8.1, right-click or tap-and-hold the Start button and then choose Run. Prior to Windows 8.1, Run is most easily available from the Apps screen.

In Windows 7 or Windows Vista, click on Start.

In Windows XP, click on the Start button and then click Run....

2. In the search box, or Run window, type the following:
    regedit

and then press Enter.

Note: Depending on your version of Windows, and how it's configured, you may see a User Account Control dialog box where you'll need to confirm that you want to open Registry Editor.

3. Registry Editor will open.

If you've used Registry Editor before, it'll open up to the same location you were working in last time. If that happens, and you don't want to work with the keys or values at that location, just continue to minimize the registry keys until you've reached the top level, listing the various registry hives.

1. You can now make whatever changes you need to make in to the registry.

Important: Considering the impact that the registry has on your computer, I highly recommend that, before you get started, you either backup the entire registry, or backup the individual registry keys that you're planning on working with, whatever is more appropriate for what you're planning on doing in Registry Editor.
Message 16 of 33
Anonymous

Ok, just did this and it did turn off/on the preview function in AutoCAD's "Select File" command but it had no affect on the Window Explorer Preview Pane which is where I'm having the problem.

Message 17 of 33
pendean

Is this the default setting at the User's PC? And what about other suers with the same software?
"In Windows Explorer, click Organize / Folder and Search options / View Tab.
Remove the Check Mark from the Always show Icons never Thumbnails option.
Click Apply / OK."

BTW, if it was already unchecked - then check it, then a few minutes later uncheck it again - then test.

I've also seen this, a bit of a long shot: check the option for: SHOW CONTROLLERS FOR PREVIEW IN THE PREVIEW PANE.

Otherwise a repair reinstall of ACA2014 is required, and ACA2014 should be run the first time after that "as administrator" under the User's Windows log-in.
Message 18 of 33
wispoxy

So it's not a registry or temp issue. It must be settings through AutoCAD or Windows.

Is your AutoCAD file DWG?

Message 19 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I believe it was default as I never changed it and have had a new AutoCAD suite installed a couple times.

I don't have an option for "SHOW CONTROLLERS...".  I do however have "Show preview handlers in preview pane" and it is checked.

Message 20 of 33
Anonymous

Yes, and FYI I have already checked the Thumbnail Preview Settings in Options

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report