Duplicate definition of block....ignored

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
8404 Views, 25 Replies

Duplicate definition of block....ignored

Hello,

I have tried to PURGE, AUDIT and -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD, but I still cannot copy and paste. I get an error: "Duplicate definition of block....ignored."
Here is a link to the files I want copy and paste on other drawings.

I'm stuck, need help!

All the best

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
chriscowgill7373
in reply to: Anonymous

Clear out your %temp% folder

Beyond that, what it is telling you is the block you are copying and pasting already exists in the new drawing and that it won't update the definition based on the new pasting.  if you are trying to update a block definition, you'll have to use the INSERT command

Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.

AutoCAD Certified Professional
Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2022 on Windows 10

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: chriscowgill7373

I am using the insert command. That does not solve anything, it makes no difference to the drawing. Still getting the same error message.

Message 4 of 26
chriscowgill7373

When you use the INSERT command, it should ask you if you want to redefine an existing block.  Would it be possible for you to record a screencast of your workflow, or post some drawings that can demonstrate your issue?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 5 of 26
imadHabash

Hi,

i suggest to follow this AKN link that it could help.

Regards,

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous

It does not ask if I want redefine an existing block. Attached is a screenshot and here are the drawings that I want to copy and paste.

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: imadHabash

I have already done all the step in that article as well.

Message 8 of 26
chriscowgill7373

When you used the INSERT command, you are browsing out to the new definition you want to bring in correct, not just using the current definition already in the drawing?

Which drawing are you wanting to insert into what?  If you have individual block difiinitiosn within a file, they will not redefine even when you redefine the primary block, for that, you would want to use the design center, right click on the block in the old drawing you are using and tell it to redefine in the current file.

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous

With one drawing I was able to right click and tell it to redefine, but as always it made no difference, still getting the same error message. And in another drawing I couldn't even do that - picture attached.

Message 10 of 26
chriscowgill7373

Screenshot_20170528-084450.pngScreenshot_20170528-084332.png

You have to browse out for the drawing you want to bring the new block in from.  both of your screenshots you have provided show that you are trying to insert the same definition from the file you already have open.  There are over 1600 blocks in the one file that you provided, the screenshot you showed only has a single block

Message 11 of 26

Having gotten into the drawing with the rectangular door definition in your screen shot, the block is blank, it does not contain any data to insert into another drawing.

Message 12 of 26
Anonymous

So now I put data in it and did the purging and exploding again. Now when I try to paste, it gives ma another error message - duplicate definition of an external reference. Screenshot added.

Message 13 of 26
chriscowgill7373

do you have an xref in the drawing with that name? you cant have a block and xref of the same name.  technically a block and an xref is the same type of entity, just that the xref can be updated on the fly.  can you attach this acad-acad-acad-3.k....dwg file that you keep showing in your screenshots?

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous

Here are the 2 drawings that I have been trying to copy and paste.

Message 15 of 26
chriscowgill7373

Everything seems to be working fine, other than your duplicate definitions, which are not really an error as much as they are a warning.  if you want to fix that, you need to find those duplicate definitions and manually remove them from your current drawing you are working in.  start by detaching those xrefs, or modifying the xrefs directly, then they will automatically update (which is the whole point of an xref)

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous

So I detached all the xrefs from both files. Now when trying to paste I get an error message "pasteclip Invalid". It's getting worse and worse...

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous

Message 18 of 26
chriscowgill7373

What is it exactly that you are trying to accomplish?

are you trying to copy a drawing into another drawing?

Are you trying to redefine a block in a drawing by inserting a newer version of it? 

You never really have said what you are trying to do.  You just keep stating that it isnt working, but not what it is that isnt working.  From everything I have seen, AutoCAD is working as designed.

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous

Yes, I want to copy one drawing into another. That's all I want.

Message 20 of 26
Anonymous

Is there a block in the source drawing that has the same name as the source drawing??

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta