Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double clicking a viewport takes me to Model space?

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
cljones300
7145 Views, 22 Replies

Double clicking a viewport takes me to Model space?

When I click to edit a viewport in AutoCAD in layouts, so I can scroll and pan my drawing to the correct view and size. It takes me to a model space page where this comes up:

1.jpg

Then nothing happens. I then quit this with pspace command to return to my layout containing my unsuccessfully edited viewport :/.

What am I doing wrong. I have 3 detailed viewports on my layout, I don't imagine this is a Hardware issue as I have 32GB of RAM? I am using AutoCAD 2017.

Thank you

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
gotphish001
in reply to: cljones300

If you click on the edge of the viewport it will take you to model space  zoomed in on that viewport. It's handy if you don't want to have to locate something in model space especially if you are working on someone else's drawing that are a mess. If you click in the viewport not on the edge it takes you into modelspace in that viewport but still on the layout tab. That is what you want to do.

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 3 of 23
GrantsPirate

A double click on the VP will place you in MS in a maximized viewport view.  If you want to edit a VP just click once and then proceed with your edit.  If you want to go into MS through the viewport then double click over the viewport area and not directly on the VP border.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 4 of 23
cljones300
in reply to: gotphish001

I see! When I do this, it selects the main large viewport rather than the small detailed ones. So I can't seem to edit them? Can only click on their boarders to edit in model space. 

Message 5 of 23
cljones300

I have figured it out, I needed to create a new layer. AutoCAD didn't seem to like that the viewports were on layer 0!?

Message 6 of 23
cadffm

Normally not a problem, but not:
System layers and blocks for system
Userdefind layers and blocks for user.

Dont freeze or lock layer0, DEFPOINTS, and so on.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 7 of 23
DavidPTTLG5

THIS STILL DOES THE SAME THING FOR ME, AND MY VIEWPORTS ARE ON A NOPLOT LAYER.

THEY NEED TO ADJUST THE TIME TO RECOGNIZE CLICKS. THIS IS SUCH A PAIN. I HAVE TO RIGHT CLICK AND EDIT ATTRIBUTES BECAUSE DOUBLE CLICKING TAKES ME INTO THE MODELSPACE VIEWPORT EVERY SINGLE TIME. THEY NEED TO UNDO WHAT THEY CHANGED SINCE LAST VERSION. THIS IS A REAL PAIN.

Message 8 of 23
pendean
in reply to: DavidPTTLG5

@DavidPTTLG5 wrote:

....THEY NEED TO UNDO WHAT THEY CHANGED SINCE LAST VERSION...

May I ask, how long back a version of AutoCAD did you use? double-clicking to enter a viewport have been around for a very very long time now.

Or by chance did you just forget to reset this old variable to what you need it to be like you did last time with your older version

pendean_0-1720727600371.png

Message 9 of 23
DavidPTTLG5
in reply to: pendean

Thank you,

When did that variable come in? I have only had this happen in 2024 ACA.

I wish they wouldn't turn on things that were previously always off. 

Message 10 of 23
pendean

@DavidPTTLG5 wrote:

...When did that variable come in?...

SPACESWITCH the variable? the year 2004 is the earliest documentation I can find right now, 20+years ago.

@DavidPTTLG5 wrote:

....I wish they wouldn't turn on things that were previously always off. 

Hardly. The core default is ON for over 20-years now, aka what you don't want, so you must have never known about it or someone took care of it for you before today that you never noticed before now

pendean_1-1720731201048.pngpendean_2-1720731221660.pngpendean_3-1720731242216.pngpendean_4-1720731261875.pngpendean_5-1720731283811.pngpendean_6-1720731308528.pngpendean_7-1720731326108.pngpendean_8-1720731347672.pngpendean_9-1720731364358.pngpendean_10-1720731384628.pngpendean_11-1720731401400.png

And so on, you get the picture.

Message 11 of 23
cljones300

Wow, I forgot I posted even posted this all those years ago. If memory surveys me right, i was having this issue when my UCS in the layout page wasn't set to world. Try setting the UCS back to home in your layout, I think that's what solved my problems problem when I posted this. 

Message 12 of 23
DavidPTTLG5

I have been using AutoCAD for 30 years and I am usually the one doing the installation.

While working on a project, I upgraded to 2024, and this started happening. I have never needed this setting changed until ACAD 2024. Those are the facts. I noticed a bunch of other things that are now turned on that I have to research and figure out what variable I have to change.

Message 13 of 23
cadffm

In this case, my only explaination is: 

You used the  "migrate from previous version" feature.

?

This feature CAN do unwanted things and CAN set up IMPOSSIBLE settings (in all versions).

You can see the default values in your help[F1] and they are correct for a new ootb installation.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 14 of 23
DavidPTTLG5
in reply to: cadffm

I never use migrate when installing because of the problems it causes. 

Message 15 of 23
cadffm

Okay, that means we don't know how it came.

Deinstall/Reinstall or reset to default,

I bet the settings are as expected.

Like you: Never had or read about such behaviors, except someone uses migration tools.

Also not in 2025 

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 16 of 23
pendean

@DavidPTTLG5 wrote:

...While working on a project, I upgraded to 2024...

Never should have done that. Sorry.

@DavidPTTLG5 wrote:

I have been using AutoCAD for 30 years... and this started happening....

Cant help you there, a stock default setting in the program is what it is. OOTB proof was provided in my last reply.

Since we are all old-timers around here just like you with 20-30-40years experience in the AutoCAD/variants,  we all have our favorite variables saved as scripts and LISP to reactivate and reset all the time to best fit our needs when we change. And for many versions of AutoCAD now, SYSVARMONITOR command helps keep those variables changes only a notification away if and when they change.  Looks like you are ready to start implementing more control on your environment that ever before: let us know if you need help creating these.

Best wishes.

Message 17 of 23
DavidPTTLG5

I only use AutoCAD for about 1% of my work. I mastered Autodesk Architecture but I have been using Revit almost exclusively for the last 15 years. I run into many things that are different out of the box. I have even seen direct installs be configured differently from a direct install vs a download manager install. 

I last time I used AutoCAD full time I was using ACA 2004, so there are a bunch of little changes that really tripped me up because my usual rhythm was interrupted. Things like the insert dialog change to the pallet. I will always hit I to insert. I have remapped it to the classic insert dialog. I like the block pallet for standard-specific stuff like Coast Guard and school work. I have just grown to dislike AutoCAD.

Thanks for the input.

Message 18 of 23
DavidPTTLG5

I just got around to checking that variable and that is not what I am looking for. I want to be able to double click to get into a viewport when I need to. I do not want to switch to the viewport when I double click on an attributed block. This is what started when I switched to ACA 2024. I never had this happen until I switched to 2024. Maybe I need to adjust the click settings in windows. 

Message 19 of 23
DavidPTTLG5

I decided to reinstall AutoCAD and the problem went away. Go figure. This computer was set up originally by someone else. I reinstalled and imported my profile and now it is working the way it is supposed to. I still have no idea what caused this.

Message 20 of 23
DavidPTTLG5

Well, the fix was only temporary. It was working as it should after a complete reinstall. Now I have to right click and chose edit attributes instead of double clicking.  I think it was the last update that makes the change. That is the only thing I did after testing it out. Very frustrating.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta