Disababled, AutoCAD with one hand

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1316 Views, 7 Replies

Disababled, AutoCAD with one hand

Hello,
I have taken a basic AutoCAD class in high school back when it was just AutoCAD 2000 but I have barely used the program since with the exception of doing really basic electrical diagrams for personal use in my during my career as an electrical lineman. However, due to a motorcycle accident I am now disabled where I lost the use of my right arm. Currently, in an effort to use my GI Bill benefit I am searching for online colleges to enroll in. An associates in drafting stood out to me because I have always wanted to further my skills in this field. My ultimate goal is to eventually get back in the workforce using AutoCAD from home. As limited as my knowledge is with the program I can't think of any other way to use it without both hands working in harmony, operating both keyboard and mouse simultaneously. I guess my questions are how efficient would I be with just the use of my left hand, which by the way isn't even my dominant hand if that makes any difference. Is it a career that is worth pursuing in my condition? Would I be able to meet the demands of this competitive industry?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
peterm
in reply to: Anonymous

Sorry to hear about your accident.

You should be able to use AutoCAD fairly efficiently. The only typing that is essential is for number input. Everything else is available from on-screen buttons and menus.

I use the classic toolbars which makes all the main commands instantly accessible with one click, but everyone has their own preference.

Message 3 of 8
markcalloway
in reply to: peterm

I agree with @peterm you should be able to learn to use AutoCAD one handed. I would say you have a choice, do most things with mouse or most things with the keyboard, both are possible.

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find this post helpful, please LIKE.
If you have solved you issue please mark as ACCEPTED SOLUTION so other forum users can see how to fix this issue.

Follow me on Twitter / Follow me on Linkedin / Blog
Message 4 of 8
gotphish001

You could use a wacom tablet too. I would think getting a job that allows you to work from home when you are just starting out in the field is going to give you more trouble than using cad with one hand.

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 5 of 8
cadffm

Search for help programs (software) for Disababled people, the are many programs that helps in IT world.

Virtual keyboard, Autohotkey, and more.

Download Testversion and try it.

ESC for example is a long right click on mouse,
Spezial Shortcuts for two or three keys can set on a second extension keypad or to mouse keys.
And so on.

I am sure, not all works perfect for you, but it will work.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

i know many people who work the application with one hand, they have two but only use one.  Everything is available on toolbars, tool palettes, menus or ribbon.  If you're working from home you might wish to look into Dragon Naturally Speaking for audible input.  I had great success setting up my brother sister-in-law after an accident left her only gross motor function from the shoulders up.  She drives a "mouse" with her tongue on a mouthpiece from a headset rig with a vocal mic.  She has just enough motor function in her right forearm to "bump" a pad for an "enter" and speaks commands (custom shorthand).  I am impressed with how well she's done, and how quickly she became very proficient.

Message 7 of 8
skintsubby

kbaza

As @Anonymous mentions, I know a few who only use the one hand as well.

One in particular almost looks like he sits on his non used hand. Most of the time he looks like he's sleeping as well.... However he's just as productive as any of the others. 

The thing I noticed about his set-up was the amount of icons/toolbars and ribbon usage he used. Obviously once he got used to it he could fly.

Get trained up... once you get comfortable with the software I don't believe you'll have too many problems.

Mark

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Although this thread is a little old.....

Look into using Dragon Naturally Speaking or some other voice software package. A lot of people joke around about walking by and saying "Erase All" or something similar - and depending on your equipment and office environment, that could happen IF you have such a command and if you work with people who go out of their way to make life miserable.  I have experience with DNS and the later versions perform much better. Microphones have also gotten much better to where even with a fan blowing directly at me and a radio playing music nearby DNS will hear my commands as they are being whispered. You do have to remember to turn off/on the micrphone - when you talk any programmed word that has been assigned will be heard. Having an individual office or working at home is best.

You could download a trial and see if it would work for you. It works very well starting commands by voice and using a mouse for selecting points.

Take a look at this short video demonstrating a few AutoCAD commands with DNS.

https://youtu.be/uINpaksbOYw

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta