Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension Style

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
3405 Views, 8 Replies

Dimension Style

Hello, What is the ideal dimension style setting for metric say 1:100 scale. Something wrong with  my setting please

see my setting on the attachment.. thank you

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

At first you have to set scale for dimension style at Fit tab, you can set it to 100 (DIMSCALE=100), or if you want to use annotative dim style - check Annotative scale - then set scale for Model space or for Viewport on Layout to 1:100.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 9
dmfrazier

It would be extremely helpful if you could explain exactly what you mean by "something wrong with my setting".  What aspect of the dimension style is not performing the way you would like?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: dmfrazier

Hi dmfrazer, These are the settings, Fit 100- Lines and Text. My units are decimal. Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 9
steve216586

Your object is too small for that dimension scale.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 6 of 9
maxim_k

What are actual size of the object you are trying to dimension (in AutoCAD units)?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

The property is 15Metersx12Meters. It looks like the object is smaller,

Message 8 of 9
dmfrazier

@Anonymous wrote:

My units are decimal.

What does 1 unit represent in the drawing (1mm, 1m)?  This makes a difference.

In one of your dimstyle screenshots I can see that the text height is set to 0.1.  If your units are meters, and the dimscale is 100, this means that your dimension text height will be 10 meters (0.1 x 100)!  This explains why the text, ticks, etc. all appear to be so large compared to the size of the objects in the drawing.  If you plan to plot this drawing at a scale of 1:100, then the plotted text will be plenty large enough to be legible (depending on the page size, of course), but the objects you are dimensioning might not be well displayed.

Start by determining what actual, plotted size you want your text to be, in the same units as your drawing.  (Is 0.1 meter the right size text for a plotted drawing?  in my "English units" world, that would correspond to about 4" tall letters on the plotted sheet, which would be much too large for most purposes.)

Once you get the text size right, then figure out how much your final drawing would have to be scaled down to fit on the page you plan to plot it on.  You're not going to actually scale the drawing down, but you will need to know what that factor is so that you can tell the dimstyle how much to scale the dimension features up (by the inverse of your scale factor).

(The preceding comments assume you are placing your dimensions in model space, and do not intend to use an annotative dimstyle.)

Message 9 of 9
maxim_k

dmfrazier is absolutely right: it appears that 1 AutoCAD unit equals 1 meter in your drawing, so text height (and size of other dimension parts) are also in meters in dimension style dialog. Let's calculate now: if you plan to plot your drawing at 1:100 scale, than the height of text on paper will be 0.1 m, or 10 cm, or 100 mm. But in fact text size according to standards should be about 3-4 mm in height, so it should be 0.003 or 0.004 units in dimension style dialog, the same for other dimension elements.
Once again - the above setting for text scale assumes that 1 AutoCAD unit = 1 meter in your drawing.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report