11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
10851 Views, 11 Replies

Data Entry Into Table Very Slow to Update

Hello All,

Background:

I have a table in AutoCAD 2013. I got it by pasting from Excel using PASTSPEC AutoCAD Entities, then I stripped all the formatting using StripMtext v5-0b.lsp. I have table breaks manually positioned and only changed column width, row height, text size, etc.

Problem:

When I edit a cell and move to the next or click out of the table it takes 2-5 seconds to update the table. This can be very tedious when editing many cells.

I've tried turning off table breaks and doesn't seem to make a difference. I made a new table in AutoCAD larger and populated it and have table breaks on manually positioned as a test. It also takes some time to update. Is there a setting maybe to turn off that I don't need that's causing it to take a while to update?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

System details? OS?
DWG file size? Does the problem exist if your table was in a new empty blank file?
Is the table still linked to Excel?
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for the response!

I'm on a dell latitude ultrabook with win7. File size is 8 MB. The table is not linked to Excel. The rest of CAD works just fine and nothing freezes it up except the table, and only when editing it, not just drawing it. It still does it in a brand new blank file with an AutoCAD generated table not  pasted in from elsewhere. It has to do with the table breaks and having the "Reapeat top lables" set to "yes".

I've attached a brand new AutoCAD file and if you edit one of the cells and move on to another, it will take about 5 seconds to process.

Message 4 of 12
pendean

Breaking up a sinle table as you have done does force AutoCAD to work a lot harder. IMHO those probably ought to be 4 separate tables if you want zippier performance.

having said that, I edited the cell you see in your file (attached) in about 10-seconds total on my 3-year old PC running R2016 on Win7 64bit. There is nothing slow about your sample file here.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Thank you,

You are correct; after further exploration, the "vanilla" AutoCAD table worked fine this time in the example file attached previously, as you stated. I exported the table to a .csv file and then opened and pasted from Excel back into AutoCAD using PASTESPEC and selecting AutoCAD entities. This table started slowing down once I set up table breaks and really slowed down when I selected repeat top rows.

So, there must be some formatting setting or some setting in the background from the pasted AutoCAD entities that is causing the lag compared to the "vanilla" AutoCAD table. I've attached the updated version with both tables mentioned. When editing the left table it is fast, but when editing the right table with black text it is very slow.

The STRIPMTEXT didn't seem to make a difference either way on either table and was just to get rid of the black text.

If it were just a second between edits it wouln't be a big deal but 5 seconds is a long time when editing 10 or more cells one by one. There may not be a solution to this but I hope there is.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Edit:

It seems to be some sort of "CAD RAM" issue or something. When I close and reopen the file, it works just fine (even though I have other CAD files open.) I don't know why this happens but I found the solution. Thank you for your help and if you know why closing and reopening it works let me know.
Message 7 of 12
pendean

I just now got to this message: glad you found some sort of a fix.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Hello!

I also have the same problem of data entry into table very slow to update. The only way for me to solve is as you said, closing and reopening. I have a large amount of data to entry into table and so I am having to make several times for closing and reopening. So if you now have another way to solve this problem, please provide.

Thanks and best regards.

Kyaw Zin Thant.

Message 9 of 12
zak
Explorer

Found a solution for this. Just hit AU Space space. That's Audit, with NO for fixing errors, it comes back to normal immediately.

Message 10 of 12
Hogenson
in reply to: zak

You are a life saver! I imported a very large excel table and every time i needed to make a change, even to just one cell, it would take over a minute to complete the process. After running the audit command everything works perfectly again. Thanks!

Message 11 of 12
sharpl
in reply to: zak

Thank you, that one simply works! What is funny, I run audit before the final safe. After inserting the Excel linked table I have to run again :). Autodesk, pay attention!

Message 12 of 12
CalamityJane32

I personally found much better results by turning GRAPHICSCONFIG off.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report