Convert .dwg to an older version

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
105986 Views, 15 Replies

Convert .dwg to an older version

Hey everyone,

So the problem I have is that my university is not running on the most up to date software(2017) and the file I have is in the most up to date version(2018), wondering if there was a way to convert it to a earlier version without having the most up to date software, I tried using true view but it still needs the newest software. I am also no longer in contact with the person who originally created the file.

Many thanks

James

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
ennujozlagam
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous hello, you can use saveas to version you wanted it to be (see attached) or you can go command prompt and type dwgconvert to convert (see attached). thanks

saveas.jpg

convert.jpg

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: ennujozlagam

@ennujozlagam, Thanks for the reply,

the problem I have is that it cant be opened in the version I have (2017) as it has been created in the 2018 software other wise I would save it as an older version. sorry if the question was slightly ambiguous, been on a 2 day cad bender and starting to go slightly crazy!!! 

Thanks again 

Message 4 of 16
BeKirra

Don't know if you have already converted your drawing file but the following may help others:

1) Download DWG TrueView 2018 for free from this link:

https://www.autodesk.com/products/dwg/viewers#

2) Install it then open the file then you are able to convert it to older version.

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 5 of 16
ennujozlagam
in reply to: BeKirra

@Anonymous  download dwg true view and convert to lower version. << click HERE>>.

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: ennujozlagam

@ennujozlagam @BeKirra, Thank you very much guys big help!! 🙂

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

DWG TrueView doesn't have a mac based application.  How can I convert files to an older version in this manner on an app?

Thanks

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

DWG TrueView doesn't have a mac based application.  How can I convert files to an older version in this manner on an app?

Thanks

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

Hi there,

I have true view 2020 but can not see how to save after conversion?

Message 10 of 16
architectuurstudio

If you are on a Mac or don´t want to install a program, this website will do the job:

https://cloudconvert.com/dwg-converter

Cheers!

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: architectuurstudio

Thanks but not on a Mac - will figure it out. Cheers! 2
Message 12 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I have true view 2020 but can not see how to save after conversion?

May I ask: you already had converted the data (as you wrote "after conversion") ... what is missing then?

Converting the data means it is already saved in the older version.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

It looked like the CAD file sent from the architect was one I could not use
the measuring tool on or it wouldn't work in feet and inches mode. Is there
a way to turn that on- I think its the geographic setting but not sure?

When I imported another cad file into the 2021 version of TrueView it
measured OK so again it may be the version I was sent.

Thank You,
Billy
Message 14 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> It looked like the CAD file sent from the architect

>> was one I could not use the measuring tool

Well, if it's file specific it would be great to have a look to the file.

When you write that you can not use the measuring tool ... what does AutoCAD tell you when you start it? (or what exactly behaves different to the file where you can use it)

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

AutoCad does have a XREG in red that pops up

Message 16 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> AutoCad does have a XREG in red that pops up

Can you please show this message as screenshot?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta