Did you mean: 

Content Explorer

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
bakerdb
636 Views, 7 Replies

Content Explorer

I have run Content Explorer for the past few years and although it could use some improvements, I have been able to do what I want with it.

However, I just got a new computer and was told that I had to put my files it the "Documents" folder so they would be automatically backed up.  When I initially looked at this location I thought it was on my computer, but now I find that it is on a server.  The location is \\usxxxf01\home$\uslandaba\Acad Dwgs.  I cannot add this as a watched folder because it is a network location and I cannot add it as a Content Provider because the Content Service is not installed on the server.

Has there been any improvements with this problem?  Is there a way to search a network location without installing the service on the server?  Our IT will not do this?

I use to use Docupoint, but I am the only one that used it and it was too expensive to keep upgrading it and that is when I started using Contect Explorer.

...About to be bummed!!!

David

David B. Baker
CAD Supervisor

Munters Corporation - Aerotech Ventilation Systems
4215 Legion Drive - Mason, MI 48854 USA
800-227-2376 or 517-676-7070 ext 139
www.munters.com
david.baker@munters.com
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: bakerdb

Ask your IT Help desk to provide you with a letter drive for that server location: repeat for each other AutoCAD user needing to use CE.
Message 3 of 8
bakerdb
in reply to: pendean

There is a letter drive for that location it is U:\ but it is just a mapped network drive and I cannot seem to get Content Explorer to recognize it unless I am doing something wrong.  See the attached pics.

David B. Baker
CAD Supervisor

www.munters.com
david.baker@munters.com
Message 4 of 8
pendean

So you are talking about AUTODESK CONTENT EXPLORER, and not CONTENT EXPLORER then: the former watches folders and can be installed on the server without AutoCAD.

http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/AutoCAD-Core/files/GUID-22EAB337-26CC-41C0-9474-989FAE8E...
Message 5 of 8
bakerdb

I guess that would be a problem, since I don't have access to the server, let alone permissions.

Thanks for the info.

David B. Baker
CAD Supervisor

www.munters.com
david.baker@munters.com
Message 6 of 8
Victoria.Studley

Hi @bakerdb,

There really isn't any way around installing the Autodesk Content Service on the server.

In order for the Content Explorer to find results in any particular location, that location must be indexed by the Autodesk Content Service.

In order for the Autodesk Content Service to index a network folder, the Autodesk Content Service must be installed on that server.

You may want to provide the following information to your IT department, so that they understand why you need them to install the Autodesk Content Service on the server. They may be more willing/able to help you configure it once they understand why you need it.

Planning Autodesk Content Service Installations

Autodesk Content Service

Autodesk Content Service Indexing

Add or Remove a Network Watched Folder to Autodesk Content Service

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 7 of 8
bakerdb

Now another question.  I was able to move my files I was trying to index to my local hard drive and have been trying to index them but they all have Exlamation Points and if you hover over them they say Indexing Error.  Also, it must be continually trying to index the files because when I open one to work on, when I try to save the file AutoCAD says the file is being accessed by another session and is saved to a .TMP file.

I tried to let it index over night but it didn't help.  Could I be indexing too many files at once?

How do I find out what the indexing error is?

Thanks,

David B. Baker
CAD Supervisor

www.munters.com
david.baker@munters.com
Message 8 of 8
pendean

Do you (and Content Explorer) have full admin read/write/rename/delete privileges from your Server to those folders?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta