Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
581 Views, 12 Replies

Construction Lines drifiting away from initially selecting point

When attempting to create a construction line I usually follow these steps:

1. Select construction line

2. Pick point

3. F8 to toggle ortho if required

At which point the construction line has always rotated about the initial point I selected. Recently however, between step 2 and 3, my construction line does not maintain its initial centre point, it drifts away meaning I then have to use the move command to put it back on the initial point. I can't figure out why this is happening.

Anyone know why this might be happening?

Thanks in advance,

Carl

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
ВeekeeCZ
in reply to: Anonymous

Check OSNAPs... especially perpendicular.
Message 3 of 13
TheCADnoob

are you using snap to grid?

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

BeekeezCZ/ TheCADnoob,

Thanks for replying, I tried your suggestions but still no luck unfortunately.

I have noticed since posting that the problem only occurs when snapping to a point on a block so maybe it's just a case of exploding the block..

Regards

Carl

Message 5 of 13
TheCADnoob

This further confuses the issue for me.. would you be able to provide a screen capture of whats happening?

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADnoob

Ok,

See attached pdf. As an example, I have a universal beam cross section (block) and a line (shown in magenta)

Line

Fig 1 - I've clicked construction line on the toolbar, then hovered over an endpoint on the line.

Fig 2 - I've clicked the end point and moved my mouse away, notice how the construction line now freely pivots about this point (or if i turn on ortho I could restrain it in the vertical or horizontal, still about the end point selected though.)

Block

Fig 3 - Again, select construction line on the toolbar, this time hovering over a point on the block.

Fig 4 - When I click the point I was hovering over and move my mouse to place the second point of the construction line, the construction line 'detaches' itself from this point.

Regards

Carl

Message 7 of 13
ВeekeeCZ

Post this as dwg sample to see why is this block so special.
Message 8 of 13
TheCADnoob

are there any contrainghts on the drawing or block? Type in CONSTRAINTBAR

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: ВeekeeCZ

BeekeezCZ,

:

I can't upload the CAD file, keep getting the error message

'The attachment's construction lines.dwg content type (application/x-pangaeacadsolutions) does not match its file extension and has been removed.'

However, it appears to be polylines that have the problem, not blocks as I initially thought.

I use the structural CAD sections from http://www.cad-steel.co.uk and assumed they were blocks not polylines.

Cheers

Carl

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADnoob

@TheCADnoob wrote:

are there any contrainghts on the drawing or block? Type in CONSTRAINTBAR

No luck with this command either!

Message 11 of 13
ВeekeeCZ

@Anonymous wrote:

BeekeezCZ,

:

I can't upload the CAD file, keep getting the error message

'The attachment's construction lines.dwg content type (application/x-pangaeacadsolutions) does not match its file extension and has been removed.'

However, it appears to be polylines that have the problem, not blocks as I initially thought.

I use the structural CAD sections from http://www.cad-steel.co.uk and assumed they were blocks not polylines.

Cheers

Carl

ZIP it and post it. Or on some other cloud and post a link.

Message 12 of 13
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous, Please rt-click your drawing file(s) and "Send to" "Compressed Folder". You should then be able to attach the resulting ZIP file to this thread. I look forward to helping you resolve this issue.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 13 of 13
john.vellek

HI carl.blewitt,

I am checking back to see if you could attach the drawing onto your post so I can take a look.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report