Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command to Convert Text to Polylines

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
y_chang
3183 Views, 15 Replies

Command to Convert Text to Polylines

Is there really no single command to convert a line of text into polylines? I just want to create a machinable model for our CNC and feel like I'm missing something. Cant explode, won't import from PDF and every article refers to "Express Tools" which I don't have and cannot install due to the package my version of AutoCAD shipped with. Blows my mind if this is not a single command that I'm missing. 

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
user181
in reply to: y_chang

What version of autocad do you have? Is it LT version?  The command is TXTEXP

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
Patchy

Or FLATTEN, and use YES

Message 4 of 16
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: user181

@user181 wrote:

....  The command is TXTEXP

... and that is an Express Tool, which they don't have.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 16
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Patchy

@Patchy wrote:

Or FLATTEN, and use YES

You may not like the results of that for TTF fonts:
FlattenText.JPG

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 6 of 16
user181
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thanks, that's why I asked what version since it installs automatically except in LT.  

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
Kent1Cooper

@user181 wrote:

Thanks, that's why I asked what version since it installs automatically except in LT.  

I wasn't sure whether "...cannot install [Express Tools] due to the package my version of AutoCAD shipped with..." meant they were using LT or there's something else going on.

@y_chang , if you're using LT, the reason it's cheaper is because it does not have all the capabilities of full AutoCAD.  This is an example.  If you're not, can you say anything more about "the package [your] version of AutoCAD shipped with"?  Maybe there's a way to get the Express Tools into it [not that I know what that would be], or maybe there's some other AutoLisp or other tool out there somewhere that can do it.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 8 of 16
y_chang

I believe I'm using a normal/full version of AutoCAD 2020 (or 2019?) but it's basically a host to the modelling software I use (Microvellum) so it's not quite the same as a standalone version of AutoCAD. Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it's not LT as I've tried looking for commands shown in help articles for LT and never found them. 

Currently, I've found a way to export from Illustrator but it's taking a lot of effort to clean up the lines. At least I have lines in AutoCAD now so I can use them as a template to create polylines. 

The FLATTEN command does not work. 

Message 9 of 16
Patchy

Message 10 of 16
pendean
Message 11 of 16
y_chang
in reply to: pendean

The font I'm using is TT so this doesn't work. I'll do some looking and see if there are alternative fonts. 

Message 12 of 16
y_chang
in reply to: Patchy

Installed that and "TTCONV" isn't recognized as a command. 

Message 13 of 16
y_chang

Just searched for and found a similar font in DXF format and I think that's going to work. Thanks for all the suggestions. 

Message 14 of 16
rajilesh.av

Auto CAD 2025

Message 15 of 16
cadffm
in reply to: rajilesh.av

Still the same in 2025

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 16 of 16
autoid374ceb4990

Just searched for and found a similar font in DXF format and I think that's going to work. Thanks for all the suggestions. 

Could you post a link to the the DXF font or post the file here?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report