Did you mean: 

Changing 2 drawings so they match coordinates

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
mbeattieMB7F8
2741 Views, 12 Replies

Changing 2 drawings so they match coordinates

Hi,

I wondered if you could help. I have 2 drawings but when I copy and paste elements of one to another to original coordinates it pastes the wrong scale and wrong location.

When i point ID on one drawing also the coordinates are totally different. Is anyone able to help?

Cheers.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
S.Faris
in reply to: mbeattieMB7F8

The reason might be "Differences in drawing units between source and target drawings"

Refer to this : Using the Clipboard pastes objects in the wrong size in AutoCAD 

or use -DWGUNITS and make sure both the drawings are in same units(but don't scale).

SALMANUL FARIS

Message 3 of 13
mbeattieMB7F8
in reply to: S.Faris

Tried that but still can't seem to get the two to match.

Message 4 of 13
S.Faris

when you use -DWGUNITS what s the value for "Unit for length" that you get in both your drawings?

eg: 

Command: -DWGUNITS
Drawing units:
1. Inches
2. Feet
3. Millimeters
4. Centimeters
5. Decimeters
6. Meters
Unit for length <6>

SALMANUL FARIS

Message 5 of 13
rkmcswain

@mbeattieMB7F8 wrote:

When i point ID on one drawing also the coordinates are totally different. Is anyone able to help?

@mbeattieMB7F8  - so are you saying that you ID a common, known point in each drawing and you do not get the same coordinates? If so, _and_ both drawings are in WCS, then one of them must be in the wrong location. 

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Tags (2)
Message 6 of 13
mbeattieMB7F8
in reply to: rkmcswain

Yeah that is basically it. Do you know how I change the drawing I am copying from as the one I am copying into is the right coordinates.

Message 7 of 13
rkmcswain

@mbeattieMB7F8 - do you have two or three, known, common points in each drawing? If so, you could insert (or Xref) one into the other, and use the ALIGN command to align those points. After that, explode (or in the case of Xref, bind and explode), and get rid of the data you don't need from the other drawing.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 8 of 13
pendean

Post your two DWG files, lets all have a look for ourselves.

Message 9 of 13
mbeattieMB7F8
in reply to: pendean

Great thanks. Attached drawings. I need the Gas and Water drawings in the same scale/coordinates as the blank current site DWG drawing.

Message 10 of 13

Command "-DWGUNITS" -> Enter -> Enter... till Scale objects from other drawings upon insert? -> No.

Message 11 of 13
s.borello

You can use control shift c to copy to clipboard with a base point... then paste to the same base point in your other drawing, this way the coordinates won't matter.  If you really need them to be the same coordinates, why not xref drawing 1 into drawing 2 and align them that way. 

Message 12 of 13
aecivil1
in reply to: s.borello

What if we don't have a common point in the two layouts. we only have northing and easting in both the drawings taken from same reference points.

Message 13 of 13
Pointdump
in reply to: aecivil1

Hi Deepak,
Welcome to the Autodesk Forums.
It would be best to start a new thread with your question. And please post screen shots, or better yet, post both drawings.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report