Blurry texts when using DWG file that were converted from PDF

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
4601 Views, 8 Replies

Blurry texts when using DWG file that were converted from PDF

Hello Everyone,

I am facing a problem that may have a simple solution that I am not aware off.

I am entrusted to create as built drawings from the original construction drawings provided to me in a pdf format.

Using Auto Cad LT software, I have two options:

1. Import the construction drawing as a pdf.

2. Do a PDF to DWG conversion and use that instead.

As these drawings are extremely detailed, and with few changes to make, I prefer option 2, that way I won't have to trace the entire drawing which would be inefficient, time consuming and more prone to error (missing out subtle details).

The problem however, is that upon conversion to DWG, the texts in the drawings gets altered and are no longer sharp and crisp (see attached image). This also seems to be the case with lines in the drawing that now appear broken (which is an easy fix to be honest). The problem remains when I convert the modified DWG back to PDF.

To make a long story short, I would prefer to work with a DWG file, and would be very grateful if anyone out there could provide me a solution to this query.

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rendermaster
in reply to: Anonymous

To my understanding, there are 2 types of pdfconversion resides in autocad..
1 - plot then adobe pdf
2 - plot then dwg to pdf

The first one is just an ordinary pdf conversion while the second one retains its layering.

Going back to your problem, we dont know how they converted drawing to pdf. We dont konw if it was optimized or not. If it was optimized then theres a posibility that all those lines will be pixelated a bit.

Since you already shown up to us the pdf converted dwg and it wasnt nice....try pdf to illustrator then export it as dwg. The let us know if it works so we, if not we will find another alternative.

Ronel Katigbak Pabico

3D Generalist / Animator / Renderer/ Graphics Designer

Autodesk Student Ambassador Platinum
YouTube Channel l Linked l Facebook l Blogs

Message 3 of 9
jggerth

The problem is that the 'text' in the PDF only looks like text -- it's actually nothing but vectors in the PDF, so converting to DWG will never give you 'real' text entities from that.

Retype all the words if you really need them, and use a TrueType font so the problem doesn't happen again.

Message 4 of 9
pendean

Show us your source PDF file please: we can help tell you if it's the source of the problems or not.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: rendermaster

@rendermaster Thank you for your feedback. What I have been doing is using a PDF to DWG converter software to:

1. Create the DWG file

2. Make modification on Auto CAD LT

3. Save/Export as a PDF file.

I was looking into Auto CAD Raster Design (RD) has features that sharpens texts, lines and removes dust speckle from such converted DWG files, however Auto CAD RD is not compatible with LT. I was wondering if there are similar softwares available that can perform these tasks? I could do what @jggerth suggested and just re-write the texts in the DWG file.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Message 6 of 9
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Can you attach your original PDF file? Update 1 in AutoCAD 2017 allows conversion of some SHX files to text upon the PDF import. I am curious to see what it might do with your file.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

@john.vellek@pendean

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately the company policy won't allow me share the construction drawing pdf file on the web, which is why I resorted to show a partial screenshot of the converted DWG file, highlighting the issue with the jagged lines.

Also the software I am working with is Auto CAD LT 2017 and not Auto CAD itself. The subscription came with free download of Auto CAD Raster Design that deals with issues I am experiencing (when files get converted from raster/pdf to vector/dwg), but unfortunately RD is not compatible with LT.

If you are aware of a software similar to RD that is can work with LT, then please let me know.

Again, gentlemen, greatly appreciate your feedback.

Message 8 of 9
pendean

LT2017 with the 2017.1 update does the same thing as full AutoCAD. You get that from your subscription updates webpage, no where else.

If you can't post the PDF then all we can tell you is the PDF is probably the problem and AutoCAD just cannot fix it. You'll have to type it all back up for now.

If you need RD you need to upgrade: otherwise there is nothing like it for LT. All part of the cost savings you and your company are enjoying by sticking with LT.

You might try testing then buying third party RASTER2VECTOR software: some out there may be able to do what you want. Have a credit card ready and use the term RASTER TO VECTOR SOFTWARE in your Google Search Box.
Message 9 of 9
john.vellek

Hi Mir,

I looked at the PDF you sent me. It is entirely raster based data.

If I understand your workflow correctly, you:

• Start with a PDF similar to the one you sent me
  • Convert it to a DWG using some third-party software
  • You edit it in AutoCAD LT
  • You plot to PDF to share

Unfortunately, since the original PDF file is all raster then there is not much AutoCAD 2017 or LT can do with the data. IT will let you attach the PDF but not import it unless you do so as raster data.

Your file doesn't have too much text so you could edit it first in other software to remove the text and then in AutoCAD recreate it.

Or, you can find another conversion application that has OCR capability and replaces the raster text with TTF text.

I hope this helps.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta