Black / blank Tab

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
Anonymous
8097 Views, 30 Replies

Black / blank Tab

Hello,

I have a new install of autocad 2015 on a fairly new tashiba laptop. Windows 7, 64 bit. The program installed and seems to run correctly for the most part. I have two known problems:

On startup the program should go to a "new tab" that suppose to show "recent documents" and the "get started" area. But the tab is totally black. I can move my cursor around and it will give the the "hand" showing it's on a link, but there's no link visually showing, Only a blank screen.

And the other similar problem is when I installed the offline help, it has the same problem. When I start help, the window comes up, but it's totally blank or black.

I can start a new drawing or open an old drawing from the menu bar and AutoCad seems to do OK.

Any suggestions on how to solve the mystery?

Thank you for your help and time.

Aj

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I've been using AutoCAD 2015 fairly heavy over the last couple of days and it shows no signs of any other problems. At least non of the many that I've read about in this forum. It's hard to believe I'm the only one that has encountered this one.

Thanks, Aj

Message 3 of 31
pendean

Change STARTUP variable to something else like 2 and see if that changes.
Message 4 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I've had a short vacation, but now I'm back at CAD and reset the number to 2 and even to zero... It had no effect on the tab screen being black / blank. The programs seems to work flawless so I've been working around the tab screen and just using it the old way as in previous CAD versions.

Message 5 of 31
Anonymous

I have the same problem.

Message 6 of 31
Anonymous

design feed is black too, but I can see that it is working
Message 7 of 31
doni49

Can you give us a screenshot?  I'm not sure what you mean by "Tab Screen".

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: doni49

When mouse is on these windows I can see that it is working.

Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: doni49

where can be a problem? net. framework? ms visual c++ ?

Message 10 of 31
Anonymous

It's the window that come up just after the program opens up. It should show previews of recent drawings and show options for opening a new drawing. Instead I have to go up to the menu bar and go to file-open as older versions of autocad. Thanks for the reply. Everything else works and looks as it should, except for the opening screen or tab window. Thanks for the reply.

Message 11 of 31
Anonymous

I'm running windows 7, 64 bit home version. It's all up to date and so is my cad program.... Just one of those little bugs that get under the skin.......
Message 12 of 31
Anonymous

I have same problem. Anybody has a solution?

Message 13 of 31
jggerth

is the video card being used on the autodesk supported list?

Message 14 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: jggerth

the video card is AMD Radeon HD8790M

Message 15 of 31
zalant

I realize that this thread is a bit old, but I'd like for anyone who has this issue to try something.

First, are you on a laptop which has both an AMD graphics card, with an Intel card, as well? Often, these are found together and a software program controls the switching between the two.

1. Close AutoCAD.
  2. Launch the AMD Catalyst Control Center.
  3. Expand the Power section.
  4. Click Switchable Graphics Global Settings.
  5. For whichever proflle you're in (or both Battery and Plugged In), change the setting to something other than 'Maximize Performance'. (EDIT:  In a recent customer case, they reported back that only the option of 'Force Power Saving Graphics' worked to get rid of the black screens in AutoCAD.)
  6. Click Apply.
  7. Run AutoCAD and see if the Help, Feed, and Start tab are no longer black.

Please report back here with your results, so that other users can know how things turned out.

Also, see this forum thread for more information about specific driver versions which have been found to resolve this issue.

Zac Travis
Message 16 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: zalant

That worked!

Thanks for the help!

Message 17 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: zalant

Only reinstalling Windows and Autocad helped me In my case.

Message 18 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I am facing a little problem. Whenever i start my AutoCad 2016, the start tab appears but without any links or anything (which used to be there until a few days ago). I am being unable to trace the problem. I have not changed any options or settings as far as i remember. I would very much like the start tab to show all the useful stuff it used to show before. I have attached a screenshot of AutoCad. Please help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. 

Tags (1)
Message 19 of 31
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I am facing a little problem

And have you tried the solution that was presented here (post 15 in this thread from Zac Travis)?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 20 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Sir, 

I do not have any graphic cards in the system and hence do not have AMD CATALYST CONTROL CENTRE. But i assure you that AutoCad works just fine and the start tab used to work well before as well. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta