Did you mean: 

Bigger Autocad File size

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
chakra48
820 Views, 4 Replies

Bigger Autocad File size

I got one Autocad File size of 234MB from one person. When i try to open the system hangup. I suspected, the person does not want to give the file and the manager asked him to give Autocad File.  I suspect, he made it purposely something when he give the Autocad dwg file. Is there any provision to make a Autocad file such a big size and other people not  to open the file?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jayhar
in reply to: chakra48

Hi,

COPY and PASTE

If you have installed Service Pack 1 for AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT 2014, try the following procedure if previous methods fail:

1. Open the DWG file.

2. With the LAYER command, assure that all layers are on, thawed, and unlocked.

3. Copy all objects in the drawing to the clipboard (CTRL+A then CTRL+C).

4. Open a new file and paste all copied objects (CTRL+V).

5. Save the file.

More Visit here

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCA...

Please Mark the Post or Posts as Solution(s) to help others find the answer quickly. If your issue persists,

Please give me a bit more detail on this issue so we can continue to work towards getting this solved.

AutoCAD Certified Professional

Thanks You
Jayhar.M.J

Helpful Links: Prepare your computer for download |  Autodesk Virtual Agent | Clean Uninstall | Steps for Setting-Up Student Software

Please Subscribe YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCclj8v9vHQiFa8_DriuAk3w

Please Mark the Post or Posts as Solution(s) to help others find the answer quickly.
Message 3 of 5
TheCADnoob

I've never encountered intentional file bloat just to stop another user. 

Large files are just taxing on computers. 

Its more likely the case that there is something wrong with the file, or the design/er is not taking advantage things like xrefs. 

[oops, double posted article that @jayhar posted]

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCA...

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: TheCADnoob

It's also possible they don't realize the file size is causing a problem.  In some cases users start adding RAM and other improvements whenever they have a problem rather than trying to create nicely organized, clean, and lean files.  The end result is files that are so massive and bloated recipients can't do anything with them.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

well, it can depend on your memory contrary to the memory the creator of that drawing has built in.

It could also be the case that this file was not created with AutoCAD, maybe it's an export of any 3D-modelling systems and not really used to work with that drawing, just an export for documentation/to plot or so.

>> Is there any provision to make a Autocad file such a big size

>> and other people not  to open the file?

Maybe there were well structured blocks in the dwg-file, but were exploded to "unstructure" the dwg-file to make it more complex or impossible to continue with the file.

But in that case I would know methods quite easier that creates a dwg-file with just a few KB and systems with e.g. 16GB can't open them.

If you want to share the dwg-file we can try to open it on our systems.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report