Did you mean: 

Best tools for creating nice renderings for presentation

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
KevinMacDonald
430 Views, 5 Replies

Best tools for creating nice renderings for presentation

I have the Autocad 2013 Product Design Suite. 

I tend to use the 3D modeling features of Autocad 2013 Mechanical for everything. I have been able to produce reasonably nice renderings of my models by applying materials and lighting. But, I feel that my results are a bit limited in quality, and within the Suite I see SO MANY different tools that all pertain to visual presentation: Showcase, Mudbox, 3ds Max, SketchBook. I don't know where to start!

Ideally, I would like to pick a tool that will work with an existing 3D model, and allows a visually impaired metal head like me to do wonderful things to it to quickly create beautiful 3D presentations. They don't have to be animated. Stills are fine. 

Suggestions are most welcome! Thanks.

Inventor 2013
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi,

from your Suite these 2 products have the highest render capabilities: 3DS-Max and Showcase.

As Showcase is not updated/developed any more I would not spend learning time with that (dead) product. So my choice would be definitely 3DS-Max.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 6
leeminardi
in reply to: KevinMacDonald

You mention that you have created "reasonably nice renderings" but they are "limited in quality".  What do you feel is missing from the quality of the renderings? Are you rendering mechanical products and not buildings or outdoor scenes?  There may be more that you can do with the AutoCAD rendering features.  For example, are you familiar with bump and opacity maps? Are you looking to add more realistic backgrounds?  Do you have a need for a camera match capability?  How complex are your lighting requirements?

Inventor also has good rendering tools too but lacks features for providing much control over the background.

3ds Max is very powerful but has a very steep learning curve.  Fortunately, you would not need to know much about modeling in Max as you could import your models from AutoCAD or Inventor.  Adding materials, lighting and setting up an appropriate background could be very challenging depending on your expectations.

lee.minardi
Message 4 of 6

Does 3DS-Max work with existing Autocad 3D models?
Inventor 2013
Message 5 of 6
leeminardi
in reply to: KevinMacDonald

Yes, you can import .dwg, .dxf, .igs, .stl and other file formats from AutoCAD as well as .ipt and .iam files from Inventor into 3ds Max.

Do you have a sample of the type of rendering you are now creating and what you would like to be able to do?

lee.minardi
Message 6 of 6

Hi,

>> Does 3DS-Max work with existing Autocad 3D models?

Not just imported, but also referenced (linked), so you can stay at the DWG-Format with your geometry and just do the material/light/animation settings in 3DS-Max.

That gives you the option to edit the geometry in AutoCAD also after you have assigned materials/... to the scene.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta