Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Baseline Arc dimension problem

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1241 Views, 6 Replies

Baseline Arc dimension problem

Hi, I want to change how autocad alters arc dimensions. As the arc gets shorter the profile of the dimension set changes to an oblique setting. I do a lot of running dimensions around cylinders and this is one of my pet hates with autocad. Image attached to explain this. Is there a variable that can be adjusted to solve this problem? Or how do I go about writing a new script to display squarely?

baseline arc.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

HI @Anonymous,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

If I understand your question correctly, it is actually the tick mark that doesn't look correct to you.  In your Dimstyle, have you explored all the other "arrows" and "ticks" available? I suggest that perhaps a small dot would work the best and set the size so it is just noticable and not so large as to collide in tighter angles.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi John,

It is not the tick marks etc that are my problem, it is how the end lines are no longer square to the circle that creates the problem.

If I have ten or so measurements within the first 90 degrees of the circle, each of those dimension end lines is at a different angle to the circle making for a very messy drawing.

Best regards,

Tony Wood.

Message 4 of 7
beyoungjr

Think I might know what your after. Attach a dwg so I can try something against your setup.

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 5 of 7
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Are you referring to the extension lines? They can be set to 0 length or suppressed entirely.

Capture.PNG

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi John,

It is not a case of suppressing the extension lines, it is a case of getting them to appear square to the circle.

In some instances I might have 25 to 30 dimensions within the first 90 degrees.

With the arc dimensions I instantly get the correct dimension which is preferable.

The alternative is to use angular dimensions which give square to the circle extension lines but I must calculate every angular result to give a true linear dimension.

I use a baseline dimension so all measurements are from one location around the circle to avoid errors in marking out.

Drawing attached to show.

I think Autodesk should make this a selectable parameter within the dimension variables.

Regards,

Tony Wood.

Message 7 of 7
john.vellek

Hi Tony,

I now understand what you are asking. I apologize for my slow grasp of the issue.

Yes, dimensioning the angle will yield extension lines that are perpendicular to the tangent from the endpoints. It will not report the arc length for which I believe you desire.

I suggest that you post this in the customization forum as someone there might already have a routine that does this. In the mean time, you could create an Action Macro that places an arc on top of the circle from the points you designate and then insert a field to capture the arc length.

Capture.PNG

It is a great idea that might improve the product.

You are welcome to contact the product team directly through the Product Feedback page. The links below go into more detail about the best ways to make suggestions.
How to provide feedback on Autodesk products
Raising enhancement requests for Autodesk products

Another great option is to participate in the AutoCAD Customer Council. This is an opportunity for our customers to partner with the AutoCAD development team to improve future releases of AutoCAD by giving continuous feedback on ideas, designs, and early builds.
In order to get involved email autocad.beta@autodesk.com or autocad.lt.council@autodesk.com

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta