Did you mean: 

avoyd the creation of dwl and dwl2 file

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
3988 Views, 9 Replies

avoyd the creation of dwl and dwl2 file

hi, is it possible to avoyd the generation of dwl and dwl2 file, something similar to the variable for .bak files?

Thank you

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

HI @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

I don't believe there is any way to not create these XML files. What problem are they causing for you?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 10
beyoungjr

Hi, These files are cache data while a drawing file is open, like a Microsoft Word file creating a tilde "~" cache file in it's folder when open.

These typically go away once you close the drawing or AutoCAD but sometimes they hang around if a crash or lockup happens.  I've seen a USB drive hold them when students pull the drive before closing ACAD.

I think they are not visible when your Windows Folder Options are set to not show hidden operating system files.

Cheers,

Blaine

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 4 of 10
cadffm

I think if Autocad stops loading the whohas.arx this dwl will not be created.
but why? why does this bother?
I always try to keep such standards, even if I do not use this feature (command whohas).

if your problem is that they are not deleted automatically, then something is wrong with the installation or probably with the right one.
dwl should always be removed after properly closing the dwg by the program.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
jayhar

You can hide, on your system. see the attachments

Uncheck in View > Hidden items

Please Mark the Post or Posts as Solution(s) to help others find the answer quickly. If your issue persists,

Please give me a bit more detail on this issue so we can continue to work towards getting this solved.

Thanks You
Jayhar.M.J

Helpful Links: Prepare your computer for download |  Autodesk Virtual Agent | Clean Uninstall | Steps for Setting-Up Student Software

Please Subscribe YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCclj8v9vHQiFa8_DriuAk3w

Please Mark the Post or Posts as Solution(s) to help others find the answer quickly.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi John,

we think they may be the cause of a problem we have using Autocad files integrated in our plm (Teamcenter Siemens plm): we can open the files but not save them. Maybe not, but we are investigating every possible cause trying to solve the problem.

Thank you, and if you have similar issues please let me know.

Laura

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: cadffm

Thankyou,

please can you tell me how to stop loading the whohas.arx? As I wrote to John we am trying to solve a problem related to the use of Autocad integrated with plm software

Message 8 of 10
cadffm

1. I don't think the dwl file is a problem (not for AutoCAD).

Create a dwl file by yourself and test your issue again? Or better create the test.dwl, open your test.dwg,

(acad do not create a dwl file) delete the test.dwl, save the test.dwg. Is your problem gone? I will surprised.

2. As for my supposition to the whohas.arx, so you have apparently not engaged at all,

otherwise you would have probably seen that there are no more whohas.arx file in today's versions, right?
   So this is not possible at all (in the past, there was a whohas.arx).

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
rkmcswain
in reply to: cadffm

CADffm wrote:
Or better create the test.dwl, open your test.dwg,

(acad do not create a dwl file) delete the test.dwl, save the test.dwg. Is your problem gone? I will surprised.

If you manually create a [drawing name].dwl and/or .dwl2 file, and then open [drawing name], the .dwl and/or .dwl2 files will be overwritten by AutoCAD, and locked as normal. You will not be able to delete them.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 10 of 10
cadffm
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks for the feedback,

I forgot to write: Create a DWL and set the write protection.
The small detail is really important.

Thanks to @rkmcswain a second time. No idea why, apparently I had made a mistake in the test.
After your answer, I wanted to do it again now and failed according to your answer.
I had it tested specially before writing my answer, very annoying. Maybe I was framed on a cloud drive. Kudos4u

(I still think that dwl does not deal with the problem)

Sebastian

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report