Did you mean: 

AutoCAD - Smoothing face along a curved surface

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Zcdncan
322 Views, 5 Replies

AutoCAD - Smoothing face along a curved surface

I'm looking for a solution to align the edges of my support with the curved surface of the object cradling it. As you can see in the image the edge continues past because I used the fillet tool after creating the objects.

I thought about creating a temporary object to use the subtract tool however while that would be easy it's a lot of steps for such a simple task. Or maybe trying to fillet the edge at such a small angle that it seems lined up - this is obviously not going to be an accurate method.

is there some kind of align tool I can use that will not drag the whole object but only the edges? 

Thanks for your help I'm pretty new so I've been doing everything longhand so far.

CHAIR LEG.png

[ The subject line of this post has been edited to include the product name by @handjonathan ]

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
leeminardi
in reply to: Zcdncan

It's not quite clear what you want to do and what are your working constraints. 

1. Do you want to move the brown objects (supports?) such that the end surface of the yellow object is flush with the brown object? 
  2. Do you want to modify the end of the yellow objects so that they have the same shape as the brown objects where they come in contact?

The align3d command coupled with the three Boolean commands can be helpful in tasks like this.  Keep in mind that substract and intersect will consume some of the solid objects you might use.

lee.minardi
Message 3 of 6
Zcdncan
in reply to: leeminardi

Hi thanks for the reply,

Sorry I should have been more clear, yes I'd like to modify the end of the lighter piece to match the curve of the brown face. It's that little side profile of the lighter part I'm looking to get rid of.
Message 4 of 6
leeminardi

One way to do the is to make a copy of brown and yellow (copy Enter 0,0,0 Enter).  Move these copies a known distance away so that you do not confuse them  with the originals.

leeminardi_0-1666728698977.png

Do a Boolean intersect of brown and yellow (the result may be brown and yellow but you can change it to all yellow).

leeminardi_1-1666728864339.png

Use slice to slice and remove one end of the original yellow starting somewhere within brown.

leeminardi_2-1666729109997.png

Move the result of the intersect Boolean back by the original offset distance of the copy.

leeminardi_3-1666729219524.png

Union the two yellow pieces together.

leeminardi_4-1666729292424.png

leeminardi_5-1666729350978.png

lee.minardi
Message 5 of 6
Zcdncan
in reply to: leeminardi

Hi,

Thanks again for the reply I looked into your solution but I don't think it will add the curvature I need however it gave me another idea on how to get where I need to be.

As is, the center of the yellow diamond shape is flush however I'd like to be able to almost "bend" the corners to follow the face of the brown piece. I've marked it with green what I want to do and red how it currently is to hopefully show what I mean.

Worst case I can do one of the long form solutions I mentioned earlier.

Screenshot 2022-10-26 141009.png

Message 6 of 6
Zcdncan

I ended up just going long form by creating an object on around my original object.

Screenshot 2022-10-26 145437.png

and then using the subtract tool to remove the protrusion.

solution.png

I have to imagine this is not the quickest solution however it took me to my end goal.

Thanks for your replies!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report