Autocad's high pricing debate.

109 REPLIES 109
SOLVED
Message 1 of 110
cupax
22629 Views, 109 Replies

Autocad's high pricing debate.

Hello.

I would like to open a debate about Autocad or all other Autodesk's pricing politics.

Of course I'm aware that they are a private firm and the market decides the final price, but being a (non official) industry standard it is hard to avoid their software if you want to be taken seriously.

Personally I think their software is way way too expensive. While a huge architectural or engineering firms can afford this because of well paid big projects, small firms are completely lost. No matter what size of projects you need, you still use 95% of the software functionality.

We are a micro firm of 3 architects and in Europe a full Autocad costs 5250 Euros - that is 5668 USD. A price we can't afford so we are forced to use "fake Autocad" - Brycscad, but its functionality is way behind the original and Autocad LT would not satisfy our needs for 3D modelling. I know many others who decided to go with pirated software for the same reason.

I also think that software developement doesn't need to be as fast as it is now. Us, and probbaly 95% of other users would still be perfectly happy with the functionality of Autocad 2010. I would much more like Autocad to be way cheaper and would easily agree for updates over 3 or even 5 years.

Personally I would find it acceptable to pay not more than 1000 USD for a full Autocad program, and maybe a 100-200 Usd for the subscription.

What are your thoughts?

Dave

109 REPLIES 109
Message 41 of 110
pendean
in reply to: cupax

Let Autodesk know what you think, posting around here is pointless, like standing on a street corner and shouting in the air

Do it now, here http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
Message 42 of 110
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
Let Autodesk know what you think, posting around here is pointless, like standing on a street corner and shouting in the air

oldman.jpg

Sorry...couldn't help myself....

Message 43 of 110
dgorsman
in reply to: jggerth

Then thats the cost of doing business, and needs to be reflected in whats being charged.  Budgeting 101 - know what your costs are and make sure they are covered.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 44 of 110
Anonymous

Im a 8th grader and I'm very lucky to be in a school with autodesk on every single computer. This reply is not really about autocad, but it's the same. In school, 30 computers were with autodesk inventor 2015, and we have STEM class on design and modeling, for my opinion, autodesk is a really great app, you get to design whatever things you want. Say the truth, i actually want to use that app forever, we can design all the things, like a train, hydraulic arm, or you can even design your own iPhone 8. But the thing is, when i was really into this app, and want to install one on my mac, i realized the first problem, its not on mac, so i guess i will download it on a windows computer, here's the last problem. The price, and which is what this debate is about. The price is toooooo high for a student try to design stuff, i mean, i get it, many large company even use autodesk, but the thing is aren't there any way that can separate people like we from all these business men? I mean, maybe just because this app, it can make thousand millions dollars to your company, but i guess i don't really need it this way, so why don't they make a autodesk app for people for are not actually taking this really serious? I can use other cheaper apps, but this one is the best, of course, but I'm just not really going to spend thousand dollars per year to do design. So I'm thinking it is OVER PRICING, at least for me.

Message 45 of 110
RobDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

But the thing is, when i was really into this app, and want to install one on my mac, i realized the first problem, its not on mac, so i guess i will download it on a windows computer, here's the last problem. The price, and which is what this debate is about. The price is toooooo high for a student 

There is a version for Mac. Also, as a student, you get it for free!

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 46 of 110
Anonymous

As Rob points out, if you're a student, it's free.  But when you become a designer, designing components for profit, you need to have the tools at hand to meet the needs of your clients, those tools can be expensive, and the cost of those tools needs to be included in your pricing structure.

Message 47 of 110
gotphish001

Take a cheap college class every couple years and just use student versions. Problem solved.

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 48 of 110
rkmcswain
in reply to: gotphish001

gotphish001 wrote:

Take a cheap college class every couple years and just use student versions. Problem solved.

I'd read the EULA carefully, specifically Exhibit A, number 10

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 49 of 110
gotphish001
in reply to: rkmcswain

I was mostly joking. I only brought it up because he brought up pirated software many times in this thread. 

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 50 of 110
Anonymous
in reply to: gotphish001

No doubt attempting to excuse theft by blaming the vendor.

Message 51 of 110
Anonymous

AutoCAD is ridiculously expensive for what you receive. It is just a drafting tool. Previously we had a yearly subscription for updates, 5 years x 5 seats x $ 1,200.00 CDN = $ 6,000 x 5 = $ 30,000. What did we get ? Features where AutoCAD incorporated our own ideas, Lisp routines we developed 5 years previous. We ended up canceling Subscription and remain on 2013 for as long as it will survive trying to recoup our $ 30,000. For a small firm this is not survivable.

Monthly / annual makes this downright not doable because Architect’s do not have the net profit to support it as manufacturing companies etc. do. We are not subsidized by the Government when things get tough.

So, we will be forced to look at other options and keep 1 version of AutoCAD.

Unfortunately monthly subscriptions on all software will affect a lot of businesses to the point they cannot survive.

For this reason we are willing to look at other less expensive software.....but once we convert over, it will be difficult to get us back to AutoCAD.

If anyone has any suggestions on similar CAD software, would love to hear about it.

Ed vdM
Message 52 of 110
Anonymous

That is easier said than done. The market can’t bear it for small businesses.
Message 53 of 110
rkmcswain

edvFM2TM wrote:
AutoCAD is ridiculously expensive for what you receive. It is just a drafting tool. Previously we had a yearly subscription for updates, 5 years x 5 seats x $ 1,200.00 CDN = $ 6,000 x 5 = $ 30,000. What did we get ?

You might be interested in posting in this forum also.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 54 of 110
Anonymous

Thanks
Message 55 of 110
Anonymous

Not gonna lie, I am heated about this as I type this.  I have been attempting to use what are pretty decent 2D and 3D design skills in Adobe and Blender, and as of last night my 30 day trial with AutoCAD 2019 ended before I could truly finish my design.  

What really frustrates me, is how many hours I spent over the last 30 days struggling with the interface to design objects that would have taken me minutes in Adobe or Blender, that frankly, I would have thought to be MUCH easier given the ridiculous price tag for this software, lol!  

All of the folks I read replies from in this thread (including the OP) are "CAD designers" working for a firm or some type (small or large) that can "bill" for the time and offset the cost of the software. 

What about us DIYers that are trying to learn/use the application-as ANY student would-but are not actual "students" of any "scholastic institution"?  I was angered when I saw the cost for a student version of AutoCAD, as well as other applications like Solidworks in comparison to the cost for a standard license. It's like Wow, lol? 

Who other than a design "firm" would want to pay the equivalent of a car payment, year over year buying the same application-on a per-seat basis??  That's crazy for an individual to consider.  All software in the past has been bought outright, and could be used for the LIFE of the machine it was installed on (i.e., I am a long time audio producer and still work with my purchase of Cubase 5 [circa 2005?] that I bought outright or whatever you want to call "owning" a copy of the software, and still runs flawlessly on a dedicated XP machine in my graphics/music studio). 

Frankly, I think this subscription based pseudo "ownership" is a bunch of b.s. to ensure a steady stream of income rather than sporadic income from the occasional "software updater" who finally wants to upgrade to the latest version. 

Which, as a long time Adobe graphic designer, knowing that it's nowhere near as expensive as this, begs the question-why is the CAD dev community/industry monopolized so heavily?? 

Personally, I think these companies like Autodesk and Solidworks, etc., are missing the big picture-if the software is more accessible (aka affordable), more will learn and use it, and giving them 100x customer base.  With the advent of 3D printers that anyone can take home and begin to experiment with, being able to design your own materials IS the future, and seems counter-intuitive for pricing of CAD software to still be so inaccessible to the masses. 

A post in this thread earlier said something to the effect; "with minimal software updates really "needed" at this point (generically speaking) and a drastically lowered cost of distribution with the evolution of cloud based "subscription only" services (zero packaging, cd dupe costs, or delivery costs outside of data transfer), you would think the prices of this software would have come down considerably."  

I agree fully with the above and am disappointed at the gouging that's going on with this community.  I get that you full time devs don't see it that way because it's your "business" and can write off the expense as cost of doing business, but it doesn't add up for someone who wants to play with 3D modeling and design with the industry standard tool. 

At the end of the day, I am just going to have to decide how bad I really want to learn this application, because I could go get something tangible like a cheap car or a motorcycle with a $200 month payment. 😕

Message 56 of 110
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

just a short answer/suggestion to this statements:

>> What about us DIYers

>> With the advent of 3D printers that anyone can take home and begin to experiment with

For that group of people Autodesk has the product >>>Fusion 360<<<, which is

• the much better product for 3D construction
  • is free for DIY (>>>click<<<)

It's just a question of the correct product for that group of users 😉

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 57 of 110
Anonymous
in reply to: wundrlik

I'm not sure whether or not the yearly price of current licensing is too much or real fair. I don't like leasing things, I like to buy them. I have tools I've used for years and they will work well for some time. 

If I'd bought AutoCAD for, say $5,000 CAD, eight years ago, the same time I bought my current computer, (now running Windows 7, 64 bit), I would still be able to use it today. That's a little over $600 per year. And I could keep going with it, as long as I can buy parts for my computer. So possibly 10 years for $5,000.

The thing is, I don't have that option. I need to come up with a lot of money every year. It is never owned. 

I've somewhat stepped out of the hard physical framing trade, and in the process of starting at doing blueprints. I cannot buy an older version, for say, two or three thousand dollars, pay AutoCAD a couple hundred dollars to let me use it again, and if business booms, splurge on the late versions.

That's tough to swallow. 

Message 58 of 110
jggerth

Remember that there are options/alternatives these days.  AutoCAD is not the only player in the game, nor are we locked into a binary choice of Microstation or AutoCAD (which have compatibility issues still.... 😞

There's Acad LT, still a rental, but lower priced.  Then the DWG compatible work-alikes, from the intellicads, to BricsCAD and Ares Commander.  Going further afield, and getting less interoperabilty with DWG based programs, there are even more choices.  Price points for license owner ship range from free to considerably higher, but still less than comparable autodesk offerings.

Vote with your wallet, and if enough people rebel, the rental-only fiasco may eventually go away.

Message 59 of 110
RobDraw

I think the "rental fiasco" is very beneficial to freelancers who may only need a limited number of licenses. Not so much so for larger companies who need many licenses active all the time.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 60 of 110
azeembaig94
in reply to: JDMather

Alright, i dont know how to tag autodesk in this discussion , but really we must be very much truthful to our selves. Why is autodesk paying a blind eye on the biggest chunk of its user i.e the third world countries and private engineers and professional. 

Lets take it one by one, Autodesk must understand that the pay scale is not the same worldwide as if it is in USA or Europe, what i mean by that is i know people/engineers who are making construction plans for merely 10 -30 $(or are making 1000$ per year)  , for them this amount is fine in there currency  but the guy who is using fake licensing/trial methodologies .

The problem deepens when you understand that the people who are struggling in there careers are left no options by autodesk but to pirate/cheat.  why not autocad would be priced at say 100-200 $ per year or 20 $ /month .

I am a hundred percent sure that the revenues of what autodesk is generating will be 10-20 times more. Just try please, as people are guilty conscious and cannot help in this case . At least for a month or two !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta