Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD - How to turn off file tab hover preview?

42 REPLIES 42
SOLVED
Message 1 of 43
Anonymous
80561 Views, 42 Replies

AutoCAD - How to turn off file tab hover preview?

Hello, I don't know what it's called. But every now and then I'll slowly move my mouse up to the ribbon thinking of where the next tool I need. And when my mouse hovers over the file tab, it'll show a preview of that file's layouts & model space. When I go back to my model space, now it switches me into that files layout and freezes everything up b/c it loaded into that space up. And now I have to work my way back to my model space and remember what I was working on. It happens quite freaquntly and very annoying.

Please is there a way to turn off this horrible feature? When I have a lot of files open with 3D objects and views, this really stalls things up a lot.

[ The subject line of this post has been edited to include the product name by @handjonathan ]

42 REPLIES 42
Message 21 of 43
smonetus
in reply to: RobDraw

True, we are not all in the same little box.
Some like the "Feature" and some do not, but if you are not going to answer the OP's question why even bother posting to the thread?

It ties back to the Bug eating post, just because you enjoy the crunch does not mean that the rest of us should just learn to enjoy the crunch.

Personally I dislike the "Feature", of course I am using AutoCAD Electrical and the accidental Layout Views are annoying at the least.  Thankfully I can now disable them.

Message 22 of 43
RobDraw

If someone posts their opinion about the usefulness of a tool, why can't I post an opposing view?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 23 of 43
smonetus

Don't take offense Rob, but just your opinion about the "Feature" is not helpful to those searching for a solution.

Now had you posted your opinion that you find the "Feature" useful, but if you want to disable it here's how and added the FILETABPREVIEW & FILETABTHUMBHOVER commands then the usefulness quotient goes way up.

Just my 2¢

Message 24 of 43
RobDraw
in reply to: smonetus

So, please tell me how your opinions are useful to this thread?

Rob

Message 25 of 43
Anonymous

This is a place to voice opinion, that's why there is a thumbs up button.

I liken the fact that turning on the "Preview" function is like having a rocking stereo system in your car that you cant turn off without researching where the hidden kill switch is for it.

It's a nice feature for some, but It's not always appropriate, like rocking out while you are in a funeral procession 🙂

Autodesk definitely has a habit of "turning things on" when they have a new feature, even if it isn't something you want, use or expect when you first install.

Of course, I'll date myself here, but I'm still peeved they changed the default PGP file to make "C" the circle command from the old Copy command, and "R" for redraw which used to be rotate.

Message 26 of 43
smonetus

I wholeheartedly agree with you, my opinion posts are NOT useful to this thread, as they are not answering the OP's questions or any of the users searching the knowledgeBase for the solution to this issue. 

But that proves my point, when searching the forums for a solution to a problem with AutoCAD, the opinion posts are not really useful, the posts with a solution to the problem are what the searcher was looking for.

Steve

Message 27 of 43
Anonymous

Actually they can be.

Autodesk does read forums and occasionally comments.

Message 28 of 43
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous You cannot count on it in any reliable fashion ever, sorry.

If you want Autodesk's attention you do that here
https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback
and here https://knowledge.autodesk.com/contact-support

HTH
Message 29 of 43
BeKirra

@smonetus wrote:

my opinion posts are NOT useful to this thread, as they are not answering the OP's questions or any of the users searching the knowledgeBase for the solution to this issue. 

Not 100% true as OP expressed that he/she does not like this feature.

@Anonymous wrote

"Please is there a way to turn off this horrible feature?"

Why can't any others post their opinion as you can express your like/dislike?

IMO it won't be any issues if people respond other's ideas without using any offence language.

I personally don't see anything is wrong with @RobDraw posts which are not really off topic.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 30 of 43

FILETABTHUMBOVER=0 was a huge help, thank you

Message 31 of 43
oskar.erdoedy

FILETABTHUMBHOVER (Not only OVER but HOVER) was a really great help. Also FILETABPREVIEW.

Now, I would kindly ask for a method for hover deactivation for Tool Palettes like Layer, External Reference...
Also, the possibility to set those Palettes for single-click-hide (instead of two clicks, as of now).

Message 32 of 43
msimonsMTZ55

Yes, As I said, with these wise guys- feutures, autocad becomes more and more the most stupit program there is.

Autocad offers more features to help dumies to created something.....to sell more of thier program

Therefore....autocad becomes a program for dumies.

Message 33 of 43
JavierFSXL7J

Thank you so much !! 

Message 34 of 43
JavierFSXL7J
in reply to: nlewis1771

thank you !!
Message 35 of 43
msol.guida
in reply to: nlewis1771

i f*ck1ng love you!
Thanks
Message 36 of 43
cristov_

Worst autocad feature ever.

Set

FILETABTHUMBHOVER = 0

FILETABPREVIEW = 0

Message 37 of 43
RobDraw
in reply to: cristov_

Thanks for reiterating a solution. 

Your opinion has no bearing on the issue. 

Rob

Message 38 of 43
msimonsMTZ55

Hi, is there anyone who can tell me how to turn off Gizmo definitively ?

It apears every time at startup of autocad and I have to disable it all the time. 

I cannot find answer to that problem. 

Thanks....

Message 39 of 43
RobDraw
in reply to: msimonsMTZ55

The gizmo is not the topic at hand. Try finding a related thread or better yet, start your own thread.

Rob

Message 40 of 43
btrahan1

Old post but may still be relevant.  That variable can probably be changed in the system registry. If you're not familiar with changing system registry keys, it's really easy, just have to make sure you're changing the appropriate key. Go to Start and open Registry App or go to command prompt and type regedit.exe, then navigate to the appropriate key... it will be somewhere like this location...

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R24.2\ACAD-6100:409\Variables

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta