Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2023 + Microsoft Edge casuing multiple WebView2 instances on startup

44 REPLIES 44
Message 1 of 45
IanH5033
18511 Views, 44 Replies

AutoCAD 2023 + Microsoft Edge casuing multiple WebView2 instances on startup

Does anybody know why AutoCad 2023  opens 3 sets of Microsoft Edge Webview whenever it is started?  I'm running AutoCAD 2023 on Windows 10 Pro and my default browser is Firefox.

@IanH5033 

Topic title has been edited to improve findability by [@handjonathan]. Original: AutoCAD 2023 + Microsoft Edge

44 REPLIES 44
Message 2 of 45
dany_rochefort
in reply to: IanH5033

Not sure why but i would try to re-map the shortcut on the desktop icon to a fresh acad.exe, or erase the old shortcut and make a new one. 

02.png

Message 3 of 45
pendean

Not seeing anything like that here either, same setup as yours: but Firefox is not my default browser either, EDGE is the default.
Message 4 of 45
andrew.perry8

I have noticed similar behaviour here. It opens up 6 copies of edge-webview2 when autocad 2023 is started.

edge-webview2 was installed by the autocad 2023 installer

edge itself is not installed

default browser is ie

autocad 2023 won't start if you uninstall edge-webview2

Message 5 of 45

I'm going to assume no one has found a solution to this one yet? I'm in the process of testing out ACAD 2023 to rollout in my company and my ACAD currently has 8 instances of edge-webview2 running with a single (almost entirely empty) drawing open. 

Message 6 of 45

@daniel_schell_vard wrote:

I'm going to assume no one has found a solution to this one yet?

Start a support ticket through your subscription portal as explained here https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/users-software/support-options#:~....

Message 7 of 45
hgaitang

Same issue here. 

Installed 2023 just yesterday and it has chrashed 4 times already, no large drawings loaded.

Wonder if the Microsoft Edge WebView is related.

hgaitang_0-1657814234496.png

Message 8 of 45
pendean
in reply to: hgaitang
Message 9 of 45
david4528H

Webview2 is not MS Edge.  It is something new mainly for office applications to work with web enabled content but available for other developers to use as well.  I have tried to uninstall it a couple times and it crashes AutoCAD and have needed to do a repair so they must be using it for the web content/ sharing a file, ect.  It also crashes Office apps.   Not crazy about it would be nice if we could turn off this functionality, it is current running 17 processes on my computer not using a lot of CPU and memory and my computer can more than handle it but I like to keep my process minimal as possible. 

Message 10 of 45
mattCLQ3D

I can confirm that whatever the edge web extension is, it causes autocad to hang.  If you open task manager and just 'end task" on the edge portion everything seems to bounce back at least for a bit.  I'm not seeing any ill effects from killing it.  Save your drawing.

Message 11 of 45
gsiragher
in reply to: mattCLQ3D

Has anyone found a fix for this? 

Why is it every time Microsoft decides to update stuff it always crashes all of my software...

Message 12 of 45
pendean
in reply to: gsiragher

@gsiragher wrote:

Has anyone found a fix for this? 

Why is it every time Microsoft decides to update stuff it always crashes all of my software...

Why not just turn off (or roll back) those newly added Microsoft features that create sudden issues for you?

Message 13 of 45
mattCLQ3D
in reply to: pendean

This 'feature' is built into AutoDesk software. You would have to roll updates back to before Autocad existed to get a non-buggy version of Autocad.
Message 14 of 45
Edwin.Rense

I experience the same, after a while these extra's disappear from the taskmanager.

I have renamed the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeWebView\Application\105.0.1343.33\msedgewebview2.exe

to msedgewebview2.exe.old.

AutoCAD 2023 will still start and function.
Do not know what functions are disabled.

Hope this helps

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,

Edwin Rense
Cadac Group AEC BV
Supporting Consultant AEC
Cadac Group .
Message 15 of 45
ali.jahed

Same issue here....

What is going on with Autodesk....? one step forward 100 step backwards....

For God's sake every single time I use "SAVE" it crashes too....(But this is a completely separate issue...)

Message 16 of 45
diegolopez7
in reply to: Edwin.Rense

Yessss! thanks!
Message 17 of 45
cmorrison

This does prevent the WebView2 instances loading, however, I've discovered that it causes the Start tab to be blank.

Message 18 of 45
RichardSF35V

that works!...thanks.
Message 19 of 45
henry.cremieux

I personaly have tried the @Edwin.Rense solution (thank's to him, by the way...) and it's indeed effective. I don't know how to tag his post as accepted solution as reqested in his post. THANK'S again to him !!!...

Autocad 2022 & REVIT 2021 sur PC de bureau avec Windows 7 pro sp.1 64 bits CPU intel coreI7 6700 GPU Nvidia quadro K420 DIRECTX 11.1 RAM 32G Corsair DDR4
Message 20 of 45

Hi @henry.cremieux 

For reference, the original poster can mark a post as the accepted solution. More info can be found here. 

Jonathan Hand

Industry Community Manager | AEC (Architecture & Building)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta