Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 Classic workspace = GONE?

92 REPLIES 92
SOLVED
Message 1 of 93
Anonymous
209566 Views, 92 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 Classic workspace = GONE?

I have installed the new AutoCAD 2015, and although in previous versions we can use classic workspace, in 2015 edition, I can't find this option. Am I missing something?

Image comparing 2014 and 2015: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag155/borimol/autocad_zps7e861118.jpg
92 REPLIES 92
Message 81 of 93
Anonymous
in reply to: freesbee

ing.frison,

Yes the code is currently there for all 3 version but whenever there is a change of operating system or .NET framework or a 3rd party application that causes conflict etc. then they have to be tweaked and changed to be compatible. By having the archaic.... sorry, classic view, the time to make these changes is increased by a third. 33% of Autodesk time used on this instead of useful improvements.

Message 82 of 93
choon72
in reply to: Anonymous

In fact i do not really use drop down menu and toolbars...i use my own lisp
file.
Message 83 of 93
Anonymous

It is unfortunate that this thread has devolved into a generational philosophy debate on the merits of such minor technological advancements.  That is not the intent of this forum and I apologize for further devolving this thread.  But Chrisjuk pushed my buttons (er...uh..toolbars) before my morning coffee. And yes I am griping......and I know the Autodesk Choir could give a s**t.

Maybe we are older than you.  Maybe we seem resistant to changes forced upon us that fix an issue that simply was not broken.  Maybe we are simply tired by technophiles promise of a brighter future that never really seems to come.  We get stuck trying to grapple with their presumptuous improvements and advancements while they try to outdo themselves at the bank....hard to make those deposits from their stretch Model S Limo's? I digress.

I have been trying to keep up Autodesk (vis-a-vis the entire digital design hardware/sofware paradigm) since ACAD R10 and peripherally as far back as 1.2 or 1.3 when a coworker concocted a room sized digital drafting system with one large gas powered P.C. and an early feather quill pen plotter....we watched his frustrations with amusement as we glanced up over our drafting arms and vellum.  Of course there have been advancements that were needed and welcome...but there is also a litany of supposed advancements that some corporate committee thought might be needed and ultimately came and went within a year.  Recent history is littered with such technological advancements.  Us over 40's are cursed with this perspective and I dare say Chrisjuk....you will be too.

Maybe those of us who have soldiered on with ACAD are simply tired of being force fed improvements/advancements where none were really needed and the evolution of the friggen command system is one.  The new ribbon system is not an improvement in speed or accurracy or any other measure of production efficiency (yes this is an anectdotal statement but if you have evidence that proves my opinion wrong I would be happy to be corrected).  It may be appropriate for parametric drawing but for 2-D drafting I was most productive with the traditional toolbar linear commands.  Maybe Autodesk should leave well enough alone.......go ahead and focus on the convergence of VR and BIM.....but leave 2-D ACAD alone.  It's was not broke, it did not need to be improved. By the way it's mid 2015 isn't time for ACAD 2017?   

So any of you technophiles and Autodesk Kool-Aid drinkers who took the time to read this rant...er "gripe"....don't forget....

Just because you can does not mean you should. Technology, and ultimately that is what we are talking about here, should progress our lives by improving it and making it simpler.  Autodesk seems to have forgotten this....or never learned it.

It's called the "Classic" workspace for a reason.  Don't mess with it.

Bytes in the wind.

Coffee flowing.

Message 84 of 93
Anonymous

mdudek,

I liked your post and found most of what you said to be fair points. I understand the struggle of older generations with regards to technology as I seem to be technical support for most of my extended family but my point was that incessant complaining about something that has more that one work around is pointless.

Another point to consider is that although some of the improvements may not be pertinent to your job or mine, AutoCAD is used in such a huge variety of situtions that these improvements do actually help some people most of the time.

Another point to make (from an engineering perspective at least) is that we work in an industry that is generally at the forefront of technological advancements so to complain that the software we use should not change with the times is again (in my personal opinion) ridiculous.

A perfect example of the improvements is the one i originally posted. Create an array in classic and then try with the ribbon and then modify it. Text is easier to use and modify. The workflow from left to right makes it easier to use and to learn, the list is long.

keep well.

Chris

Message 85 of 93
GrantsPirate

I have found the Ribbon to be better for me than the toolbars, especially once I threw out most of the stock ribbon tabs and created tabs for just what I need.  The standard commands are still mostly called with keyboard shortcuts.  I started with Release 9 (version 2.6) and am 61 years old.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 86 of 93
Anonymous
in reply to: GrantsPirate

I creat my own toolbars now that the Classic is gone.

I have EVERY single command I need on tool bars 1 on top and 2 on each side.

This gives me plenty of space for the drawing (I use a 24" Monitor)

I know where ever single icon is...........I can activate each in under a second !

I did try the Ribbon, Modified Ribbons, Ribbons with tool bars.etc..........

But have always returned to my tool bars.........

I to am and oldy-but-goodie (63) Started with DOS 10 and every release since.......>>>2016

I've also watched users USE the Ribbon.............So frustrating to WATCH !!! When I know I can get to that comand in way less time !

I'm sure modifing the ribbon to your own taste works great ! But Why !!!!! With Tool bars is already there ! (I do add tools to most of my toolbars)

Ok my 2 Cents.................Enjoy the weekend !

Ron

Message 87 of 93
pendean

Some people like to use a stick/string/hook/bait, others can only function with professional grade fishing rods and matching attire: to each his own, whatever floats your boat. Either way catches the fish, neither is better if you have no clue about what it is you are doing.

But if you are still hunting and pecking at icons on toolbars/menus or on a Ribbon you all are way too slow and inefficient. Typing and mouse clicking is where the true speed is at AND I started back in DOS Rel9 and every release since then.

So there 🙂
Message 88 of 93
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Point taken....if Autodesk wants to truly improve the user interface then they should go full cerebral implant....all we carbon based vessels will need to do is think of the element we want to create and the machine will take over from there.  This qwerty based command interface is so 2014.

Skynet is pleased none the less.

Time for afternoon nap.

Message 89 of 93
Anonymous

Pendean,

You are correct sir. The fastest way is keyboard and clicks for me too, and your fishing analogy was also hitting the nail on the head. Whether you use a super fancy carbon fibre setup or a stick and string you will achieve the desired result, but to sit there whining because your new carbon firbe rod doesn't look like your old stick and therefore isn't catching as many fish when all you had to do was to make a few minor adustments is silly.

Mdudek,

I would buy you a drink any day my good man, you make me smile..... although I wouldnt look into hololens if I were you, VR and cerebral control is closer than you think.

Its great to see some of these posts from you experienced guys and I do want to make clear that my original post was not an attack on older users but more an observation that the complaints I addressed were more along the lines of someone set in their ways rather than actual problems that could easily be worked around.

Keep well,

Chris

Message 90 of 93
Anonymous

TUTORIAL WORKSPACE CLASSIC - AUTOCAD 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkiW9qsE49c

Message 91 of 93
Anonymous

this is what kills me about Autodesk, who thought it was a good idea to blow away a production method that some of have used for close to 25 years.

why in gobledeegook do you care about how we arrange our workspace. You basically force people to spend hours REMOVING features they DON'T WANT that interferes with their workflow.  WHO MAKES YOUR DESIGN DECISIONS!!????

Message 92 of 93
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

welcome @Anonymous.autodesk.com!

First at all, they just have changed the defaults, they have not taken the option away to work with toolbars as yoiu see in some posts above.

>> who thought it was a good idea to blow away a production method

>> that some of have used for close to 25 years.

Maybe because 25 years in steps of computer time is something like stone age and the time was come (with release 2009) to introduce Ribbons and make them better with every AutoCAD release. Now they have functionality which makes it more easy to work with AutoCAD compared to 25 years ago.

SCNR: The question itself for another thematic (cars): why has Henry Ford changed the situation that you don't need horses in front of your vehicle, that worked well for centuries 😉

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 93 of 93
freesbee
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

mdudek & Ron-C

...yes, you are right man!

Glad to see that I'm not alone in this thinking Smiley Happy

Another relevant point is that the young generations have no idea of AutoCAD, and think that the keyboard is something that should be moved away from the desk to avoid crumbs to fall in when they eat their sandwich. So they think that this way is fine.

But as long as "telepathy input devices" will not arrive on the market, they will never manage to top us up with speed.

It's their problem not ours

Massimo Frison
CAD R&D // PDM Admin · Hekuma GmbH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta