Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad 2015 advanced attribute editor errors

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jwahlbrink
499 Views, 11 Replies

Autocad 2015 advanced attribute editor errors

I am really stumped with this error that has been occurring for me while using the advanced attribute editor in AutoCAD 2015. The weirdest part of this error is it is unreplicatable on demand.  It is intermittent and unpredictable, and occurs maybe once in every 70-100 edits. 

The attached steps recorder demonstrates step by step the error. The PDF is long, but the steps recorder takes a screen grab after every mouse click or keyboard input, and you can move through the PDF quickly. 

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Any clue what could be causing this? 

Attempted fixes have been: Reinstall AutoCAD, Reinstall OS and AutoCAD, and exchange the system RAM and HDD just to rule out faulty hardware. 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
cadffm
in reply to: jwahlbrink

In a PDF we cant see if you edit the right Attributes.

Show us the DWG or All Attributs in the Dialog (expand the Dialogsize, there are more than 5 Atttributes).

Best way: Upload DWg with one example

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
jwahlbrink
in reply to: cadffm

The PDF does show which attributes are edited if you look at the mouse position on the previous slide. The mouse click triggers the screen grab, and the green box highlights the are which was clicked. Also you can see the attributes which are changed in the enhanced editor which are reflected on the drawing for the first edit (editing the part # callout 52-GC5 on slides 12&13), and then not reflected on the second edit (editing part# 1-LP20-12 on slides 14-16). If you look at slide 17 when moving to the next line, you can see the callout 1-LP20-12 appear on the model, but not the attribute editor. 

I dont see how uploading a DWG file will help in this situation as the problem is so intermittent that if you close the editor and do it again all the edits will take without error. I had to resort to using the windows step recorder just to document the error taking place. The workaround of catching the error, closing the editor and re opening it may not sound bad, but if it goes un noticed than the error appears later on sometime down the road and causes more issues. It also significantly reduces working pace. 

Message 4 of 12
cadffm

No, we cant see which Attribute is selected, because in the modelspace we dont see the name or objectID of the Attribute,

we only see the Textvalue (which ist the same value like the attributvalue of PART3, of corse)

Yes, you dont see how it could help, but you too dont see the problem/solution.

We need only one Insert in a DWG.

I can go deep in the DWG-Entity-Properties and check the Situation, but only with a dwg-File.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
cadffm

" if you close the editor and do it again all the edits will take without error."

OH, Im reading that now

That sounds really bad. Appears the Problem ever when Acad is started newly, or only when you work a long(er) time?

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
jwahlbrink

Here is the DWG file for the project in the PDF. The error occurred in RUN 7, but has been corrected already. 

Message 7 of 12
jwahlbrink

"Appears the Problem ever when Acad is started newly, or only when you work a long(er) time?"

If I'm interpreting your question correctly..... I haven't been able to correlate the errors to the length of time AutoCAD has been open. Some days it occurs 3-4 times over an 8 hour period and other days it doesn't occur at all. 

Message 8 of 12
cadffm

command: audit

646 Error found

perhaps it isnt a good sign?

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
pendean

>>>...it is unreplicatable on demand. It is intermittent and unpredictable...<<<
You can't 100% solve a problem you cannot repeat on demand. And neither can we: here is your file, fixed for the errors noted by others, with all attributes for RUN 7 deleted (file only had two instances according to FIND command).

Message 10 of 12
jwahlbrink
in reply to: pendean

"You can't 100% solve a problem you cannot repeat on demand. And neither can we"

That is why I'm stumped on this one. 

And thanks for editing the DWG, but the problem was corrected in the version I uploaded already. I guess this may just remain a mystery. 

Message 11 of 12
jwahlbrink

Perhaps.... I'm not too sure at this point. A problem should be replicable, and then diagnosed and fixed. 

Thanks for taking the time to look into it though. 

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

@jwahlbrink wrote:

And thanks for editing the DWG, but the problem was corrected in the version I uploaded already. I guess this may just remain a mystery.   

Oh that file was FAR from corrected, it had over a dozen unused regapps and several dozen unused blocks.  An audit uncovered 614 recordable errors with the file, half of which were annotation issues and the bulk of the rest were missing XDATA.  The file was started with a vertical or some add-on that left behind a load of garbage, it's a train wreck looking for a resting spot. 

I'd recover the file, purge the heck out of it and save it.  Then use it as a template for a new drawing and save the new file over the old one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report