Did you mean: 

AutoCad 2013 won't let me specify the length of a line

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
40380 Views, 16 Replies

AutoCad 2013 won't let me specify the length of a line

I have used AutoCad for a few years and I installed 2013 to my laptop recently. I immediatly noticed something was wrong. I noticed that I couldnt specify how long a line should be. It seemed like an easy fix, I tried everything I can think of but I cant fix it. When I select the line tool and specify the base point and type how long it should be i.e. 3' and a red box apears around the dimenion box and the line isnt drawn. I tried not specifying a unit of length and it draws the line just fine. But for some reason it wont complete the line if I specify feet or inches. Help me!!

I attached a JPEG screen shot of what is going on, I hope it helps!

Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to Forums!

You have to change units type in drawing (default units are decimal):

Use UNITS command and select Architectural or Engineering in units type drop-down:

Screen Shot 2013-06-14 at 10.28.26.png

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

That worked! Thanks so much!

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

Every time I enter a command, it won't let me type a number period. I can't even click on the numerical value box. Any command, any at all, it keeps popping up the secondary menu options and won't let me tab through functions. What is happening?!

Message 5 of 17
JDMather

dynmode = ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 17
lkramer212

Hello, I am having the same problem I tried your solution and it did not work. Also for my job I am instructed to dimension in Architectural Units. Does your suggestion change the DIMSTYLE? I can't even enter in a designated length for a line. It's very frustrating any help you can provide would be much appreciated, thanks!

Message 7 of 17
lkramer212
in reply to: JDMather

If this is the solution can you please let me know what the value should be? Mine said -3. Thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 17
pendean
in reply to: lkramer212

A minus means it's off.

-3 off
3 on

Change it?
Message 9 of 17
JDMather

dynmode F1

Help Screen.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

I had the same problem, turns out my NUMLOCK was off!! I did learn about dnymode though! Thanks everyone. 

Message 11 of 17
gotphish001

There's a dynomode button on the bottom tool bar. It's usually near the left side of the bar near where you can toggle paper/model space. I think by default the button is off though. You need to hit the 3 horizontal lines in the very bottom right of screen to bring up the list then make sure dynamic input has a check mark next to it. If not check it and it will add the button to the bottom bar. 

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

First set your units to Arch.

Next type DDIM

Modify your dimension.

In modify select Primary Units and select Architectural.

Hit ok, Set as current, exit

Hope this helps!

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

Hi, I'm going through the same problem, dyn mode worked for me, but while using the offset command entering feet is again a problem, I'm doing double work whenever I'm using the offset command.
Message 14 of 17
JDMather

Can you attach *.dwg file here that exhibits this behavior?

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

I'm also experiencing the same problem.  I tried the solutions you suggested above, but this didn't work. After typing the length of the line in the command row nothing happens. I tried not specifying a unit of length and it draws the line just fine. But for some reason, it won't complete the line if I specify centimeters. I'm working on a mac. Thank you in advance. 

Message 16 of 17
pendean

The dedicated MAC forum is over there https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac/ct-p/4051
Message 17 of 17
sreynoldsWXUVZ

This was my problem today, thanks for this!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta