Did you mean: 

Auto Snap Magnet Size

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
MarkFitz
2582 Views, 25 Replies

Auto Snap Magnet Size

Is it possible to increase the magnet size for auto snap so it will snap to the point when I'm a little farther away?  I like using the magnet feature as sometimes, even though the snap is highlighted, when i click to select, it still misses, and I spend an extra second or so PER COMMAND trying to engage the magnet.  It would be helpful if this was an adjustable variable, hint, hint...

Thanks,

Mark

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
pietro.pedone
in reply to: MarkFitz

Hi @MarkFitz , yes, this can be managed via the APERTURE command. To show the current pickbox, you can set APBOX to 1. It only shows if a command is active!

Do let me know if this helped you, and if so, please accept this post as a solution 🙂

Pietro.P
Global Product Support
Autodesk Knowledge Network
Message 3 of 26
cadffm

APERTURE is the correct answer and you will finde this and 1000 more important setting for the system and the active file setting in your OPTIONS dialog.

Aperture = TAB drafting.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-33A0F8E8-9981-4111-AD73-128B20D7975C

[F1]

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 4 of 26
MarkFitz
in reply to: cadffm

So it's the radius around my cursor that increases, not the radius around the magnet?

Message 5 of 26
pietro.pedone

@MarkFitz yes, exactly. You can change the size of the OSNAP glyph but not the "area of influence" of the OSNAP.

If a post in this thread helped you, don't forget to accept it as a solution! 🙂

Pietro.P
Global Product Support
Message 6 of 26
cadffm

@MarkFitz  schrieb:

So it's the radius around my cursor that increases, not the radius around the magnet?

It is the radius/area around the cursor where the SNAP works.

The magnet power is hardcoded and not a setting, sorry.

But what do you mean with " I like using the magnet feature as sometimes,"

I don't understand what you "use". Can you explain what would be better with a bigger radius for the magnet feature!?

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 7 of 26
MarkFitz
in reply to: pietro.pedone

This shows the location of the snap feature sooner, but does NOT engage the magnet any sooner, that's what I'm looking for, that actual SNAP TO the feature, not just showing me where it is

Message 8 of 26
cadffm

We know all about it,

>"This shows the location of the snap feature sooner"

This is NOT to show the (o)snap feature sooner, it is expand the osnap area.

(if you have enable the osnap marker feature, you will also see the marker sooner, that's right, but it is really the snap activation area that get bigger)

And as we both answered above, it is not the "magnet" feature, that's right und you can not change it.

(and my question was: How would  you have a benefit with a hugher magnet featire area? Can you explain it for me?)

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 9 of 26
pietro.pedone

Thank you for clarifying @MarkFitz . Currently, the magnet property is managed by the AUTOSNAP variable and can only be set ON and OFF.

However, I can see why you would like to be able to set the intensity of the pull. I'd like to ask you to then submit this suggestion here: Product Feedback

Also, don't forget to accept as a solution the post that helped you most! 🙂

Pietro.P
Global Product Support
Message 10 of 26
MarkFitz
in reply to: pietro.pedone

The issue I have is that I'll get within the range of the aperture box, and the snap feature will show, but when I click to snap to it, it didn't snap to the snap feature, as if at the very last second, it ignored the snap feature and picked a point that my cursor happened to be at in thin air.  For example, I'm trying to move a line from A to B by means of attaching the 2 ends.  So I want to select the line (item A) and attach it to the end of item B.  I enter the move command and select item A.  I then want to move A from the endpoint of the line (item A), and connect it to the endpoint of line B.  I move close to the end of A, and the squarebox for endpoint shows, but I'm not AT The endpoint of A just yet, the magnet has not yet kicked in.  I see the endpoint, so I click and pick item A, not at its endpoint, but somewhere close.  I go to add this to the endpoint of item B, and take my time so the endpoint feature shows, and then my cursor snaps to the endpoint via the magnet.  But as I missed the endpoint of item A, now there is a gap between the endpoints from A to B.  Does this make any sense?

Basically, I'm wanting to know if the "strength" of the magnet can be increased?

And both of you gents are telling me no, it cannot.  I will try your recommendation though, to see if enlarging the aperture box size does make a difference.

Many thanks to you both.

Mark

Message 11 of 26
MarkFitz

How would I benefit from a larger magnet radius?  Because my cursor would snap to it and lock it in place sooner, thus allowing an easier and less focused role on my part, I wouldn't have to move as close to the end of the line, or whatever feature, and my cursor would already have snapped to the magnet.

Does my explanation make sense, now?

Message 12 of 26
cadffm

Hi,

>"thus allowing an easier and less focused role on my part,"

Oky, but i can not understand "how" it can be a benefit, that is my question.

>"I wouldn't have to move as close to the end of the line"

Note, osnap-snap function has nothing to do with the magnet feature

and the distance for the snap-feature is....APERTURE!

>", or whatever feature, and my cursor would already have snapped to the magnet."

Yes,

BUT how can this be a benefit? Why is it comfortable or better to have the cursor at the same point as the current snap point is?

It is even a hindrance for all my usual drawing work!

Please try it again to explain  why your cursor exactly on the snap point position is better for you than

at the point where the snap works first.

I want to understand "why", but i can not see it at this time,please help me to understand your wish.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 13 of 26
MarkFitz

Because I do not have 100% accuracy with clicking on the osnap feature, I always move closer to the feature until the magnet kicks in and grabs the cursor, so I am assured that I have the correct position that I want.

Does this make sense so far?

This may only take perhaps 1/4 to 1/2, maybe 1 full second each time I do this, but this is per command, so over the course of a work day, it adds up into minutes, even more if I make the mistake and don't grab the correct osnap.

How would this be a benefit, because I wouldn't have to spend more time reaching the correct point, my cursor would already have snapped to the correct point because of the magnet.  I don't execute the command when I see the osnap, I execute the command when I know the magnet has grabbed the cursor, this way I know I am 100% sure that I have the correct location.

"Note, osnap-snap function has nothing to do with the magnet feature

and the distance for the snap-feature is....APERTURE!"

Then perhaps I am confusing the osnap with the magnet.

When I say "snap point" I do NOT mean the invisible grid points on the background of the drawing that the cursor automatically jumps between when you move the mouse.  Let me clarify my use of English, perhaps this is where we are getting confused, and if so, I apologise.  Let me start over and state my terminology.

Snap = the invisible grid points in the background of the drawing that you can adjust the distance between

Grid = the visible grid points in the background of the drawing that you can adjust the distance between

Osnap = ENDpoint, MIDpoint, INTersection, etc.

When I say "snap point" I mean the point in time when you are within range of the magnet and the magnet grabs the cursor and places it exactly onto the osnap location.

Is this better?

I agree, using the snap and grid points does get annoying, and I usually start my drawing by turning all of these off!

From what I can see, APERTURE increases the search radius to find the magnet/osnap, such that it shows you the osnap marker as soon as it comes into range of the aperture radius/area, but it does NOT increase the magnet distance, you still have to move your cursor the same distance close to the magnet before the magnet grabs it.

Is this correct?

What I want is for the magnet to grab the cursor when it is farther away from the osnap marker.

Message 14 of 26
cadffm

As first:

Take a look how much work (=time) i spend for you,

note that i am abolutely the opposite of an beginner or a average user of this software.

So please, take time to read the whole answer, test things if you like,

post a sample if you mean you can recreate a test that shows that my answer is not true.

My time, only for you, please handle with respect - IO know how the program works

and it works in the same way everywhere.

>"Does this make sense so far?"
No, because if you using object snaps, it is not important where the cursor is!
My cursor is 0,24 miles away from the end point of a 1 mile long line,
the result of clicking (while acad uses the snap point) is exactly the same as your cursor stays exactly on the snappoint.

>"even more if I make the mistake and don't grab the correct osnap."
The snap mode (end,mid.. ) you can see by the snap marker shape (and tooltip),
And note: The possibility to snap to the wrong object is bigger on snappoints - where often are multiple objects.
Use a cursorposition on your objects far away from other objects.

>"How would this be a benefit,
because I wouldn't have to spend more time reaching the correct point,"
Thats absolut the opposite of the real live, it's more time consuming because
th cursor jumps (useless) between snap points. It is easier to navigate precisely if the magnet doesn't catch that much / early.

>"my cursor would already have snapped to the correct point because of the magnet."
That's not correct, th cursor would jumpo everytime when he detext a snappoint on an object
and the magnet can net read your thoughts.

>"I don't execute the command when I see the osnap, I execute the command when I know the magnet has grabbed the cursor,"
It' like Vodoo, absolutly useless 😉

>"this way I know I am 100% sure that I have the correct location."
NO, thats abolutly wrong! Trust me!
The only thing what important is, is the snap detection (that you can see by the appearing marker and tooltip, per default setting.

Important notes:

Check your OSNAPCOORD setting,
is it set to 2(defualt), or better to 1? That's ok. Otherwise (0) your Acad will not use objectsnaps.

##

>"When I say "snap point" I do NOT mean the invisible grid points..."
>"Snap = the invisible grid points in the background of the drawing that you can adjust the distance between"
>"Grid = the visible grid points in the background of the drawing that you can adjust the distance between"
>"Osnap = ENDpoint, MIDpoint, INTersection, etc."
YES, but in the whole thread we are talking about "object snapping", so for me it is okay to say snap osnap object snap
- in this thread we mean all the time 'Object snaps'

>"When I say "snap point" I mean the point in time when you are within range of the magnet and the magnet grabs the cursor and places it exactly onto the osnap location."
Is this better?
That's okay as explaination, but not correct.
My attempt at a common language:
snap point = the snapped point of an object (the position where the snap marker appears if enabled)
cursor position = the position of the cursor
cursor position while clicking = the position of the cursor in the moment you confirm the selection

>"From what I can see, APERTURE increases the search radius to find the magnet/osnap,"
not magnet, only for the osnap search.

>"such that it shows you the osnap marker as soon as it comes into range of the aperture radius/area,"
Yes, but it isn't "only the marker".
When you see the marker and you confirm your choice (left clicking), then AutoCAD take the detected osnap coordinates.
Where your cursorposition is, is absolutely irrelevant, irrelevant, uninteresting - as long as the marker is displayed, this determined position is used.

>" (but it does NOT increase the magnet distance,"
Right

>" you still have to move your cursor the same distance close to the magnet before the magnet grabs it."
Right, but it is useless to move the cursor to this point.

>"What I want is for the magnet to grab the cursor when it is farther away from the osnap marker."

We understand what you want and as we wrote:

1. There is no setting for this

2. It is useless and has nothing to do with the precision of the snapped point.

? Sebastian

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 15 of 26
cadffm

And could you test my statements, or the other way around:
Do you have a reproducible example where you can show the opposite?

S

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 16 of 26
Jim
Enthusiast

I'm a bit confused with respect to what you are saying here.  I find it highly annoying when I use osnap, the marker appears, I click and the object it is not at the intended location.   I may be off 0.25 ft, for example.  Having this issue several hundred times per session leaves my feeling fatigued.   

My expectation is that when I see the glyph and click, the point should be in the intended location.   I also assume that the area of influence around my cursor is exactly the same as the glyph area.  That is not quite correct...the area of influence around the curser is the same regardless of glyph shape, I believe.  

Am I understanding how this feature is intended to work?   What exactly is the magnet power that is hard coded?  I started using AutoCAD 30 years ago...it seems that recently, say the last few years, that my cursor is not snapping to the intended location unless I am far more precise (very close to the intended snap point).

It would be grand if you can tell me that I am doing something incorrectly or a simple setting can fix the issue.

Thank you for your thoughts on this problem.

Message 17 of 26
Jim
Enthusiast

"Please try it again to explain  why your cursor exactly on the snap point position is better for you than

at the point where the snap works first."

I now see why you are confused (I don't mean this in a negative context, rather matter of fact).   How do I know when in the area where osnap starts to work?  What seems to happen is that the glyph appears, I click and it's not where is should be...rather it's where the cursor was located.  What you seem to be saying is that when the glyph appears my curser is in the area of influence and snaps to the intended location.   This is not what seems to be occurring.

The only way that what I am saying makes sense is if the area of influence around the curser has not been reached when the glyph appears.   This can't be what is happening...

Jim

Message 18 of 26
cadffm
in reply to: Jim

I will take enough time to answer to each point later this day.

Just one, the snap detection area is set by APERTURE.

You can easily test the distance, also the area shape, it is the same since 30years.

Like to answer in detail, later.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 19 of 26
Jim
Enthusiast

Thank you for the rapid response. Is the size of the glyph related to detection area (what I was referring to as area of influence)?
I do appreciate your time and not attempting to force a reply before it's convenient.
By the way, what I believe is causing the problem are my coordinates. Using the CA State Plane System I could be at E7 ft in the N and E from the origin. AutoCAD only has so many digits available for calculating the new coordinates when in 64 bit (or any system for that matter). The system may be very close to it's precision limit when this far from the origin and errors of a 1/10 when I have all osnap types running is not a surprise. So I am also going to limit the use of all types running simultaneously. Particularly problematic are the nearest and parallel types.
I may be able to run these through my graphics card to increase precision, but not certain.
I tested on a new, clean drawing file at the origin and had none of the problems I am experiencing when using the state plane.
I have routinely used the same templates for many generations of AutoCAD and C3D. My template probably has various artifacts that it has collected over the years that cause unexpected errors. Of course I use the standard tools such as purge and audit occasionally. Also setting the limits just outside of my model can also help various system "issues".
I have only been using these large coordinates in the state plane system for 5-10 years. This also explains why it seems like a new problem (I was obviously a bit off on my timing).
Thanks again,
Jim
Message 20 of 26
cadffm
in reply to: Jim

Hi,

>>" I find it highly annoying when I use osnap, the marker appears, I click and the object it is not at the intended location. "
This should never happen, so it really needs to be looked at more closely.

>>"My expectation is that when I see the glyph and click, the point should be in the intended location."
That should be the case.

>>" I also assume that the area of influence around my cursor is exactly the same as the glyph area. That is not quite correct..."
>>" the area of influence around the curser is the same regardless of glyph shape, I believe. "
I'm not sure what you mean, but the area in which AutoCAD looks for possible objects and, accordingly, in the second step, looks for
the snap points on the objects, is controlled by APERTURE. The visible box is PICKBOX

>>"What exactly is the magnet power that is hard coded?"
A range/distance from the readed or calculated snap point. You can test it, but I am to lazy now,
but it is around ~5Pixel (same or one pixel less than the snap symbol).

>>".it seems that recently, say the last few years, that my cursor is not snapping to"
>>"the intended location unless I am far more precise (very close to the intended snap point)."
One Question: Are you still using a VGA Monitor? With 480 lines (Pixel Vertical), or 720 lines?
or is it a 4k and you running 2160? 3072? Calculate how "big" was a Pixel on your system 20 years
ago and how big now. I guess your result is: Today, much smaller than in the good old days -
and Adesk never(?) changed this interenal hardcoded "magnet field"

>>"How do I know when in the area where osnap starts to work?"
If you have AutoSnap default (or just bit 1), you can see the object snap marker (default in green)

>>"What seems to happen is that the glyph appears,"
You mean the AutoSnap marker.

>>" I click and it's not where is should be ...rather it's where the cursor was located. "
If so, search for the problem.

>>"What you seem to be saying is that when the glyph appears my curser is in the area of influence"
You cursor is in the area where AutoCAD detects one or more objects and on used running osnap found,
the position is marked by the AutoSnap marker.

>>" and snaps to the intended location."
Nothing than the green autosnap marker happen, except your your is 1- ~5 Pixels near to the snap point,
in this case the magnet-feature will move your crosshair to the snap point.

>>"The only way that what I am saying makes sense is if the area of influence around the curser"
>>"has not been reached when the glyph appears. This can't be what is happening..."

The snap glyph (if you mean the AutoSnap symbols for End Mid and other object snaps)
appears if 1. the feature is on 2. the cursor is near enough to your objects (Aperture setting)
From this second if the symbol appears, the object snap should work!

- - -

You have trouble, it often not working like that? Your think your last post #19 could be the answer!
High (or very low <1) coordinates! But I guess the issue appears just for calculated snaps (like PER, but not or not often for END, or?)

Sebastian

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report