Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-Publish to PDF 2016

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
andymp2000
1292 Views, 14 Replies

Auto-Publish to PDF 2016

With the recent upgrade to 2016, does anybody knwo which of the new AutoCAD PDF pc3 files are used with the Auto-Publish function?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
pendean
in reply to: andymp2000

The same one it always has, the original Pc3 file.
Message 3 of 15
andymp2000
in reply to: pendean

I assume you are referring to the 'DWG to PDF.pc3' file?

If thats the case - why do my Auto-Published PDF's not publish correctly when I have copied the PC3 file from 2015 to 2016?

Message 4 of 15
pendean

Why did you copy the pc3 file from 2015 to 2016?
Bad idea.
What does "not publish correctly" mean to the rest of us what over here? What are your PUBLISH options to output to PDF? We can't read your mind or see your screen, provide a lot more details please, enough for all of us to exactly replicate your issue WITHOUT COPYING 2015 PC3 FILES TO 2016 😉
Message 5 of 15
andymp2000

Dean

Don't just make a comment of 'Bad Idea' without backing it up... I asked the question of which PC3 file was used as whichever one I try to edit doesnt appear to make the necessary tweaks I require to make the Auto-publish work correctly and not clip the edges of our company drawing template.

I am sure you are aware (or maybe not) that 2015 came with one PC3 file relating to PDF's, 2016 has five.

You don't need to see my screen, you dont need anymore details - if you are a so called 'Expert' answer the question that I asked and dont assume you are better than others, who gave you the 'Expert' title anyway?

I look forward to a geniune reason (backed up by fact) that copying a PC3 file from 2015 to 2016 is a Bad Idea and if you are the font of all knowledge - answer the question.

Message 6 of 15
pendean

So we PUBLISH to PDF all day long and we have no issues: how is your publishing different from what we do? explain it so I can reproduce your problem WITHOUT my having to copy the 2015 PC3 file into 2016.

You asked for help in a very round-about way: do you want help? Or do you want to just tell me how you don't need my help? Make your mind up and come back when you are ready.

Good luck.
Message 7 of 15
CameronClark

I had a similar probem in that every time i save the pdf is published and then opened with my default viewer i dont want the PDF opened. I know in the pc3 files there is a check box "show results in viewer" I have this unchecked in the DWG to PDF.pc3 (which was the old file for 2015). This did not fix the problem, there are 4 other pdf pc3 files General, High Quality, Smallest and web. I went through and unchecked them one by one and it is the AutoCAD PDF(General Documention). my only niggle now is i can't find anywhere in the options where i can choose which pc3 file to use for the autopublish, there seems only to be PDF, DWF and DWFx. Does any know where to change this.

Message 8 of 15
pendean
in reply to: CameronClark

PUBLISH command: which 'pdf' option are you selecting to use on that pop-up?
Message 9 of 15
CameronClark

It is the automatic publish i would like to now how to change which pc3 file it used.

under the options, plot and publish tab, Automatic publish settings (automatic publish check box ticked), file format, their are 3 choices PDF, DWF, DWFx.

I tried the publish command it has the same 3 settings PDF, DWF, DWFx and plotter named in page setup, which is set for my printer.

My question is there must be a setting that lets autocad know when the autopublish is run which PDF pc3 file to use, their are 5 PDF pc3 files now with autocad 2016. I also now it is set to use the general documention.pc3 file as i can change settings in that file to change my results. May be I want to use the highest quality print.pc3.

I keep 2 files of my drawings the dwg and a pdf. the autopublish is great as it keeps my pdf's up to date.

Message 10 of 15
pendean

Are you sure you edited the correct PC3 files? Using 2016 here, I went into all of the 2016 PDF pc3 files and turned off the option to open the file after completion then testing PUBLISH and not a single PDF opened after completion. Win7 64bit here, I have total admin read/write control on the server folder where the PC3 files are stored.

PLOTTERMANAGER command while in your current AutoCAD session opens up the correct folder where your PC3 files are being used by PLOT and PUBLISH commands.
Message 11 of 15
CameronClark

May be i haven't explained well enough, I don't have any trouble with the .pdf opening anymore as i turned off the option in the general pdf file so it now does not open the pdf viewer when i save(and that is how i know what file the autopublish is using). My question is how do you change which pdf file the autopublish uses (noting autocad has provided 5). Currently set to the general file. Can't find any settings to change this. Is their one? Its actually not a big problem, i guess i like to know how to change things. 

Message 12 of 15
CameronClark

I think this is the same problem the first person who started this post he has his own pc3 and would like to use it for the autopublish.
Message 13 of 15
andymp2000

Cameron

I don't think Dean 'the expert' understands what you or I are asking. From what I understand of your posts, you are questioning which PC3 file is used for the autopublish function that creates either a PDF (or DWF when that option is chosen) when either saving or closing a drawing.

From what I can tell from your latter posts, you have found which of the PC3 files that creates the PDF as you say you have managed to switch off the auto-preview. I have had a good look through the system variables and cannot find anything that allows the user to change the PC3 file used and as you will have found, there is nothing in the auto publish settings dialog box to change this either.

Regards

Andy

Message 14 of 15
pendean

That may well be the case Andy the 'enthusiast' 😉

The ones used in AutoPUBLISH are:
DWG to PDF.PC3
DWG to DWF.PC3
DWFx ePLOT.PC3
And no, you cannot change them on any pop-up to variable or command but if you are desperate to do so I can't see any reason why you could not try renaming the ones you want to use to one of these instead. I'd be curious how that works out.
Message 15 of 15
CameronClark

Thanks for the help no need to keep looking,just for interest I renamed the AutoCAD PDF (General Documentation).pc3 to see what would happen and sure enough there was an error when I saved the drawing but still no way of changing or selecting another file. so it defently uses this file and not the old DWG to PDF.pc3 file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta