Did you mean: 

Array switching to a 3D display (why?)

40 REPLIES 40
SOLVED
Message 1 of 41
hanslammerts
2352 Views, 40 Replies

Array switching to a 3D display (why?)

(Check the icon to see the switching of display mode)

It feels like the new Array function was meant ONLY for 3D use. Which i find quite a silly thought.

Noticed this behaviour over several new AutoCAD releases and it keeps bugging me.

Autodesk, can you please stop this mechanism?

It is a useless waist of time / computerpower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZimGtiziSc

40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41
john.vellek
in reply to: hanslammerts

Hi @hanslammerts,

I apologize but I am not following the issue you are describing. The video is pretty fuzzy and I am missing out on what the problem is.  Can you perhaps explain in a bit more detail what the array issue is and include a couple of screen captures?  I am happy to see if I can find a solution for you.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 41
edwin.prakoso
in reply to: john.vellek

I think what @hanslammerts wants to say is the Visual Styles changes from 2D Wireframe to 3D Wireframe when he activates the Edit Source command. 

If this post solves your problem, please mark it as solved. It will help others with a similar problem to find a solution.

Kind regards,

Edwin Prakoso
LinkedIn | Website | Twitter
Message 4 of 41

That is exactly right Edwin! Here is a animated gif for you.

A simple line in 2D my video card can handle that pretty good. ..but as you might know ...

doing more complex 3D modelling switching from 2d to '3D conceptual' styles and vice versa does hold up and consumes computer power!

So... Save the world ! Save Energy ! 😉 .. Save my time and don't switch when i don't tell you to..

capirsi2017-09-28_11-01-12.gif?

Message 5 of 41
john.vellek

Hi @hanslammerts,

Thanks for the clarification.  The Array command does allow you to array in three dimensions which is what you are seeing the behavior do but I am not sure why the visual style is changing. Mine does not do that. Does this behave differently with different types of geometry? Can you share a file that displays this behavior?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 6 of 41
hanslammerts

What version are you using? I'm on 2017.
It is in AutoCAD, not in files
Message 7 of 41
john.vellek

Hi @hanslammerts,

I am currently using AutoCAD 2018 but I have tested this behavior in 2017 and 2016 on my computer as well.

Perhaps I am missing some steps.

Here is what I did:

• Created a new drawing and verified that 2D Wireframe was set to be current.
  • I draw a line
  • Next, I start ARRAY and make a rectangular 2D array.
  • I double-click on the array and the array edit ribbon appears. The Visual style is still 2D Wireframe.

John Vellek

Message 8 of 41
hanslammerts

Did you EDIT array ???
Message 9 of 41
hanslammerts

Apparently not.
Message 10 of 41
john.vellek

Hi @hanslammerts,

Yes, I did edit the array by adding an extra column to my rectangular array. I apologize that I forgot to type this step into the list.

Is it possible to share a sample file? I would like to see if there is something different in your file compared to mine.

John Vellek

Message 11 of 41
hanslammerts

Behaviour STARTS when Editing is activated
Message 12 of 41
hanslammerts

Strange than. Probably a dutch version of AutoCAD;-)
Message 13 of 41
hanslammerts

Will get back to you later ok.
Message 14 of 41
john.vellek

Hi @hanslammerts,

In case this is unique to the Dutch version of AutoCAD, I have brought the issue to the attention of the localization team.  I will try report back with any findings.

John Vellek

Message 15 of 41
edwin.prakoso

Hi @john.vellek,

It is not a localized issue. I can reproduce it on AutoCAD 2018 English. You can see it in the screencast. The UCS changes when the command is active, showing that the Visual Style is no longer 2D wireframe. 

If this post solves your problem, please mark it as solved. It will help others with a similar problem to find a solution.

Kind regards,

Edwin Prakoso
LinkedIn | Website | Twitter
Message 16 of 41
hanslammerts

Wow, i didn't know you guys have Dutch edition, was meant to be a joke.. Lol.

So it is confirmed to be a wider issue now? My colleguas had it too.

Message 17 of 41
john.vellek

Hi @hanslammerts,

I am sorry, I figured you meant Deutsch but I typed Dutch like you did. My error!

Thanks @edwin.prakoso, your video was clearer to me and I am now able to reproduce this behavior as well. Let me do some research on this and I will get back to you.

John Vellek

Message 18 of 41
hanslammerts

On other thing about the 'Edit mode' of an array.

Somehow my right mouse button is working not as it should.

It ignored the setting i work with

Feels like a bug, Hope Autodesk can fix this too with new release coming.

Naamloos.jpg

Message 19 of 41
hanslammerts

Tested this in 2019.

Still the same.

Silly and useless swithing of visual styles, not responding correctly keyboard..

I'll think i have to come back here in 2020 or so. Annoying bug.

Message 20 of 41
hanslammerts

confirm.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost